Universities lie about their course cutoffs (1 Viewer)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
u could sorta say the same thing with UNSW optometry --> all those that applied for optometry got a letter saying that because of high demand for optometrists, (lol) the UAI cut off might reach to 99.5 --> now, the official cut-off was 99.00!

again, it just demonstrates the use of false information to attract "apparently" better students (implying that a better UAI = more smarter, more intelligent student).....

gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr....could of got into optom CSP, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO had to go DFEE

its ridiculous, but its the sad reality.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
AsyLum said:
Damn thats hard luck :(

I was in a similar position, wanted to get into law, had previous experience my marks weren't great but meh, in the end i got tired of waiting and found a better degree, if i want to do law, i could always do it post-grad :)
Yea, exactly.
I've decided i'm going to go do arts at usyd, I like the sounds of the topics particularily in philosophy and I should be able to get credit for a large % of my units. So hopefully after two more years, with some hard work, I'll do grad law. I don't want to totally fuck up and never have a job - but I figure at most it's an extra year and I can go back to uws and finish law off.

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
One of my closest friends got a uai of 64.50. She was accepted into B Arts at UWS who's cutoff was published as 70.00. She did the ret test, bt got 61 in it. She didn't apply for any other sort of eas or anything.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
u could sorta say the same thing with UNSW optometry --> all those that applied for optometry got a letter saying that because of high demand for optometrists, (lol) the UAI cut off might reach to 99.5 --> now, the official cut-off was 99.00!

again, it just demonstrates the use of false information to attract "apparently" better students (implying that a better UAI = more smarter, more intelligent student).....

gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr....could of got into optom CSP, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO had to go DFEE

its ridiculous, but its the sad reality.
Does BOS have an official thread about preferencing? I've heard so many stories about people not listing the course they really wanted because they thought they couldn't get in this year.... I think it would be worthwhile to maybe have something on the main site?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Does BOS have an official thread about preferencing? I've heard so many stories about people not listing the course they really wanted because they thought they couldn't get in this year.... I think it would be worthwhile to maybe have something on the main site?
Such a thread would need to include the following points:

- it's a preference list (ideally one that's realistic), not a what can I get into with this uai list; and
- you're an idiot if you do not take note of the above and feel the need to complain after an offer has been made.

Clear, confronting advice - it's what many young students need in order to see what should be obvious to anyone who takes the time to consider what is before them.

Last edited:

Demandred

HSC
I don't think its a bad thing at all, it just gives more opportunities for people to do better in their life. UAI is not always a measure of a person's worth and certain exceptions can be made under certain circumstances.

The point is, when there are a lot of vacancies, why should you not allow a person to go to uni if that person is determined to do well? The cost of adding that extra student is the same (or perhaps diminishing), whilst the benefits gained are infinite.

My friend got 50< UAI, he got an interview UWS and promised he'd try very hard, and that he did, last semester he got 3 credits and a distinction and is now doing full time B Psych @ Bankstown.

It's not always a bad thing.

Last edited:

nono

HSC
N/A
USYD does it too- I have 2 friends who got into their courses with UAIs lower than the official 2006 cut-offs.

What's the go??

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i have to agree with demandred. if a person is willing to sacrifice in order to do well even after a lower uai than the cut-off, then why not? if they are that determined to achieve, why stop them blossom?

however, there is the other side of the story with people who get in just because they got the uai. who cares if they get the uai for it? it doesnt mean a measure of any future success that they may achieve. it is supply and demand of a course.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
phrred said:
usyd does dat dat too ive noticed with science and advanced science my friend got 94 last yr n got in wen it was 96 or sumthn for advanced, n my otha friend got into land and water science n got 70. The cutoff was 73, he deffered and this year it was 77
At the University of Sydney, for certain degree programmes, if a student keeps a USyd course as a preference certain faculties will automatically consider them for flexible entry - i.e. they do not need to apply, the uni, knowing their HSC performance in relevant subjects, may still make them an offer, lowering the relevant round cut-off by up to 5 points. Science is one of the faculties that can automatically consider students. This might explain the experience of your friends.

Generator

HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
i have to agree with demandred. if a person is willing to sacrifice in order to do well even after a lower uai than the cut-off, then why not? if they are that determined to achieve, why stop them blossom?
Why not? Well, why not because there comes a point when a line must be drawn, and because of the fact that degree level studies and qualifications are not for everyone?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/its-not-a-right-set-in-sandstone/2006/01/24/1138066789943.html - a good piece.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Generator said:
Why not? Well, why not because there comes a point when a line must be drawn, and because of the fact that degree level studies and qualifications are not for everyone?
I usually don't like his stuff, but this one made me laugh:
Why so many kids would prefer to be poorly paid GPs or suburban solicitors rather than high-charging, self-employed tradespeople is beyond me.
The article is spot on.

sx4daboiz

HSC
N/A
wow so maybe i do have a chance!! i just missed my course cut off!

halloween98

HSC
lets just say.........I'm hoping n wishing my first preference isn't accepted

nothing further ;)

H

housemouse

Dont they consider your strengths and weaknesses as well?
For example, a person wanting to get into a Science degree sucks ass in english so his uai was lets say 3 points lower than cutoffs however his very good at science subjects so they let him in anyway.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
They do at some universities, I know they do at Sydney I think its flexible entry or something.. not sure.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
housemouse said:
For example, a person wanting to get into a Science degree sucks ass in english so his uai was lets say 3 points lower than cutoffs however his very good at science subjects so they let him in anyway.
no. they dont. imagine how much work would need to go into it, if they had to check everyone's subject scores. the only exception is to get into some advanced courses.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
housemouse said:
They have that process at ANU- for Maths I think.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
The only way to stop it is to get rid of the uai system... :rolleyes:
I think we should and have a similar admissions system to either the UK or America.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)