Uni marks needed to transfer into Vis Comm? (1 Viewer)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
So... I thought that UAC would be taking my ATAR when applying for the transfer, but it turns out they'll be using 90% of my uni marks and 10% of my atar (cry.)

I also found this information out too late to submit a portfolio, because the last day was Oct 30. I that I didn't have to submit one by admin staff, because it was just going on my atar. :(

I've heard it's really competitive to get in, so I was wondering what sort of uni marks i'd need? I've only done 3 subjects at uni and I got 74/75/76, and my ATAR was 99.1. I'm so upset, I only found out today that they'd look at my uni marks and i'm so set on going there :( Do you think I have a chance?

Last edited:

msh

HSC
It is competitive, but I wouldn't worry about it in your case. So long as you put vis comm design down as your first preference.
After all you do have a 99.1 UAI ATAR, and 74~76 at uni equates to high credit - distinction.
Though you should contact their student admin or perhaps the course director for assurance.
http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/dab/staff/list.cfm?UnitID=130
Hope this helps. :)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Ahh, thank you so so much for the reply. Do you know whether they will see both my atar and my uni marks seperately? Or will uac just automatically combine them into one mark?

I did call student admin but they told me you just need a credit average to be considered. I thought that might be just their default answer though, because from what i've read, it sounds a lot more difficult. Thanks for that link though, I might try to contact the course director.

msh

HSC
It's a combination of both uni marks and your ATAR. I believe credit average is the minimum that you are required to be considered. So obviously the higher the better chance you have at being accepted. Vis com at UTS is one of the most competitive creative arts degree in Australia but with your ATAR of 99.1 I can't see how you could go wrong... Considering last year's cut off was somewhere near 94. Cheers.

Last edited:

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Hey, thanks for your reply. I did actually email the course director as you suggested but the email was forwarded to another member of staff to reply.

I thought I'd put this here in case anyone else stumbles across this page in the future. This is what he said in the email:

"It would appear there may be some confusion in how we assess applications for our Design courses and more specifically Visual Communication in line with academic consideration.

We do not use a 10% of the latest secondary results and 90% of the best tertiary qualifications calculation and instead will consider the best qualification for non current school leavers unless the applicant has been previously excluded from university.

What this means is that if your ATR (high School results are better than your University study then we would considered the ATAR results first.

I hope this clarifies things for you however you can find more details on our admission requirements at http://www.undergraduate.uts.edu.au/mature/entry/requirements/."

This is very good news for me, :). I don't know whether they've changed the admission requirement from previous years or something, because all the admin staff I spoke to on the phone were convinced of the 90/10 ratio too. Nevertheless, happy! And excited to start next year! (Hopefully!)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
And in case anyone else stumbles across this page in the future:

I didn't end up getting in.

Word of advice; do your own research into admission requirements (if possible) and submit a portfolio.

I'm so upset :( Oh well. Next year, I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)