UNSW and Other Sydney Unis (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

devrandom

HSC
Hey you all ... sorry to bring up a much asked sort of question, but I promise I've spent at least a hour searching through old posts first and couldn't quite get the answer I was looking for.

I'm coming to Sydney for next semester and trying to pick between a few unis. I've figured out all the academic parts and so now I'm down to trying to figure out the differences as far as atmosphere, people, campus, and accessibility to the city.

Can anyone try to say how UNSW compares to USyd and UTS in those areas?

It seems like they're all pretty good choices, with USyd and UTS being more in city than UNSW, and UTS doesn't have as much of a "campus" feel, but like how do they all compare social wise? And even though UNSW is outside of the city, is there still a lot to do there?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
UNSW is only about 15-20mins from Central. I see that you are from the USA, so i guess USYD would be more what you are used to seeing at universities.

gman03

HSC
To be honest, I think USyd's "parties" would have more people involved than UNSW.

My vote is Usyd for you.

Disclaimer: I don't know shaz.

zkuld

newblet
HSC
devrandom said:
Hey you all ... sorry to bring up a much asked sort of question, but I promise I've spent at least a hour searching through old posts first and couldn't quite get the answer I was looking for.

I'm coming to Sydney for next semester and trying to pick between a few unis. I've figured out all the academic parts and so now I'm down to trying to figure out the differences as far as atmosphere, people, campus, and accessibility to the city.

It seems like they're all pretty good choices, with USyd and UTS being more in city than UNSW, and UTS doesn't have as much of a "campus" feel, but like how do they all compare social wise? And even though UNSW is outside of the city, is there still a lot to do there?
IMO, I think UNSW has a modern city feel to it, USyd has a old English classical feel to it (due to the sandstone buildings). Generally speaking, UNSW probably caters a lot better than USyd as far as international students go, but the thing is that a large majority of those international students are from Asia, not America. Both campuses are nice but it depends on what you like better - modern or traditional. I love sandstone buildings :D USyd is apparently a little bigger in size too. USyd is about 10-15 minute walk from Redfern station (one station away from the Central city station).

USyd would probably be the better choice for you because it's probably much more representative of an American uni.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What are you looking at studying?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Party-wise:

USyd > UNSW > UTS

USyd - Plenty of residential college parties (Wes/St.A), bar nights, performances and hotness.
UNSW - Slightly less; more exclusive
UTS - Lame and penis-like.

ohne

HSC
devrandom said:

There are quite a lot of Americans at UNSW, so it obviously has some appeal to international students.

UNSW is outside the city, but closer to the beach if you are interested in that. It is also probably better (in my opinion) in terms of the nearby suburbs if you're living off-campus.

It takes about 15 minutes by bus from UNSW to the city, I'm not sure about the other unis.

devrandom

HSC
Hmm, the extra americans is actually a bit of a down-side I'd say .. while over in Syd I'm hoping to meet more people who aren't like everyone I know back home :)

Modern or classical is cool with me .. I currently go to the University of New Hampshire over here in the US which is more of a classical place. Long as there is still some nature to be seen and sat on then I'm happy either way.

Thanks for the advice .. I kinda gathered that UTS is probably not the place to go. I'm studying computer engineering which, from my poking around, looks like I can do fairly well at UNSW or Usyd ..

Nearer to the beach is a plus, but so is being near to the city, so those both balance out.

From the Usyd website it talks about a bunch of different "campuses" spread out through the city ... what's that about? I was under the impression that the uni was all in one place?

15min by bus into the city isn't really bad... at UNSW is there also stuff to do near/on campus?

gerhard

HSC
usyd has a few extra small campuses spread out through the city. health sciences are in one place, musicians in another, artists in another. everyone else is at the main campus. you will never have to venture to the other campuses.

grimreaper

HSC
devrandom said:
Hmm, the extra americans is actually a bit of a down-side I'd say .. while over in Syd I'm hoping to meet more people who aren't like everyone I know back home :)

Modern or classical is cool with me .. I currently go to the University of New Hampshire over here in the US which is more of a classical place. Long as there is still some nature to be seen and sat on then I'm happy either way.

Thanks for the advice .. I kinda gathered that UTS is probably not the place to go. I'm studying computer engineering which, from my poking around, looks like I can do fairly well at UNSW or Usyd ..

Nearer to the beach is a plus, but so is being near to the city, so those both balance out.

From the Usyd website it talks about a bunch of different "campuses" spread out through the city ... what's that about? I was under the impression that the uni was all in one place?

15min by bus into the city isn't really bad... at UNSW is there also stuff to do near/on campus?
If youre doing comp eng, you may want to go to unsw - UNSW's school of computing is one of if not the best in Australia. Sydney's however isnt up there with the best. And also, if you're wondering about which uni to go to socially, I would say you cant go wrong between unsw or usyd if you plan to stay at college

Raginsheep

HSC
When you say City, do you mean the central business district or the actual greater Sydney city?

devrandom

HSC
by city I just mean the active part of town where people go for restaurants, movies, bars, beach?, etc, and other things to do ... I've never been down to Syd so I'm not really sure what that would mean ... I think I mean the central business dist

Nah, no americans for me plz, I know far too many of them as it is. MQ was on my list, but I think it may be a little bit too small and out of the way compared to unsw or usyd

I had definitely heard good things about UNSW's compsci/compeng programs .. which is a plus, but ya know the vast majority of my degree is going to be completed in the states since I'm only going to syd for the one semester .. so I'm more concerned with picking the more fun school for this trip, not to say I don't care about the academics, I def do want to take decent real classes for my major

KD

HSC
N/A
There wouldn't be much difference in travel times between USyd or UNSW and the CBD.

stamos

sellout
HSC
sydney has better campus life and more 'nature', unsw has better computer nerds

decisions decisions

devrandom

HSC
oh I already know enough computer nerds, but with so many people there, there's gotta be a good pile of normal people too I'm hoping.

Only prob with Usyd is I heard something about it being difficult to get on-campus housing. Living outside the uni isn't too bad, but I'd prefer to be on the campus if I can help it. Does UNSW have decent living space available?

grimreaper

HSC
stamos said:
sydney has better campus life and more 'nature', unsw has better computer nerds

decisions decisions
better campus life? HAHAHAHAH living on campus myself at unsw, I'd have to say i seriously doubt it

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
devrandom said:

You will enjoy your time at both. UNSW is really only 15 mins from the city. However UNSW is closer to the eastern suburb beaches.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah the plus for UNSW is its proximity to the beaches
and it really isn't that far away from the city

grimreaper

HSC
devrandom said:
oh I already know enough computer nerds, but with so many people there, there's gotta be a good pile of normal people too I'm hoping.

Only prob with Usyd is I heard something about it being difficult to get on-campus housing. Living outside the uni isn't too bad, but I'd prefer to be on the campus if I can help it. Does UNSW have decent living space available?
While the uni accomodation itself isnt fantastic at unsw, its still ok (and not very hard to get for those coming from overseas). Most importantly, if you decide to stay on campus at one of the colleges to have fun, theres no doubt youll have it. I can't speak for usyd, but unsw is an awesome place to live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)