Unions (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Re: The Thread that never Ends

That is the worst possible thing we could do. Australian jobs for Australians.
Australians don't want the jobs. They're too fussy. Fine. Give it to someone who will appreciate it.

powlmao

Banned
HSC

oh fuck that's why we're understaffed a lot of the time.
*sudden realisation*
fkn uni. i should pay more attention to this union stuff.

also i think we automatically become sda union members? (idk)
I was, then I awas like, it is costing me $10-15 a week and I find no benefit.

Personally, I believe we should be able to work overtime if we want to. Stupid unions

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

Bring in some more Chinese labourers. They always work hard and don't kick up a fuss.
haha, then the locals get pissed.
why hire a local and pay them $x when you can hire asian labourers who are willing to work for $x/2.
it's all about making/saving da monie.

need to complete 9 tutes in 2 days, come at me :(

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

I love your opinions!!!

Is this apart of Resource Economics? It seems like Political economics
I've done some welfare economics as part of my degree so I'm well aware of when people like to take the economy for ride.

And before some of you accuse me of basing my opinions strictly on the basis of seeking economic efficiency, I am doing for a Geography major for a reason.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

It didn't work because Australian's have been programmed to think that they have a sense of entitlement and any backwards trend in personal welfare is absolutely abhorent. If an employer feels that they can find a better way to co-ordinate their resources to achieve their aims, then they are entitled to do that. I hate that attitude that Australians have when their jobs get cut. They need to get into their heads that they are NOT needed. They are a drain on the business and keeping them serves no purpose.

A contract is indeed fixed and should be set for a given period. When it is up for negotiation, they can civilly discuss new terms. Why unions find the reason to strike every time they need to re-negotiate an agreement is beyond me. They can't accept that the role they have in the economy may have diminished (for legitimate reasons) so they feel they can hold greater society hostage for conditions they don't deserve.

Ohhhh, I get it now, you're a heartless bastard (hyperbole, I know, I know), and that the employees serve no purpose, free market ftmfw - I see, I see. I'd prefer to live in a world where the business get screwed over rather than the employees (let's face it, there's never going to be any sort of balance).

Most agreements are re-negotiated without striking, if you think that there are these massive strikes all the time then I think you're severley misinformed.

I'd also point out that this attitude about jobs being cut isn't exactly an attitude that either party, espescially the liberals at the moment, seem to be doing anything to stop. The number of times Tony Abbort has gone on about job losses because of the carbon tax or mining tax or x policy is astonishing (but let me guess, it's okay to complain about those job losses?)

If employers want more flexibility to get rid of people carte blanche, that's fine, but then such employees should be appropriately compensated for the lack of job security either by increased wages or increased conditions.

I think under your thinking we'd end up in a world where employees get screwed over at every opportunity leading to a massive decrease in wages and conditions and you'd end up with the only people making any decent money to support themselves would be are the ones lucky enough to be shareholders. Now you may think that that's a perfectly sane and wonderful free market world, but frankly, I couldn't think of anything worse.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I was, then I awas like, it is costing me $10-15 a week and I find no benefit.

Personally, I believe we should be able to work overtime if we want to. Stupid unions
If you were as brilliant employee as you think you are surely by now you'd be PPT and could work overtime to your hearts content. Let me guess, you want the flexibility that being a casual entails? The flexibility that the unions got you?

powlmao

Banned
HSC

Businesses would have casuals regardless of unions

jezzmo

Now lactating. Sample me.
HSC
N/A

Unions always bugged me. Can I work extra hours this week? No, because then we have to pay you overtime. What if I accept normal pay? I don't care about overtime. No, can't do that! UNIONS ARE PROTECTING YOU.
Cuntish paperwork nightmare doodles.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Ohhhh, I get it now, you're a heartless bastard, and that the employees serve no purpose, free market ftmfw - I see, I see. I'd prefer to live in a world where the business get screwed over rather than the employees (let's face it, there's never going to be any sort of balance)

Most agreements are re-negotiated without striking, if you think that there are these massive strikes all the time then I think you're severley misinformed.

