Unfair! (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
the cost doesn't matter... u might pay 100k for da whole medicine course, but after dat u make a lot more... in australia even if u want to pay that amount u can't
go there then

klh

HSC
are you sure its uni? i thought most students go to college and get a Dip, and if they want to go further uni is then the option.
My cousin lives in Canada and he was one of the people who topped the state, they sent over a clipping in the newspaper for us...he goes to uni but he has to pay it all, they dont have provisions like hecs for us in canada...

FinalFantasy

HSC
well according to friend he said it's uni..
and theone.. i would go if i had da $$$$=P

MoNNiE

HSC
college is practically the same thing as university in america

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
In the US you only need a certain GPA to be admitted to a College (university). However, that's not all there is to the story. First of all, college admissions are more competitive over there and there are a lot more of them. The main competition isn't to get into a college, but to get into WORTHWHILE college. Unlike here, the quality of courses is not assured and there are plenty of local colleges who may award you a degree which would simply be laughed at by employers.

Secondly, to "get in" and pass doesn't assure you of a profession - courses in US colleges are all of a general education type, where students take a major but must also study other things to be more "rounded" in their education. This has its benefits, as educated few in America actually know about stuff that isn't in their major field of interest and aren't narrow in their intelligence. However, this also means that you don't graduate and enter an actual profession. Once you finish your first degree to get into anything worthwhile (Medicine, Law, Business, Pharmacy etc) you go BACK to college and study on. This is why Americans have "premeds" and "prelaws" - they are undergraduate students working to attain their first qualification so they can then go on to their graduate courses.

To enter the graduate courses you then need to fulfil a GPA cutoff, and their equivalents are even tougher than the UAI cutoffs we see here for Law and Medicine at the primary institutions (eg Harvard). Of course, you could get in with a lower score - if you don't mind getting your MD (MBBS) or JD (LLB) at Bob's College-O-Rama.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
In reply to original post:

Don't you think people with UAIs of 90, 95 100 would be hard working as well?

If you end up with 80 and are hard working, that might tell you something - maybe uni isn't the place to be for you.

And who said life was fair?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
In the US you only need a certain GPA to be admitted to a College (university). However, that's not all there is to the story. First of all, college admissions are more competitive over there and there are a lot more of them. The main competition isn't to get into a college, but to get into WORTHWHILE college. Unlike here, the quality of courses is not assured and there are plenty of local colleges who may award you a degree which would simply be laughed at by employers.

Secondly, to "get in" and pass doesn't assure you of a profession - courses in US colleges are all of a general education type, where students take a major but must also study other things to be more "rounded" in their education. This has its benefits, as educated few in America actually know about stuff that isn't in their major field of interest and aren't narrow in their intelligence. However, this also means that you don't graduate and enter an actual profession. Once you finish your first degree to get into anything worthwhile (Medicine, Law, Business, Pharmacy etc) you go BACK to college and study on. This is why Americans have "premeds" and "prelaws" - they are undergraduate students working to attain their first qualification so they can then go on to their graduate courses.

To enter the graduate courses you then need to fulfil a GPA cutoff, and their equivalents are even tougher than the UAI cutoffs we see here for Law and Medicine at the primary institutions (eg Harvard). Of course, you could get in with a lower score - if you don't mind getting your MD (MBBS) or JD (LLB) at Bob's College-O-Rama.
You also have SAT and ACT scores at most universities over there. Plus the admission essays and extracirricular stuff they take into account.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
There are 2 ways to get things done in life, you either know something and do it yourself or you possess something that will get someone else to do it for you.

In this case Australia places a greater emphasis on what you know whereas overseas it's what you have. You might specifically find the HSC system unfair, well you don't have to go overseas for an alternative you just have to go to another state.

If you feel you have more money than UAI you can do exactly the same thing in Australia but be prepared to pay. One such example is the full fee places, another example is Bond University http://www.bond.edu.au/

If you think it's so great you must not be in contact with many lower to middle class American University students who are going to be in debt for a loooooooong time due to their student loans.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
AUS hav more generous welfare system.... HECS loans......
well atm yes..
the funniy part is that we are shifting to a user-pays system..

lik in the US :)..
i hope that it doesnt becomes a case of 'u hav money' then u get to do B. Xyz of ure choice..
but then i always did prefer the UK and US interviews for certain subjects :)

yer i think med and law around the country is about 90ish.. but these subjects arent a walk in the park either... but then neither is engy..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
flyin' said:
In reply to original post:

Don't you think people with UAIs of 90, 95 100 would be hard working as well?

If you end up with 80 and are hard working, that might tell you something - maybe uni isn't the place to be for you.

And who said life was fair?
maybe they did scaling down subjects, or maybe you can get into uni with an 80...?

I hope you just meant medicine, not just uni in general.

Last edited:

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i know someone who got 60s for uai who has a distinction average and she obviously copes fine. but then she bludged school.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
obviously...but GENERALLY uai is the best indication of ability. Of course there are exceptions...
true. what other way is there. you cant just say "im smart" or throw an IQ at selectors...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
maybe they did scaling down subjects, or maybe you can get into uni with an 80...?

I hope you just meant medicine, not just uni in general.
looks as tho i was referring to med, but the idea can be applied to other things. take law for example at unsw/usyd. i wouldn't like someone's chances of doing well if they were hardworking for the hsc and managed 80.

Bannanafish

HSC
FinalFantasy said:
According to a uni student in Canada, you don't need any specific "UAI" to enter desired courses there.. all you need to do in high school is get an average mark, that lets you get into uni... den u can do any course you like...
That means those ppl who would only get like 80 UAI in australia could've done things like Medicine in uni!!

that's unfair isn't it!!
that's a pretty simple-minded arguement

firstly, if there were no restrictions, heaps of people would want to do med.
they wouldn't physically have the space or the staff numbers to cope with the demand.
obviously they would have a method of choosing their students.... oh lets see, shall we go by their shoe size or their high school marks?

hypothetically, say, they had a massive campus and 5000 student lecture theatres so everyone got in.
are you (as a uni) going to graduate all those drop kicks? and let your uni's reputation go down the drain?
if you kick the poorer students out, there goes the 80uai equivalent students
if you don't kick anyone out, the degree would be less useful than a roll of toilet paper

and your arguement of geting 80 and then getting through medicine by being "hard working", why weren't you "hard working" to get a proper uai to get into medicine in the first place?

FinalFantasy

HSC
hahaha... i don't know man, friend told me u can just choose any course once u get an average mark to get into uni in canada. o.o
anyway i made this thread out of boredom, and now it's a huge thing lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)