• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

University life? (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Idk what is being said above haha. I've made friends with all sorts of people in my courses. International students included.

If you are sociable like me, honestly you should be fine at any uni.

However, of course I am talking about the general case of friends uou only see at uni. I have a bunch of friends (maybe 20 to 30) at uni that I see regularly outside of uni but yeah the rest I'm not too close with.

x3mish

HSC
N/A
Does this happen irl? Rejected because you aren't asian.
lmaoooo...no..I was just joking
Nationality doesn't matter when finding friends...but when finding the other half it's different HAHA

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Does this happen irl? Rejected because you aren't asian.
yes, very frequently.

Are you joking? Or srs?

No one cares about race do they? If you're friendly surely they'll be your friend.
full srs bro

If you're not Asian, do not expect to make any friends with Asians (especially international students) if you go to unsw

lmaoooo...no..I was just joking
Nationality doesn't matter when finding friends...but when finding the other half it's different HAHA
already found other half, I just wanted a friend :(

Flop21

HSC
yes, very frequently.

full srs bro

If you're not Asian, do not expect to make any friends with Asians (especially international students) if you go to unsw

already found other half, I just wanted a friend :(
wtf I'm still not sure if your joking or not, I understand international students... but most of UNSW is asian, so you're saying I can't be friends with most of the people at UNSW lol????

What about other races, you're indian right? So why are you not friends with other people who are indian?

integral95

HSC
Lel I make friends with people I regularly see at my uni classes, regardless of their nationality (and yes that includes the international one).

But sure you would get along better with people who are of the same race.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
wtf I'm still not sure if your joking or not, I understand international students... but most of UNSW is asian, so you're saying I can't be friends with most of the people at UNSW lol????

What about other races, you're indian right? So why are you not friends with other people who are indian?
I thought he was white lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
not true. I'm asian..I find it hard to make friends HAHAHAHA
Wait did you end up transferring to UNSW Elec?

full srs bro

Nah you know what my background is and more than 50% of all my uni friends are asian.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Anyone can integrate fine at any uni with others who are willing to make friends. I guess the only factor that changes is how many people are willing to make new friends at the uni. From my experience, pretty much everyone I have met has been friendly.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

yes exactly what I am saying. not many Indian people in my classes, hard time making friends with white people or Asians especially after first year

Lel I make friends with people I regularly see at my uni classes, regardless of their nationality (and yes that includes the international one).

But sure you would get along better with people who are of the same race.
I made friends with integral in MATH1241 lectures, then I never went to any lectures lol

Also once you make friends very hard to stay friends because you only see them once in a while, they have their own friends, your timetable doesn't match up etc etc so really all you do is a awkward head/chin thrust every time you walk past them then eventually you/they forget who each other are and they're just another person on your friend list

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Iranian/Afghan.

By the time I am at UNSW, probably you will be already out lol.
There aren't many I see around, but are you Muslim? You could make friends with a lot of muslim propel and they have a society.

Ill be at uni for at least another 3 years maybe even a semester more so might see you around :)))

Flop21

HSC
Do i give of a white person vibe?

I am Indian tho
I actually thought you were asian for some reason.

Yeah I get how hard it must be to try and make good friends when they've already got their own friends / social circles. I hope you find some good friends tho, because it's good support.

Well hopefully I make a lot of friends, I'm going to stay on campus next year if I've got my money sorted out, so if I don't it will be quite lonely lol.

I don't seem to get a long well with other Muslims and neither am I religious lol. Unless there Muslims who are Persian or Afghan then we really get a long well, like same language and culture.

UNSW seems so small compared to USYD. So I guess there isn't much cultural variety.

Besides the racial differences, isn't there more than just that? Like aren't there social groups for people who are like into say football, music or debating? Can't you build friends around these sorts of things instead of through racial differences? Its the 21st century and we live in a secular multicultural society, we should judge people by their actions instead of their looks or background.
Tbh I've never met someone who cared about what race other people are. We live in Sydney, one of the most multicultural cities. And you're right, I would believe the common person makes friends on interests and compatibility.

Flop21

HSC
How much does it cost to live on campus? It would be so good living near nice beaches, touristy places and shops in the eastern suburbs. Its definitely worth it, if you don't live so close by.
Tbh I live close by hahaha, well 30 minute drive (but would have to buy a car) or over an hour public transport. But I struggle to study at home and honestly need to get out, at least for a year.

I plan on staying at the village, which is not catered, and around $270 a week rent. Which is quite expensive considering there'll be over 5 people in the apartment ALL paying that rent a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)