I'd also point out that this attitude about jobs being cut isn't exactly an attitude that either party, espescially the liberals at the moment, seem to be doing anything to stop. The number of times Tony Abbort has gone on about job losses because of the carbon tax or mining tax or x policy is astonishing (but let me guess, it's okay to complain about those job losses?)

If employers want more flexibility to get rid of people carte blanche, that's fine, but then such employees should be appropriately compensated for the lack of job security either by increased wages or increased conditions.

I think under your thinking we'd end up in a world where employees get screwed over at every opportunity leading to a massive decrease in wages and conditions and you'd end up with the only people making any decent money to support themselves would be are the ones lucky enough to be shareholders. Now you may think that that's a perfectly sane and wonderful free market world, but frankly, I couldn't think of anything worse.
1) If the attitude was the businesses should be screwed over, then who will be the ones making the businesses? Where will progress come from? If individuals have the perception that being a business owner is too risky, then where will the jobs come from? No-one will be willing to have a punt and say I've got a great idea for a business (which will employ worthy individuals) because there is an inherent risk that I can't not re-allocate my resources to achieve their aims.

2) If most are re-negotiated without striking, then good on them. I get the impression though that when they feel the terms aren't favourable, then they hold everyone hostage. They don't get the idea that sometimes they aren't worthy of better conditions because they haven't increased their performance. How can you justify raising conditions if people haven't made improvements? You could sit on your ass all day and the unions would still argue that better conditions are the way to go. Compensation must be made relative to performance; that's how the labour market works.

3) The Coalition is calling into question the credibility of the original policy, not just the fact that jobs will go. They argue that a carbon tax isn't appropriate because they don't believe this is the best way to tackle the problem of climate change. Discussing the subsequent effects that will have employment is a side argument which emphasises how making the wrong decision will result in wider problems unrelated to climate change itself. Just for the record though, I myself think some of the policies that the Coalition have come up with are flawed (e.g. not supporting a profits tax won't effect employment if mining companies have intelligent people planning extraction) so I'm not towing the party line.

4) If there is lack of job security, then employees should be compensated for that risk. You are right there. Much of this would be dependent on the terms of the contract and type of position being negotiated.

5) You're forgetting that businesses are competing against each other. The world of business isn't some sort of cartel where collusion is a regular thing. Businesses want the best employers and they will subsequently negotiate accordingly to secure the services of an individual. Suggesting that there will be massive decreases is an understatement. Every individual has a value in the labour market (Yes, there are bigger things than putting a number on a person's head; I'll give you that) and the market will accordingly indicate that.

6) I'm not going to make excuses and suggest that the market is perfect. It isn't and I am well aware of this. Personally, I think we need to see an investment in education to improve labour mobility so individuals don't have to spend X amount of time learning new skills independent to employment. Things like TAFE should be supported with the view of students being employed while in conjunction to studying. This allows industry restructuring to occur while allowing unemployed people to find a new job more quickly. Yes, this is government intervention, but this is intervention which is being justified on the basis of facilitating an improvement in the free market, hopefully resolving some of the problems already present.

P.S. I would rather you not call me a "heartless bastard" Alex. You're better than that.

Lentern

HSC

Unions always bugged me. Can I work extra hours this week? No, because then we have to pay you overtime. What if I accept normal pay? I don't care about overtime. No, can't do that! UNIONS ARE PROTECTING YOU.
Cuntish paperwork nightmare doodles.
SCAB!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

1) If the attitude was the businesses should be screwed over, then who will be the ones making the businesses? Where will progress come from? If individuals have the perception that being a business owner is too risky, then where will the jobs come from? No-one will be willing to have a punt and say I've got a great idea for a business (which will employ worthy individuals) because there is an inherent risk that I can't not re-allocate my resources to achieve their aims.

