Union Election Guide (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont think any of the candidates are supported by a political caucus
at least james and rehana isnt :)

tomorrows voting times are 11:30-2:30 at the Quad, please come everyone and exercise your right to choose your representative

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The name of the party currently holding the Guild office.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
shannonm said:
If I can be bothered I will vote for this fellow. This election is a joke anyway
i second that. its a shame people like us dont bother to vote.

Tharunka said:
not running a serious campaign

is a roflcopter
HSC
results are out

Josh
James
Kate
Rehana

congrats :p

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
ive refrained from posting in this thread thus far
but may i ask out of curiosity (gman and stamos) what i have done to justify you calling me a "cunt"?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ruka: I want more union funded computers for commerce students :D

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
rukawasan said:
but may i ask out of curiosity (gman and stamos) what i have done to justify you calling me a "cunt"?
won't vsu mean that the union will be stripped of its money which would pretty much make the union board impotent/redundant? because any resistance to vsu is pretty futile since the senate is going to be under the libs control within a matter of months. i think there was a recent Insight article in the front page of the SMH written by a USyd Honours student who commented that despite all the elections that are taking place at university will lead to nothing, and union board positions will be just "a few sentences on the CV".

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
ruka: I want more union funded computers for commerce students :D
Quad Lab 10 is mostly empty most of the time. :p
§eraphim said:
union board positions will be just "a few sentences on the CV".
still does not justify the labelling of 'cunt'.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
Quad Lab 10 is mostly empty most of the time. :pstill does not justify the labelling of 'cunt'.
just raising the point that campaigns that are against vsu seem rather stooopid and universal vsu is just a fantasy. but no one deserves to be called a "cunt" all the same :)

gman03

HSC
rukawasan said:
I seconded the point "i can't believe those two from commerce got in"... 'cu_ts' were purely used by stamos to describe the two people from commerce. Sigh.... I cast my vote on one of the two and this is what I can get by being lazy in typing...... I might start typing essays next time with 2X justification... but i wouldn't because I ain't a commerce person and essays suit commmerce people and I have no justification on what I just said neither.

Now I dislike you..... looking things from one perspective.... I'm sure you see the all sides of VSU.... in fact I "guess" (with no justifications) that VSU is all on your agenda and presumably (with no justifications) you will do nice things to us.

Obviously (with no justifications) I'm wrong (with no justifications) .

There, a short essay justifying my surprise in seeing/knowing two people from commerce got into the union (with no justifications) .

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
§eraphim said:
won't vsu mean that the union will be stripped of its money which would pretty much make the union board impotent/redundant? because any resistance to vsu is pretty futile since the senate is going to be under the libs control within a matter of months. i think there was a recent Insight article in the front page of the SMH written by a USyd Honours student who commented that despite all the elections that are taking place at university will lead to nothing, and union board positions will be just "a few sentences on the CV".
its true the government will take control of the senate come july

its also true that the government will very likely push the vsu legislation through both houses

but its not true the vsu campaign run by the universities student organisations are futile because without the awareness campaigns/lobbying and the media attention its generated the government would have tried to push the legilsation through in its current form, however, because of these supposedly "futile" campaigns the govt is actually reviewing and changing bits of the legislation rather than passing the orginal as it was which would have totally destroyed campus life

its true the union will be underfunded next yr (relative to this yr and previous yrs) but the union has a substantial cash reserve to draw from and the univeristy council is also likely assist with special transitional funding, furthermore the union runs a number of profitable businesses on campus which would counter the losses from its other programs, also the university council is looking at a possible amalgation of the guild and the union - steps ARE being taken to make sure that student organisations will survive post-VSU - so it will not be only a few extra sentences on the CV. in fact i suspect it will be one of the hardest years to be on the Board, theres a lot of work that needs to be done in order to ensure that the union is restructured in a sustainable way but continues to be relevant to students - im not doing it for a few lines on the cv. im doing it because i genuinely care abt the survival of the union and i think this is a very interesting time to be on the board.

i will not bother questioning why ppl dislike me. u cant please everyone. i realised that most students at unsw indeed everywhere stigmatise student politics and stereotype student politicians as either commies, ranting trots, hippies or ambitious cv builders. what they fail to see is that student politicians dont derive any substantial personal gain out of holding office nor is holding office prestigious or enjoyable because i have found that holding office whether in a club or society or in a central student organisation is a lot of work, its not fun, its a lot of work and stress, why do these ppl do it, because they genuinely care abt the welfare of students and becasue they believe they can make a difference. do u ever see student politicians attacking students, no, all u see is students badmouthing student politicians.

i personally am not interested in politics, i am not a member of any political party, yes i have participated in the power caucus, but only because i feel i share similar views, yes i went to NUS but only because i wanted to be better informed abt the issues that will be facing students in the next few years, no i will not go on to become a politician after i graduate and no i do not want to stay at uni for 10years like some student politicians do because they love the game, i will graduate in the minimum time for my course, BUT rather than being apathetic and ignorant i choose to ATTEMPT (im not sure if i will succeed) to make a difference while im at uni...

i find it ironical how a lot of students say bad things abt student politicians... saying u dont do this, u dont do that, or u did this wrong or u did that wrong, but they themselves dont even bother to help out in even the most basic way to make their a better place for others...

i suggest if anybody wants to criticise others, please be involved and see if you can help make a difference rather than blindly criticising others...

LET HE WHO HAVE NEVER SINNED STRIKE THE FIRST BLOW... or something along those lines...

peace out

james

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)