University Prep Course (Alternative Uni Entry) (1 Viewer)

VMMXIII

HSC
N/A
I left high school after graduating year 10 because I pretty much didn't know what I wanted to do so just worked and saved etc. At about 22yo came clear to me that I'm very interested in animals and science mainly so I put much thought into becoming a Veterinarian. I'm on week 2 of the University Prep Course at the University of Sydney and am finding it pretty hard to keep up - what we're being taught now is meant to be what we were supposedly taught from year 9 - 12 and I hardly recognize any of it. Science is a lot easier to understand, I can study it, take it in a lot easier however another downfall is not being good at cramming everything in before an exam and being able to display it to the best of my knowledge right there and then.

So besides work, twice a week I take a 2 hour mathematics class (I barely understand it however take down all the notes to study later) and a 4 hour Science class, they're trying to cover all bases. Best case scenario is you do well in your exams, apply for a bachelors degree and enter into university that way without UAI/HSC.

To give you an idea of the courses:
Mathematics - http://cce.sydney.edu.au/class/UPMA-23
Science - http://cce.sydney.edu.au/class/UPSC-10

Looked simple to me, figured it'd all come flooding back but unfortunately 8 years out of school hasn't done me any favors.

Ideally the plan was to:
- Spend this year doing the UPC and achieve the marks to enroll in the Bachelor of Animal & Veterinary Bioscience (or similar)
- Do well in my first year, perform the extra curriculum that's expected (eg; proof of an interested in animal health, experience with animals, STAT etc)
- Start my Bachelor of Veterinary Science degree and finish with flying colours ...ideally.

Is my best bet to hire a one on one tutor maybe one a week to revisit everything and try to perfect my understanding of the class work? Even if I do well in Science I don't think I can get into any degree that interest's me because everything revolved around Science seems to need Mathematics also. Any input appreciated, thanks :D

Kittikhun

HSC
You need to discover your own way to study effectively. There are plenty of threads and articles on this website that can help you with this, but I can't be bothered looking them up for you right now, to be honest, sorry. You'll find them though. Read them and then experiment with what you've read until you find something that works the best for you. The advice I can give you though with this is that spacing your study is very important if you want to absorb stuff, so cramming ain't recommended, as you already know. Make sure to type up your notes as well on the computer if you have not already, and organise them by subheadings to the stuff that you are learning so that you have a good summary at the end of the essential points to read over before the exams.

The courses you are doing are very much the same to the HSC level, so, yeah, if you are finding some difficulty in mastering them, I would suggest getting a tutor to earn the marks you need if you are really, really struggling. However, if you are not struggling, as in you're not getting fails but instead acceptable passes, I'd suggest for you to have a read around here for some good books that people have found useful that you could use for your own study, and when you need help on something, ask it on here in the HSC section. This will be good and beneficial for you, since at uni, you have to learn a lot by yourself anyway. Oh, and for the maths, go on youtube and search for videos on the maths topics that you are doing; the maths videos on youtube are very good. The same goes for chem and physics in regards to youtube.

Jewls

HSC
N/A
At about 22yo came clear to me that I'm very interested in animals and science mainly so I put much thought into becoming a Veterinarian.
Have you done any work experience with vets? You should get several weeks experience before dedicating 7 or more years of study. To be a vet you need to have an interest in talking to people as that is what you will do most of the time. You also need to like marketing and finances as selling of treatment and diagnostics is a large component of a veterinarians job. Owners will often decline treatment and bosses will expect you to try and sell treatments.

I'm on week 2 of the University Prep Course at the University of Sydney and am finding it pretty hard to keep up
It is early days. First few weeks of something new are always difficult. Just put in lots of time, practice makes perfect. If you've got some friends or family who have done science/maths maybe ask them for help. Borrow some books from the library or look up other online sources of information that is similar to your work for further explanation.

Ideally the plan was to:
- Spend this year doing the UPC and achieve the marks to enroll in the Bachelor of Animal & Veterinary Bioscience (or similar)
- Do well in my first year, perform the extra curriculum that's expected (eg; proof of an interested in animal health, experience with animals, STAT etc)
- Start my Bachelor of Veterinary Science degree and finish with flying colours ...ideally.
This is a long road. I hope you have lots of finances to support all this study. The unemployment rate of veterinary graduates has quadrupled in the last 6 years in Australia and wages are exceedingly low. Those who truly want to help animals may consider seeking higher paid employment and donating to animal charities as a better route.

lovelyaid

Banned
HSC
N/A
It looks pretty easy imo.

Maybe during your mid semester break, buckle down and study? Buy the HSC books, that will help you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)