2) If most are re-negotiated without striking, then good on them. I get the impression though that when they feel the terms aren't favourable, then they hold everyone hostage. They don't get the idea that sometimes they aren't worthy of better conditions because they haven't increased their performance. How can you justify raising conditions if people haven't made improvements? You could sit on your ass all day and the unions would still argue that better conditions are the way to go. Compensation must be made relative to performance; that's how the labour market works.

3) The Coalition is calling into question the credibility of the original policy, not just the fact that jobs will go. They argue that a carbon tax isn't appropriate because they don't believe this is the best way to tackle the problem of climate change. Discussing the subsequent effects that will have employment is a side argument which emphasises how making the wrong decision will result in wider problems unrelated to climate change itself. Just for the record though, I myself think some of the policies that the Coalition have come up with are flawed (e.g. not supporting a profits tax won't effect employment if mining companies have intelligent people planning extraction) so I'm not towing the party line.

4) If there is lack of job security, then employees should be compensated for that risk. You are right there. Much of this would be dependent on the terms of the contract and type of position being negotiated.

5) You're forgetting that businesses are competing against each other. The world of business isn't some sort of cartel where collusion is a regular thing. Businesses want the best employers and they will subsequently negotiate accordingly to secure the services of an individual. Suggesting that there will be massive decreases is an understatement. Every individual has a value in the labour market (Yes, there are bigger things than putting a number on a person's head; I'll give you that) and the market will accordingly indicate that.

6) I'm not going to make excuses and suggest that the market is perfect. It isn't and I am well aware of this. Personally, I think we need to see an investment in education to improve labour mobility so individuals don't have to spend X amount of time learning new skills independent to employment. Things like TAFE should be supported with the view of students being employed while in conjunction to studying. This allows industry restructuring to occur while allowing unemployed people to find a new job more quickly. Yes, this is government intervention, but this is intervention which is being justified on the basis of facilitating an improvement in the free market, hopefully resolving some of the problems already present.

P.S. I would rather you not call me a "heartless bastard" Alex. You're better than that.
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT - I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST A LONG REPLY AND THIS FUXKING SHITHOUSE IPAD DECIDES TO FUCKING CLOSE ITSELF YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT APPLE. Moving on

1) there is always going to be a disparity between employees and employers in negotiation. I think the upper hand should belong to the employee as in the long run the employer will have the upper hand. I don't think that employees should have all the power, but I think the status quo we have now works well. Yes it might result in a small decrease in future businesses opening up, but I don't think it would be large enough to be of concern, personally I think the gain to employees should be worth it.

2) I don't think "I get the feeling" is a compelling argument. Only 1% of employees were involved in disputes according to the latest stats. It equates to 3.5 days lost per 1000 employees. Not historic lows no, but certainly lower than they have been in the past. I don't believe unions go on and ask for new conditions without giving anything in return. Despite public opinion fueled by liberal party propaganda, they don't just out something on the table then strike the moment they don't get it. They negotiate. As for pay Rises, they should be in line with inflation at least, if not in line with company profits.

3) like I said, I thought it might be okay for them to discuss the job losses. You've explained why the liberals mention them, you haven't addressed why that doesn't contribute to the sense of entitlement you dislike. Why are carbon tax job losses are wider problems but job losses due to increasing productivity are good and should be accepted.

(as an aside, not directed at you I find it laughable that the liberals say that 100 job losses from the carbon tax are a national crisis but 20,000 public service job losses are fine and dandy and won't have any repercussions)

4) if you accept that then I don't see how you can have a problem with unions. What's the harm if instead of one employee facing less job security negotiates better pay and conditions, several get together and negotiate the same (something that will ultimately save everybody time). Perhaps because as work choices demonstrated individual contracts often aren't individually negotiated, they are pro forma contracts issue t employees on a take it or leave it basis with no opportunity for genuine negotiation.

5) as I said above, in theory they do, and I don't doubt in some sectors of the economy that there would be individual negotiation. But what about the thousands upon thousands of employees employed in low paying jobs where their skills are a dime a dozen, don't you think they deserve some sort of protection from big business. QANTAS has shown this themselves, they don't want the best pilots, they want the cheapest, hence them employing cheaper, potentially less qualified, overseas pilots.

