Underperform despite hard work? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Hey guys,

I don't know why, but my Term 4 results at school isn't exactly the sort I want. Lately I am troubled with bad thoughts that I have completely bombed out in another 3 assessments this week. I mean I have tried really, really hard preparing for assessments. Practice essay, past exam/trial questions, you name it... At times, school has become a cycle of frustration because of the max effort I put in yet shitty returns.

I am not sure whether my approach to studies are effective, and I hope to hear constructive opinions so to ractify this problem ASAP before its too late. My hope of getting a decent UAI and going to uni is slowly diminishing.

:(

Last edited:

ccc123

HSC
Your obviously working hard, but if your not getting the results you want, maybe you need to reevaluate your study techniques. Do you study productively? Are you understanding what's expected in each assessment? Are you understanding the content, or just memorising it? etc etc.

cs01001

HSC
I try to understand and make clear of concepts in everything I do, except maybe humanities such as Geography/Modern where more memorising work is needed. Trouble is I have a very limited memory with little facts and figures. I can understand stuff perfectly and then forget it in a few days. As you can imagine, add in the stress factor from exams, it really stuffs everything up.

I am not really sure whether I am studying effectively using the limited time I have, but I will definitely reevaluate it sometime later tonight.

calslut

Banned
HSC
Are you sure your results are actually disappointing, rather than your school being very harsh markers? Especially english, the difference between like 50 rankings can be 2 marks if it's an essay out of 15.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
It's not how hard you study, it's how effectively you study. Perhaps you need to rethink your learning strategies.

cs01001

HSC
calslut said:
Are you sure your results are actually disappointing, rather than your school being very harsh markers? Especially english, the difference between like 50 rankings can be 2 marks if it's an essay out of 15.
Quite a few of the teachers I have are HSC markers and they marking is fair and square. Though my school is not to the extent of 2 marks dropping 50 ranks, competition is still fierce in subject with large candidature ie Maths and Advance English.

Aplus said:
It's not how hard you study, it's how effectively you study. Perhaps you need to rethink your learning strategies.
I think its probably the ineffective strategies that is affecting the grades I am getting.

Any advice? I really hope to turn it all around in a short period of time :(

calslut

Banned
HSC
mmm well, what i do is make acronyms, the more ridiculous the better.

they are sweet, for example my most recent one which is for the principals of training in PE

Progressive overload
Specificity
Reversibility
Variety
Training thresholds

I came up with this to remember it:
Penis
Sucked
Ranga
Vadge
Tonight

It doesn't even make sense, but i'll never forget them now. Try them for geography/modern, then you can just bullshit the rest - as long as you remember the basis for it you should be fine, then you can bridge it off into your big spiel.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Maybe its your preformance INSIDE the exams.

Try practising under exam situations?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well, just keep trying imo. Do rote-learning, and then with all your effort, just continuously do questions and past papers. Do your practise essays, and get them scrutinised by as much teachers as possible.

Learn about exam techniques- how you should approach time management, and how to structure your answers in a way where you're gaining full marks.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
My friend works so much harder than I do but he recieves only average results, for some people that is just their limit however I think in your case it may be some ineffective study habits. People learn in different ways and it could simply be you need to reevaluate your study technique. Good Luck ;)

HSC
poor jase :(
i'm certain you're just overreacting.

maybe it's how much you're stressing.
some people work better under pressure - others not so much.

just relax. and study like crazy at the same time.
(my logic is flawed).

munchiecrunchie

HSC
try reading your notes to urself and pace up and down a hallway. it really helps to memorise a bunch of facts.

Paj20

HSC
cs01001 said:
Hey guys,

I don't know why, but my Term 4 results at school isn't exactly the sort I want. Lately I am troubled with bad thoughts that I have completely bombed out in another 3 assessments this week. I mean I have tried really, really hard preparing for assessments. Practice essay, past exam/trial questions, you name it... At times, school has become a cycle of frustration because of the max effort I put in yet shitty returns.

I am not sure whether my approach to studies are effective, and I hope to hear constructive opinions so to ractify this problem ASAP before its too late. My hope of getting a decent UAI and going to uni is slowly diminishing.

:(
what do you mean by 'bombed out'

Mayb your stressing to much before exams and such and getting in there and forgetting everything or writing essays that dont make sense..

ccc123

HSC
cs01001 said:
I try to understand and make clear of concepts in everything I do, except maybe humanities such as Geography/Modern where more memorising work is needed. Trouble is I have a very limited memory with little facts and figures. I can understand stuff perfectly and then forget it in a few days. As you can imagine, add in the stress factor from exams, it really stuffs everything up.

I am not really sure whether I am studying effectively using the limited time I have, but I will definitely reevaluate it sometime later tonight.
Hmm I do Modern. What helps me with modern is just reading the textbook and trying to actually understand it all rather than memorise it, though I would agree there are plenty of dates to learn. I think maybe its just your exam technique: do you have time management issues or anything?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, with Modern, I understand the information without memorising it because I have a great interest it. Could interest in the subjects be another factor?

cs01001

HSC
I will answer that question about Modern in detail tomorrow, lol.

Anyway thanks for all the sugestions/tips so far. I will try to evaluate my approach towards learning. But a great thank you and keep the advice coming!

Btw, anyone got a strategy to revise for Chemistry Half Yearly. Chem is worst subject but after some revision, I think I am 80% covered for Production. I hope I can put all these advice to use in Half Yearly to improve marks.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, Chemistry is thw worst subject for me due to my negligence. Just keep on going over the work, your sheets, textbooks (Conquering Chemistry, Jacaranda, Contexts whatever) and then just do questions. Do the textbook questions and then head to past papers.

Get people to test and quiz you, and just keep on cramming the information until you understand and recall the concepts without needing to resort to looking at your notes.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
cs01001 said:
Lately I am troubled with bad thoughts that I have completely bombed out in another 3 assessments this week. I mean I have tried really, really hard preparing for assessments.

maybe cos you're just forcing yourself to do this certain subject, which isnt exactly suitable for your personality?

do something you enjoy and you'll see the marks you want

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
by definition it is impossible to underperform if you don't have any expectation to do well.

it's all relative hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)