Union Board Election 2010 (1 Viewer)

canterbury434

HSC
She's lucky she wasnt disqualified I guess! But at the same time, Mon & Tues are just before election day and she's starting to lose votes because people dont think it's fair to elect someone who broke the rules and exceeded their funding cap. News lilke this spreads like wildfire!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
**** BREAKING NEWS ****

Turns out Sibella is BANNED from campaigning on Monday and Tuesday because she tripled the spending cap!

So much for independence and integrity, she spent HEAPS more money on the campaign then what the candidates are allowed - cheating essentially...

How do you think this ban will affect her chances?
I dunno, you seem pretty anti-Sibella. Half your posts on BoS have been pretty much Sibella-bashing. :rolleyes:

youandmexo

HSC
**** breaking news ****

turns out sibella is banned from campaigning on monday and tuesday because she tripled the spending cap!

So much for independence and integrity, she spent heaps more money on the campaign then what the candidates are allowed - cheating essentially...

How do you think this ban will affect her chances?
lolllllllll sux2beher

canterbury434

HSC
It was just after I saw her bitching about people at Parma and also I'm a MASSIVE Hong supporter! Man, I really hope he gets on board - he really deserves it!!!

izzy88

HSC
how'd they find out she tripled the spending cap
Apparently someone called up her t-shirt printing place and got the invoices. Her t-shirts alone exceeded the cap substantially. They then sent that information to the election people.

Everythings a bit of a mess. She was lucky she wasn't disqualified.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Polly can now reveal that three candidates have admitted to breaching the spending cap in their reports submitted to the electoral officer by 5pm yesterday afternoon. Polly has been informed that the returning officer has named Sibella Matthews, Alistair Stephenson and Hiltin Guo as three who have exceeded their cap. In a separate report, Polly heard that one of these candidates allegedly spent over $2000, effectively triple the spending cap.

At this point, no candidate has been disqualified from election, although the returning officer has made it clear that consequences may be more severe for candidates found to have lied in their expenditure reports.

For the three who did admit to exceeding what they were allowed to spend, the following restrictions have been put in place:

A requirement to place a prominent apology on their Facebook group
Forfeit a certain number of T shirts
Not engage in campaigning until just before election day

These penalties are harsh, but don’t preclude any of the candidates from election.

Polly heard chatter yesterday afternoon that Alistair’s campaign were in contact with other campaigns, discussing the implications of their breaches. It’s quite possible that these three campaigns decided to admit to breaches together in the hope that the consequences would be limited.

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
not sure how much it will actually hurt them though. Hilton still probably has a good chance if she mobilises the international students.

Doesn't look good though. So much controversy.

greatscott

HSC
are you blind nigga? they took away about 50 tables (and hence, 100 chairs) and replaced them with lounges. the capacity has been gutted.

you're probably an international student yourself. piss off.
Ugh, no, not an international student. Considering if international students didn't attend our university we would be losing a significant part of our revenue, I'm pretty glad they're here. The fact they've managed to use a space in Wentworth that was often empty, is a good thing, the Union has managed to engage with students. I prefer having lots of people using a space, regardless of who they are, then just one grumpy person using a space because they feel it belongs to them.

Also, Alistair breached the cap as well, plus he's half Asian, doesn't that mean you should half not trust him according to your logic?

I think this whole spending cap business gives James Flynn, Peter Hong and Viv Moxham-Hall, the only three candidates that had a chance during this election to get in, a very good boost (in my books at least).

kokodamonkey

HSC
I think it is something like 22% of students at usyd are international students...

and in the E&B faculty its actually something like 49%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)