6) similar to above, even if you skill people up and whatnot, there are still going to be shitkickcer jobs which people are going to need. I honestly don't have a problem if employees want to opt out of the current system and try negotiate their own conditions, but it should be the employees choice to do so.

P.S. as you'll see I edited part of this comment before you posted that indicated I was being sarcastic/hyperbolic. I apologise, I should have chosen my words more carefully. That being said, never make the mistake of thinking I'm better than that, I am not.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

this thread went full retard.

unions aren't the problem. countries like germany, finland and other scandinavian coutnries, france, and japan get along fine with tripartite employment negotiations. being a uni student who has done intermediate microeconomics doesn't mean you know anything about, or are qualified to speak on, welfare or labour economics or industrial organisation. employment and productivity are far more complicated then your trite hypothetico-deductive arguments, whether they they are in favour of collective or individual bargaining. it fucking blows my mind that naive student or partisan fucks can have the audacity to speak with such authority on how wage negotiations should, would, or could happen.

the problem is the heritage of the labor party and the labour movement. most of the organisational and leadership capacity of the party is in the unions, many of which are bloated, some of which are corrupt, and all of which are self serving. i very much doubt doubt that (unlike, say, 100 years ago) the labour movement is an appropriate foundation for a modern political movement, or an optimal way to mobilise votes. just like i doubt that being the mouthpiece for the christian right is an optimal way to mobilise votes.

newsflash: you both make horrible arguments

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT - I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST A LONG REPLY AND THIS FUXKING SHITHOUSE IPAD DECIDES TO FUCKING CLOSE ITSELF YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT APPLE. Moving on

1) there is always going to be a disparity between employees and employers in negotiation. I think the upper hand should belong to the employee as in the long run the employer will have the upper hand. I don't think that employees should have all the power, but I think the status quo we have now works well. Yes it might result in a small decrease in future businesses opening up, but I don't think it would be large enough to be of concern, personally I think the gain to employees should be worth it.

2) I don't think "I get the feeling" is a compelling argument. Only 1% of employees were involved in disputes according to the latest stats. It equates to 3.5 days lost per 1000 employees. Not historic lows no, but certainly lower than they have been in the past. I don't believe unions go on and ask for new conditions without giving anything in return. Despite public opinion fueled by liberal party propaganda, they don't just out something on the table then strike the moment they don't get it. They negotiate. As for pay Rises, they should be in line with inflation at least, if not in line with company profits.

3) like I said, I thought it might be okay for them to discuss the job losses. You've explained why the liberals mention them, you haven't addressed why that doesn't contribute to the sense of entitlement you dislike. Why are carbon tax job losses are wider problems but job losses due to increasing productivity are good and should be accepted.

(as an aside, not directed at you I find it laughable that the liberals say that 100 job losses from the carbon tax are a national crisis but 20,000 public service job losses are fine and dandy and won't have any repercussions)

4) if you accept that then I don't see how you can have a problem with unions. What's the harm if instead of one employee facing less job security negotiates better pay and conditions, several get together and negotiate the same (something that will ultimately save everybody time). Perhaps because as work choices demonstrated individual contracts often aren't individually negotiated, they are pro forma contracts issue t employees on a take it or leave it basis with no opportunity for genuine negotiation.

5) as I said above, in theory they do, and I don't doubt in some sectors of the economy that there would be individual negotiation. But what about the thousands upon thousands of employees employed in low paying jobs where their skills are a dime a dozen, don't you think they deserve some sort of protection from big business. QANTAS has shown this themselves, they don't want the best pilots, they want the cheapest, hence them employing cheaper, potentially less qualified, overseas pilots.

6) similar to above, even if you skill people up and whatnot, there are still going to be shitkickcer jobs which people are going to need. I honestly don't have a problem if employees want to opt out of the current system and try negotiate their own conditions, but it should be the employees choice to do so.

