• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

University Exclusivity (1 Viewer)

Lawl

HSC
I was wondering just HOW much does a university's popularity affect your chances at a job.

Right now i'm experiencing a connundrum. I've been accepted into Bachelor of Computer Science at UWS although its counterpart in USYD has a lower UAI cutoff.

Cedric-5813

HSC
i dont really know but i have always wondered about this. I guess it kinda does affect because i hear stuff about UWS and how company sees it as like TAFE and how they would more likely to accept you if you were from like USYD or MACQ.
Im in the same boat with you, i got an offer from UWS and im planning to change my perfernces and try to get into some other uni.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
If you were asking about, say for example a nursing or teaching or medicine degree, I'd say it wouldn't make a difference.

But if you were talking about law or an MBA or another similar degree, I'd say maybe.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Lawl said:
I was wondering just HOW much does a university's popularity affect your chances at a job.

Right now i'm experiencing a connundrum. I've been accepted into Bachelor of Computer Science at UWS although its counterpart in USYD has a lower UAI cutoff.
By the time you graduate, it will be your skills that will make you more employable, not the university you went to. Some "traditionalist" employers will prefer people with a degree from a certain institution, but employers are lookng more and more for workplace skills.

Crholic

HSC
Lawl said:

I dont think it matters, its a university! UWS is not bad, i got offered a course and i accepted it, im lucky i got in so im happy, u should be too, besides u can always transfer.....

:)

Crholic

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
By the time you graduate, it will be your skills that will make you more employable, not the university you went to. Some "traditionalist" employers will prefer people with a degree from a certain institution, but employers are lookng more and more for workplace skills.

agree

Jezzi

HSC
My sister studied accounting at UNE. I would not say it is the most prestigious uni, probably on par or even less prestigious than UWS, but she graduated with a GPA nearing a HD average, and did 2 internships during her degree. She now works at PWC. So in my opinion, in the end it all depends on how well you do in your studies and what kind of grades you get, practical experience you have obtained, and generally you as a person.

miss-smexy

HSC
For physio or something related to that I heard that quite a few students couldn't get employed just because they graduated from UWS so they had to transfer to go to USYD.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
loser101 said:
problem is that most UWS students ARE dumb so in genereal thier grades are not as good as those from Syndey or UNSW.
Even though they're scaled to a bell curve?

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
for most courses it shudnt matter on the uai or cut off every university needs accreditation to teach a particular course they cant just drop it in and teach u anything they want, so most universities have a very firm grasp of the course theyre teaching eg macquarie university and sydney unis law degree is basically running the same curiculum based on the same text books etc, but due to popular demand there is a greater % of people going to usyd raising the demand on that course hence the cutt offs are higher, but because macquarie is lower it doesnt mean its shit, theyre still equally just as good, at the end of the day todays employers are not as interested in where u got ur education from as long as u can show ur quality and skill through key competencies and work professionalism. Most employers generally want experience anyway rather than what university u went to since it displays ur depth of knowledge in the field and ur workmanship.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Even though they're scaled to a bell curve?
Especially because they're scaled to a bell curve

it makes it ambiguous because any 100 from UWS might well have been a raw mark of 60, just that was the best any of those wogs and rednecks could do between drug deals and rooting their sisters :D

0o~Jasmine89~o0

HSC
It is not the university that counts, it is the people you hang around with that makes the difference and what you own. A guy with a Rolex watch will be exclusive, and could be my boyfriend.

44Ronin

HSC
Lawl said:

Not as much as getting Honours. ;)

It is not the university that counts, it is the people you hang around with that makes the difference and what you own. A guy with a Rolex watch will be exclusive, and could be my boyfriend.
Gold-digger alert.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
0o~Jasmine89~o0 said:
A guy with a Rolex watch will be exclusive, and could be my boyfriend.
That's subtle. Gold-digging, much?

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
44Ronin said:
Gold-digger alert.
Target in sight.

"Hi, my name's Wendy!"
"Hi, I'm Sally. Nice to meet you. :)"
"So why'd you choose UNSW?"
"Coz the guyz r richer than UWS. Duh plz."

44Ronin

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
That's subtle. Gold-digging, much?
At least she's honest. I think she'd be a perfect match for law students.:lol:

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Personally, if I'm an employer with two people sitting in front of me with the exact same qualifications and the only discriminator is university, I'd take the USyd guy over Mr UWS.

But what the hell do I know-- I'm UNSW.

44Ronin said:
At least she's honest. I think she'd be a perfect match for law students.
Is there a uni hotline for these kind of things? Or at least a personals space in the uni paper? "19yo 1styr, lookn 4 attrctve rich law stdnt. Plz call 0425------." :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)