Uni physics and advice for first year students (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Hey,

I am going to attend unsw civil engineering next year. Anyways I'm concerned about uni physics as I have read and heard many times that it is very difficult and many people fail. My main question is how can one prepare themself for uni physics? Is it worthwhile to buy the uni physics book now and do a bit of study now since I got 3months till uni starts.

Also there is chemistry in first year engineering, I did not do chemistry in school, is it necessary to take a bridging course or exposing myself to chemistry now?

Are buying the textbooks worthwhile?

Lastly any tips or general advice for first years?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Bridging courses are recommended but not mandatory. There are some classes that you can take as part of your degree that cover the Fundamentals of Chem, but you'll have to look into the handbook for further information on that.

As for Physics, in uni it is more mathematically inclined. If you were that motivated, you could probably look into 4u maths, but that is also something you pick up in uni with some effort. I believe that it is also not recommended to buy uni textbooks before uni, as you might not need a lot of the textbooks (lecturers and experienced students would probably help you with this in uni).

If you need more help in the Physics department, there is a thread on the first page thats currently discussing this :)

Edit: Thread is called "How necessary is physics?" by Rage01

Last edited:

GINN

Banned
HSC
N/A
thats pretty informative and on track from an 09'er

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
I've got heaps of individual research and help from uni bosers like Omie Jay to thank for that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)