P.S. as you'll see I edited part of this comment before you posted that indicated I was being sarcastic/hyperbolic. I apologise, I should have chosen my words more carefully. That being said, never make the mistake of thinking I'm better than that, I am not.
RE: Power play:

It's a matter of opinion and I think you're reasoning is valid enough to not dispute it.

RE: Dispute frequencies:

You're exclusively looking at the numbers of people involved without considering how many people it takes to constitute an industry. Inroads have definitely been made to reduce disputes which I think is superb. Regardless, if all the baggage handlers at Sydney Airport went on strike, you have effectively compromised the movement of people into Australia. Strikes affect more people than just union members. I have no qualms about linking wages with inflation provided that these employees concerned are doing the same work at the same level of productivity but institutionalising this is risky as inflation could move out of reasonable bounds thus precipitating a price/wage spiral. Provided stability in the economy, I don't dispute this.

RE: Carbon tax jobs:

As I stated, the dispute is with the carbon tax itself, not the loss of employment. The Coalition believes that the Carbon Tax is not the right way forward, and they indicate the risks of implementing the wrong policy. Essentially jobs which do not deserve to go because of poor policy are at risk. It doesn't have anything to do with an employee's performance. Arguably, the individuals being cut from the public service deserve to go because they aren't adding anything comparable to the price being paid. The ones affected by the carbon tax are worth their value, thus the argument used by the Coalition. Keep in mind, I don't like the sensationalism used by the Coalition to sell their policies. The policies themselves are valid, but I think they've taken the easy way out (as would any political party).

RE: Risk negotiation:

Because risk is different across businesses. You can't automatically suggest that business X has the same risk as business Y because they are in the same field. Things aren't that simple. You still make a valid point though about standardising such practices, but a union isn't necessary to do this. The position being offered is different, the terms of the contract are different, the skills an individual brings to the table is different.

RE: Big Business:

If big business believes that incurring risk to save money is a decision worth pursuing, then they are entitled to do so. If a business does not value the people working for them, they would be better off moving somewhere else. If an employee is contracted for x amount of years, and no breach of contract required an early termination, then a business is entitled to say they want them to move on. That's point of a contract.

RE: Job vacancies:

If jobs are available which no-one wants, then the wage will increase accordingly to attract more people. The big problem with education in Australia is we tend to over-emphasise on knowledge rather than skills. Sure, we would like to construct an information economy but the country won't run itself. You only have to look at how well the tradies are doing now to realise that people will enter into jobs which are perceived as inferior, when in fact that is where the opportunities lie.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
News flash: everything is more complicated than the arguments on here, that doesn't mean they can't still happen.

(in response to funkshen)

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
News flash: everything is more complicated than the arguments on here, that doesn't mean they can't still happen.
you missed my point, which was that the issues are more complicated than bouncing deduced and reduced arguments in favour of x position off of eachother. i have no problem with debate, except when its like that.

ozko is reading like the first chapter of a particularly bad microeconomics textbook (the one used at usyd, for instance)
and you are reading like the opposite: someone who hasn't even read the first chapter of a particularly bad microeconomics textbook (if you want evidence, see your idea that wages should be indexed to inflation or the level of corporate profits, what the fuck)

that is all

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Um, my ideas might read like that, but not once have I argued the my ideas would be good for the economy, I conceded that OzKo's ideas probably produce a better economic outcome, than mine (though not necessarily the best). I think some things are more important than the economy.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Um, my ideas might read like that, but not once have I argued the my ideas would be good for the economy, I conceded that OzKo's ideas probably produce a better economic outcome, than mine (though not necessarily the best). I think some things are more important than the economy.
the economy is not an idea. it is not run on ideas, nor is it populated by ideas. the study of the economy is a science, therefore the attempt to describe an underlying reality where, for instance, wage negotiation at the individual level may not be optimal. as a result, bouncing nice ideas around does not a reasoned economic discussion make.

also, considering the economy is simply the sum of transactions of goods and services between individuals in some arbitrary system, i don't think anything is 'more important' than the economy, as everything is the economy. "it's the economy, stupid."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)