Uni Summer Research work vs. Industry vacation work (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
What is everyone's opinion? Would you rather work at a firm (any firm) over the summer as a vacation student or would you work in research in uni over the summer?

What do you think is more highly regarded?

Affinity

HSC
if you only care about job and $ then get an internship

billbro

HSC
N/A
Research pays marginally higher, or at least it does for me.

Summer vac, means I can secure my future - as cliche as that sounds.

Affinity

HSC
I wasn't refering to $ from the vac or the research. I am saying if career is the sole factor you are considering then take an internship, else a vacation research would be quite interesting.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The work experience would be more highly regarded. No one cares about research.

billbro

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
The work experience would be more highly regarded. No one cares about research.
I think that would depend on the type of research you are doing though, I could see it being useful for economics/econometrics.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
billbro said:
I think that would depend on the type of research you are doing though, I could see it being useful for economics/econometrics.
Not as useful as good and relevant work experience.

Affinity

HSC
Think of it this way.. you are going to work for 40 years after you graduate..

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Affinity said:
Think of it this way.. you are going to work for 40 years after you graduate..
...and when you go to get a job most employers will value work experience over research experience.

billbro

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
Not as useful as good and relevant work experience.
It doesn't appear as though there are many practical opportunities to work as an economist in commercial firms for summer vacation. Also, wouldn't research be classed as relevant work experience anyway?

I'm not exactly well versed in the area, since I'm not pursuing a career in economics, but I don't think research for some fields can be discounted.

I don't see why research experience can't be as valuable though, especially since it would generally be related to the career the person is interested in.

Affinity

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
...and when you go to get a job most employers will value work experience over research experience.
That's true, but I believe the advantage is so small such that the overall personal gain is greater with the "research" option. Looking at classmates, I don't see significant differences in employment prospects between those who had some relevant work experience and those who didn't. Is it really worth it to gear your life focusing only on your first job? (since after that the internship/research would almost be irrelevant careerwise)

Ofcourse work might be more enjoyable for some people...

and by the way.. it's really not much research. To be honest you do very little.

Last edited:

RIZAL

HSC
velox said:
What is everyone's opinion? Would you rather work at a firm (any firm) over the summer as a vacation student or would you work in research in uni over the summer?

What do you think is more highly regarded?
Depends on the research and depends on the vacation work.

Research into stochastic interest rate models > Vacation work at the Big 4
Research into accounting standards < Vacation work at any real bank

is a roflcopter
HSC
volunteering at a local community centre = WIN

serious

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I've done both and at the same time so I can say both have their advantages and disadvantages - it depends on what you want to do in the end, as the vacation project is like interning to be a research student. Overally, you pick up more soft skills while working which gives it an overall edge.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
That's true, but I believe the advantage is so small such that the overall personal gain is greater with the "research" option. Looking at classmates, I don't see significant differences in employment prospects between those who had some relevant work experience and those who didn't. Is it really worth it to gear your life focusing only on your first job? (since after that the internship/research would almost be irrelevant careerwise)

Ofcourse work might be more enjoyable for some people...

and by the way.. it's really not much research. To be honest you do very little.
It depends on the industry. If we are both talking about Finance in Australia, then work experience is very important as there is not much recognition of higher studies/research for the most part. Also, a lot of the firms' interns become grads so it's actually quite important.

Affinity

HSC
§eraphim said:
It depends on the industry. If we are both talking about Finance in Australia, then work experience is very important as there is not much recognition of higher studies/research for the most part. Also, a lot of the firms' interns become grads so it's actually quite important.
How much of an advantage do you think interns get

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
How much of an advantage do you think interns get
A lot. Compared to "cold" graduate recruitment, you have a far greater chance at picking up a full time offer after completing an internship.

Affinity

HSC
I was after some figures.. like twice as likely? three times as likely? From what I have seen it's about the same amongst those I know. Ofcourse might be different when unemployment rates go up

Last edited:

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
I was after some figures.. like twice as likely? three times as likely? From what I have seen it's about the same amongst those I know. Ofcourse might be different when unemployment rates go up
Jeez, I don't know. In a good year, everyone that does an internship at a Big 4 would get an offer.

After that the grads that weren't interns are all competing for whatever spots they still need to fill.

To put a number on it, maybe twice as likely? But thats essentially a meaningless number out of context.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)