Uni travel times?? (1 Viewer)

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Hello all

I'd like to do engineering at uni next year, but this is the problem im facing

I live in the Blue Mountains, so it takes a good 1.5-2 hours to travel into Sydney by train.

This seems like a long time to spend just on travelling to and from uni - is it really worth it to go to one of the Sydney unis over UWS (which is much closer)??

How long does it take you guys to get to uni each day?

Thanks, Ian!

mishka

HSC
N/A
40-45 mins by car to Strathfield or 1.5-2 hours by train/walking. Trains are good opportunities to do readings etc. though.. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Takes me about 2.5 hours to 3 hours each way. From near Macquarie to Richmond.

mishka is right though, spending that much time on a train, you get a lot of readings done.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
10 mins from Leichhardt or 90-120 mins from Castle Hill.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
politik said:
I still can't believe how close Leichardt is to the City with that motorway (I have no idea what it's called, but I never knew it was so easy to get to the city from there).
I don't even use the motorway, cause the westlink (I think) goes to the middle of the city whereas USyd's on the same side of the city as Leichhardt so just use Parra Rd.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
30 minutes from Camden South to Campbelltown by car

1 hour from Campbelltown to Central by train (40 minutes express)

30 minutes from Central to UNSW with waiting time by bus.

Yeah, it's worth it, give it a shot.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
LOL i drive 15 mins from Camden to Cambelltown. and then im at uni! i would HATE to travel for uni.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
What if the whole day you only have a 1 hour tute yet u travel for 2 hours to get there?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
2 hours from Gosford Station to Newcastle Uni Station.
Plus 15 minutes from train station to my lecture halls/tute rooms.

4.5 hours travel a day, Monday to Thursday (without trackwork).

ianc said:
I live in the Blue Mountains, so it takes a good 1.5-2 hours to travel into Sydney by train.

This seems like a long time to spend just on travelling to and from uni - is it really worth it to go to one of the Sydney unis over UWS (which is much closer)??
Well, to give you a bit of hope Ian, I have a friend who lives in the Blue Mountains who has just finished her degree at Sydney Uni. She had been doing it for 3 years (travelling the 2 hours in), and even through living so far away, she still managed to ace her marks, and have a life.

It all comes down to how much you want it really.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
One hour and ten minutes by bus. If I can get a lift to the traino, it takes about thirty-five minutes by train, then fifteen minutes walk.

I sleep on the bus.

placebo101

HSC
i catch a train from penrith to central. it takes bout 50mins if u get the mountain train as it only stops at the main stations. add 15mins to walk to uts

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Shell said:
LOL i drive 15 mins from Camden to Cambelltown. and then im at uni! i would HATE to travel for uni.
You didn't go to Camden High School did you?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Erm.. yes i did as a matter of fact. i PM'd you yesterday to ask you the same thing. WHO ARE YOU?!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
total travel time to get there and back is around 3 hours :eek:
1.5 hours each way
bus to pennant hills from castle hill
then train from pennant hills to central
then walk to UTS from there isn't long
travelling to uni is a bitch.:burn:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I go to UWS Bankstown and Paramatta and both take me 20 mins aprox from Strathfield *Driving that is*

I love that both campuses are so close, if I have to go into uni its not much of a hassle and I can park easily and cheaply ($4 per day or $50 for yearly permit). I would like to go to USYD or UTS but UWS is closer and is the only one that offers my course so I am happy.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
30 minutes by train to Central, then 15 minutes bus ride to USYD (especially if it's City Road, because the amount of people getting on and off is HUGE)

SweetSeasons

HSC
Ianc.. I live in the blue mountains as well, in Springwood.. I go to uni in Strathfield.. yeah the travel is a bitch and when you have t o wake up at 5am for a 8am start it's really annoying.. but the thing is I absolutly love uni.. I went to UWS last year and hated it, i had 3 different campuses i had to go to and I dunno.. ur just treated as a number..

any ways.. I think if you really want to go to that uni then go for it.. yeah travel is a bitch but you get used to it.. There are lots of people that I went to school with that travell from up here to sydney for uni as well, so ur not the only one..

and also if ur going to penrith uws campus by public transport it takes about an hour n a half any ways, getting the train waiting for another one to kingswood then waiting for the stupid ass bus that takes u around kingswood campus..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)