UNC Med (1 Viewer)

loser

scene police
I think I fucked my interview.

Originally posted by Lexicographer
Korry, In Australia the top 3 medical courses are UNC (undergrad), USyd (graduate), UNSW (undergrad). This is according to a few people I've asked, including doctors and careers advisers. There aren't any "studies" to my knowledge that demonstrate this (to answer an earlier question) but rather on the consensus of Australian doctors, as well as the rate of positions gained as interns and registrars as to graduates (more grads accepted = better course). However, all medical schools in Australia are of a high calibre (as they are so few and extremely competitive) and so I do not think hospitals will "not give you a try" on the basis of coming from, say, Adelaide. You may have an edge in application by graduating from a NSW university, but it doesn't make THAT much of a difference.
I would say that that ranking is wrong. I read of a study/article about the top medical schools. I think Monash, UWA and Newcastle were top 3.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
There aren't any "studies" to my knowledge that demonstrate this (to answer an earlier question) but rather on the consensus of Australian doctors...
Originally posted by loser
I would say that that ranking is wrong. I read of a study/article about the top medical schools.
why are you challenging lexi? note what he said, and look at your reply.

IMO, doesn't matter which med school, but on the east coast its generally accepted that UNC is one of the best.

Last edited:

loser

scene police
I don't see what the problem is. I'm not challenging him, I'm challenging the doctors and careers advisors which he asked.

Why don't you read my reply more carefully, fool.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
lexi said "There aren't any "studies" to my knowledge that demonstrate [that the top med schools are UNC, UNSW and USYD]", but that conclusion is based on the opinion of medical professionals... you, on the other hand, are basing it from a study you had read, right?

that is why i highlighted in red the word "study", because there is a difference. therefore that his ranking is not "wrong", but the conclusion from a different set of data. you will give people the wrong idea if you ignore the general consensus of the medical profession (the ones who are going to employ/supervise you in the future). also note that UNSW Medicine is changing their syllabus from 2004, therefore their new program is also worthy of high consideration.

not trying to pick a fight here, just think your message came thru a bit strong. and surely a fool cannot type all of the above, right?

Last edited:

loser

scene police
I hope for your sake that you aren't this much of a wanker in real life.

I can find fault in your wording and statements too. Believe me, you're nothing special.

And you really shouldn't make assumptions which have no factual basis. Why don't you read through your reply and see. Also, just because a conclusion is made from a 'different' set of data, does not mean it can't be wrong.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Please stop this. Frigid is not saying that you are wrong, but rather that we are quoting from different sources. I for one would be very interested to see a link or something to this article, as I completely neglected the west coast schools when making my applications.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yayy!! finished all mah interviews today with the friendly folk at university of western australia...what can i say? The uni itself is traditional and wenhui could probably materialise his sandstone fetish here ^^; my only qualms are that it's a bit removed from civilisation and nuttin much to do in perth...after a while its "been there done that"

so overall if i was reqd to rate my interview performances:

unsw: 4/10
newc: 7/10
monash: 6/10
wa: 9/10

good luck for those of u who have interviews yet...gluck in hindsight to melb stoodents and gluck in advance to hsc students :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Seeing my UAI today has brought home that I'm simply NOT doing med in the next four years. I'm removing all applications from my various preferences lists, as well as cancelling my pending interviews at Monash and Adelaide. This has been an absolutely terrible end to what was an excellent series of applications. :(

crackerj

HSC
N/A
Usyd, UNSW and Newcastle are top medical schools in NSW, not necessarily in Australia....

In terms of history and tradition, melbourne and sydney unis are the best ones...

But in terms of education, every uni is similar.

So no ranking I should say....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Seeing my UAI today has brought home that I'm simply NOT doing med in the next four years. I'm removing all applications from my various preferences lists, as well as cancelling my pending interviews at Monash and Adelaide. This has been an absolutely terrible end to what was an excellent series of applications. :(
Dont lose hope.. i srsly dunno why u would remove ure application cos ure prolly goin to be a better student than most of my friends trying to do med.. ure passionate.. otherwise u wouldnt even try reading gray's

well hope u keep trying

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
well hope u keep trying
Thanks. :) I said I won't be doing med in the next four years, since my UAI is nowhere near the expected 98 for UNSW or 95 for Newcastle, making transfer impossible. I do plan, however, on having a shot at GradMed. It's supposed to be better course-wise than undergrad anyway, and I still get to take languages without frying my brain.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
OI! UNCLE never actually gave me any feedback about the result of my interview performance, despite them saying they WOULD...unless of course they were referring to the main round offers, which is very lame/annoying....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm not happy about that either. I am thinking of calling and asking about it, since I didn't get into med anywhere due to the UAI...

eskimo

It's cold outside
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by crackerj
Usyd, UNSW and Newcastle are top medical schools in NSW, not necessarily in Australia....

In terms of history and tradition, melbourne and sydney unis are the best ones...

But in terms of education, every uni is similar.

So no ranking I should say....
Umm.. arent they the only medical schools in NSW?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah they are (undergraduate). there is also a newly established graduate medical program at ANU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)