Unit: Managing people at work (1 Viewer)

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
who does it ? is there alot of individual presentations ? the work ok ? i chose it for next semester but dunno if i should still do it. just wondering how its like, so gimme some input if you do it/have done it..
kthxbye :)

klh

HSC
well, ahhhh penrith eh?
i just barely passed that subject.
well um...im ashamed that i suck at this unit so my opinion might seem a little biased.
last sem, i had an annotated bibliography and an essay and final exam.
the annotated bibiolography is easy enough, get 3 or 4 booksreferences and summarise them like wha ttheir arguments were.
for the essay, you had to argue about a topic and using the referrences from your annotated bibiography and extra ones (maybe 6 refernces min) to argue your point.
the exam had part a and b. it was good because they told us in the last lecture before hand what areas you are supposed to study and what the questions will examine you one (not the question itself)

Personally i was really tired and sick last year which effected my study and this unit. i crammed the timetable into 3 days and this unit was the last of them for the longest day in my timetable so i was pretty fwucked when i got there. i failed the essay and passed the annotated bibliography. but i made up for it in the exam because of the stuvac week so i could relax for a bit. i reckoned i aced one of the questions which helped me earn my pass.

it depends on how you work. if i got anotehr chance, i reckon id do better becasue its interesting and stuff - i got around to reading the text book in stuvac so i understood what she was on about. most of the work was readings and some discussion questiosn to do for h/w and discuss them in tutes.
also note that the textbook i had, it was basically cut outs from other textbooks and they were like confusing, didnt know where it started or finished. i hope for your sake theyve changed the structure.
MPW, i thought was practical, teaching you how to manage people, sionce its name. but reality is that this subject used to be called Employment relations or industrial relations, so its about the history of IR, HR and the emergence of ER, the roles of the state, the stakeholders: the main 3 are Employers, trade unions and workers. and current issues: e.g. government trying to introduce laws that let small biz sack workers without reason and the arguemtns for and against etc.
also note that i also lacke dinterest in it until exam time and the teacher was very wordy.
the reason why i said penrith is becasue thats where i did it, so chances are youll get the lecturer i got. She is nice, explains clearly and engages with the audience, doesnt repeat the text.
i just didnt liek her as much becoz i was just tired and couldnt stand her yapping.
anyway, half rant, half fact i hope you can understand it.

Last edited:

= Jennifer =

HSC
i am doing mpw its a good unit :uhhuh: i already did my presentation too, i enjoy it if you did business studies you will find that it is an extension on the management and change unit and employment relations unit

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
lol thanks klh, that was very in-depth ! :) it doesn't sound like something i'd normally be interested in (government.. trade unions ? ehhhh), but i chose it cos 1) it's at parra & 2) it's different than the other units which are all the typical psychology stuff.. this is all businessy.. so for a change, might as well do it..

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
I have also got to do this unit, so ild like to know what its like

L

LaraB

HerO said:
Sounds like a interesting unit and that but surely they could've came up with a more professional name 4 the unit?...like juz put it simply as human resource management or workplace management or something...:D
what more professional name could tehre be?

the name is fine - it descibes the topic.

the topic is not about human resource management - its about managing people at work - there is a difference.

its not just "workplace management" either coz it goes into individual characterstics.

L

LaraB

I'm doing the unit this semester..

its a really good unit - the lecturer at Parra, Ron's really good coz he posts the lecture on webct so if you cant come its no biggy, altho i'd still suggest you go coz the little bits n pieces he adds are good for background

Its a good unit to compliment the unit Workplace Behaviour coz they deal with similar things

I think it's a good unit for any business course coz it outlines the basics of Industrial Relations and Employment relations and different managerial methods etc so its good to give you a better understanding of what methods are best in other areas like the bus's accounting, marketing, manegemnt in general etc.

Its a very easy read compared to some otehr subjects - the textbook is compiled by the unit coordinater Nikki Balnave, so you dont have to filter thru endless crap to get to the releveant part.

So as a result, you have one textbook that's a combination of important parts of 2 other textbooks.

You have the final exam, one essay which is an annotated bibliography - not too difficult once you get your head around it - and a tutorial presentation which is fairly straight forward and easy to get a decent mark if you do your readings and make sure you uinderstand the criteria

Its a pretty interesting subject coz it covers a pretty broad area :)

If you wanna know more about it, give the student centre a call coz i know that there are studentsd working there who do/have done the subject so they'd be able to talk you thus it if you want more info:)

hope it helps:)

klh

HSC
Annegelic: no prob, sorry you had to read such a long post.

others: the name can be misleading but thats my fault, i took it as face value.
plus the lecturer said it was more appealing than "Employment Relations" or something like that.
anyway, not to fuel anymore crap, this is supposed to be about the unit, not the name.
and Language! swearing is fine but i think if its directed at someone in particualr, its offensive.

L

LaraB

klh said:
Annegelic: no prob, sorry you had to read such a long post.

others: the name can be misleading but thats my fault, i took it as face value.
plus the lecturer said it was more appealing than "Employment Relations" or something like that.
anyway, not to fuel anymore crap, this is supposed to be about the unit, not the name.
and Language! swearing is fine but i think if its directed at someone in particualr, its offensive.
i hope the anti swearing things isnt directed at me coz i only swore in response to be called a slut etc....

im sorry but the common factor in all these arguments seems to be hero and if he was banned for this behaviour before and continues this kinda behaviour, there should be a way of banning him again.

klh

HSC
LaraB, no it want directed at you, as you say you were defending yourself at his remarks and accusations. and hero did start it.
i thought you were smarter and knew better. :) only jk!

L

LaraB

klh said:
LaraB, no it want directed at you, as you say you were defending yourself at his remarks and accusations. and hero did start it.
i thought you were smarter and knew better. :) only jk!
lol! i could do with some smartness right now! damn these assignments :(

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
HERO PLS GET OUT OF MY THREAD.
i was asking UWSers about what was IN the unit, not why it is called "managing people @ work" or suggestions for changing the unit name, since I find nothing wrong with the title. And since you don't do it, more so you don't even attend UWS, you can't give me any feedback so DON'T POST.

L

LaraB

Annegelic said:
HERO PLS GET OUT OF MY THREAD.
i was asking UWSers about what was IN the unit, not why it is called "managing people @ work" or suggestions for changing the unit name, since I find nothing wrong with the title. And since you don't do it, more so you don't even attend UWS, you can't give me any feedback so DON'T POST.
well said:)

ignoring hero's posts.... i hope the other info from uws people was useful:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar said:
A little off topic, and i dunno why im asking cuz no one prolly has, but has anyone done or doing New Product Marketing? Im tossing up on doing it next semester. I want to do ourism marketing but i dont wana travel to cambelltown.
Ohh ... I haven't done nsw product marketing, but I have a friend who is doing tourism marketing now. Poor girl. On wednesdays she travels to richmond for a morning class, then to campbelltown for tourism marketing, in her hour break between the classes.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
Cuz i am doing hospitality marketing, so id like to do tourism marketing too. Why cant they hurry up on the new motorway, then it would be much quicker to drive to cambelltown
Do u mean the M7, its meant to be finished in October, i know someone who is working on the Wonderland Interchange

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)