• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

uni rankings (1 Viewer)

poiuyt06

HSC
hey, could someone please rank for me the best universities in melb in commerce/accounting/economics disciplines(all the same discipline)?

i know melb uni is no. one, and monash is prob second, but what's next?

la trobe?
rmit?
deakin?
vic uni?
other?

thanks in advance

pete_mate

HSC
University of Sydney
University of New South Wales

(distance education)

O2

HSC
i thnk deakin, then rmit..
i thnk vic uni is lowest,.

poiuyt06

HSC
so your placing la trobe ahead deakin followed by rmit?

Conspirocy

HSC
pete_mate said:
University of Sydney

(distance education)
hahahahahah thats too funny clearly unsw> usyd (no bias cause I don't go to usyd lol only unsw)

taxed

HSC
I would say that the ranking of Victorian universities is as follows:

Uni Melbourne
Monash
La Trobe
RMIT
Deakin
Swinburne
VU

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
mate there are honestly about 150 000 threads devoted to this petty shit.

try searching or looking on wikipedia

let me break it down for you:

"I go to UNSW, UNSW is best!"
"I go to Sydney University, Sydney University is best!"
"I go to UTS, UTS is the best!"

Do you get my drift

They're all shit anyway

Evilo

HSC
poiuyt06 said:
hey, could someone please rank for me thebest universities in melb in commerce/accounting/economics disciplines(all the same discipline)?
pete_mate said:
University of Sydney

(distance education)
You read good :)

Metric

HSC
N/A
poiuyt06 said:
could someone please rank for me the best universities in melb in commerce/accounting/economics disciplines(all the same discipline)?
Although all rankings are intrinsically subjective and controversial, I would tend to agree with the following (as a general guide):
taxed said:
Uni Melbourne
Monash
La Trobe
RMIT
Deakin
Swinburne
VU
Without a doubt Melbourne and Monash are the most prestigious, with Melbourne slightly more so than Monash. It is important to remember, however, that the prestige of an institution is not necessarily related to the quality of its courses or lecturers.
kennychan222 said:
there's no ranking for Aussie Uni, because all uni. are strictly controlled by Government. :p
What do you mean? How does the fact most Australian universities are public effect rankings? How does the fact Australian universities recieve public funding equate to them being "strictly controlled" by the government?

gaggaz

Gold Member
HSC
N/A
Id say rankings on prestige are:
Melbourne
Monash
RMIT
LaTrobe
Deakin
VU

Although i dont necessarily think this is a measure of standard.
Im second year monash which i chose over melb and am pretty happy with the choice. The worst part is wading through some of the core subjects that you may have no interest in but beyond that, fingers crossed, it should be good, but this is the same across all unis.

Also, depends on what you want from the course, eg i think latrobe commerce is pretty much just accounting whereas deakin is more diverse.

Theres my 2c.

miss-smexy

HSC
ANU is ranked well cuz it gets so much funding for research - and research is a major component when committees etc determine how good a uni is

ahallam2

HSC
For a commerce/business degree I would steer clear of La Trobe. I have heard its very weak in this area and that RMIT/Deakin/Swinburne are at least on par, if not better.

I can say from personal experience that Swinburne has pretty good teaching quality and great campus location (although its very small). I can also say that big/prestigious employers do not think badly of Swinburne students as I was accepted to do vac work at a Big 4 accounting firm (lots of Deakin people there too).

I should also probably say that I have left Swin to transfer to UMelb mainly for extra curricular (sports- Swinburne has little to none) and partner universities ( i plan to do exchange at some point).

Anyway, IMO rankings

1. Melb
2. Monash
3. RMIT/Swin/Deakin
4. La Trobe
5. Vic Uni

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
thesilentvine said:
For a commerce/business degree I would steer clear of La Trobe. I have heard its very weak in this area and that RMIT/Deakin/Swinburne are at least on par, if not better. I can say from personal experience that Swinburne has pretty good teaching quality and great campus location (although its very small). I can also say that big/prestigious employers do not think badly of Swinburne students as I was accepted to do vac work at a Big 4 accounting firm (lots of Deakin people there too). I should also probably say that I have left Swin to transfer to UMelb mainly for extra curricular (sports- Swinburne has little to none) and partner universities ( i plan to do exchange at some point). Anyway, IMO rankings 1. Melb 2. Monash 3. RMIT/Swin/Deakin 4. La Trobe 5. Vic Uni
Big 4 is not prestigious. Maybe to a swinbourne student

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)