UN$W (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
The main purpose of a University is to make money from undergrads to fund research projects, they also get government grants and some companies. Uni has always been about money.
Just money or money to fund research projects?

TheStallion

HSC
Well the research that the unis pump out brings in way more money, international reputation, and international staff than anything an undergrad would be doing, so yes, money to fund research, which will ultimately bring in more money.

Fees are fine, cheap even, for all us domestic students. The only issue is internationals and ASB fees, but if you're coming here from another country it makes sense that you should have to pay heaps, taxpayers shouldn't need to support non-citizens.

ASB, yeah, bit of a bitch, especially over summer. Not really sure why it costs so much either, it's not like they have labs etc like sciences/engineering where there's a real material cost/safety cost, all they do is lectures/tutes, it's weird.

Last edited:

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Well the research that the unis pump out brings in way more money, international reputation, and international staff than anything an undergrad would be doing, so yes, money to fund research, which will ultimately bring in more money.

Fees are fine, cheap even, for all us domestic students. The only issue is internationals and ASB fees, but if you're coming here from another country it makes sense that you should have to pay heaps, taxpayers shouldn't need to support non-citizens.

ASB, yeah, bit of a bitch, especially over summer. Not really sure why it costs so much either, it's not like they have labs etc like sciences/engineering where there's a real material cost/safety cost, all they do is lectures/tutes, it's weird.
Your paying for a premium service =/= cost to provide
but on that point why wouldn't summer courses be > than in session ones? Economies of scale? i mean how many people take summer courses compared to in session ones? probably 25% or less?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The elite minority who have worked out how to steal from the majority always screw over the majority.

TheStallion

HSC
Your paying for a premium service =/= cost to provide
but on that point why wouldn't summer courses be > than in session ones? Economies of scale? i mean how many people take summer courses compared to in session ones? probably 25% or less?
I don't see how the ASB offers a "premium service" compared to any other faculty. Also no other faculties jack up their prices over summer, so why does the ASB?

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
I don't see how the ASB offers a "premium service" compared to any other faculty. Also no other faculties jack up their prices over summer, so why does the ASB?
Are you sure that your just not paying a government subsidised price during semesters?

TheStallion

HSC
Even if we are paying a govt. subsidised price during semesters, why won't the government subsidise the ASB fees as well? Also why would they remove the subsidy over summer for the ASB, but keep it for every other faculty? It makes absolutely no sense.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Elec eng. subjects are government subsidised (for Aus. citizens) in all three semesters.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if we are paying a govt. subsidised price during semesters, why won't the government subsidise the ASB fees as well? Also why would they remove the subsidy over summer for the ASB, but keep it for every other faculty? It makes absolutely no sense.
The subsidised courses are a national priority, ASB students don't really benefit society much.

TheStallion

HSC
Yeah that's true, I guess I just don't get why summer prices skyrocket in the ASB while they don't in any other faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)