UNSW Bcomm or BComm/ECO?????? (1 Viewer)

Flamethrower

HSC
How long do you spend in uni with a single or double degree? Does a double degree mean a considerably heavier workload?

+ I like banana

runnable

HSC
3 Years BComm, 4 Years BComm/Eco. You have the same workload per semester but you just do 1 more year of it if you do Comm/Eco.

Tazzz

HSC
defs comm/eco you can do 3 majors
not anymore from 2012 onwards they wont let u do 3 majors only 2, u can do them but they just wont recognise them as 3 majors but as 2 + free electives

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends why you are considering it. If you like economics and/or plan to make a career out of it, then sure, but if you're doing it just because you think it might help you get a grad job, I'd spend my time/money elsewhere.

ps. I personally found economics in uni a lot harder than HSC and it actually turned me off as it was much more maths & concept focussed.

Bendent

HSC
yeah i find finance easiest, then accounting. economics is...strangely hard.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i find finance easiest, then accounting. economics is...strangely hard.
lol you are completely opposite to me

economics by far the easiest, accounting and i failed finance last sem

yin yang.jpg

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I found accounting, especially in the earlier years at uni, quite challenging and difficult to get good marks in (i.e. passes and bare credits). Contrasting this I did significantly better in finance subjects, and even economics with HDs. Somehow I ended up becoming quite good at accounting though :)

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
not anymore from 2012 onwards they wont let u do 3 majors only 2, u can do them but they just wont recognise them as 3 majors but as 2 + free electives
so what if they dont recognize it? you've done the subjects, you can say you have a major in it no questions asked

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I found accounting, especially in the earlier years at uni, quite challenging and difficult to get good marks in (i.e. passes and bare credits). Contrasting this I did significantly better in finance subjects, and even economics with HDs. Somehow I ended up becoming quite good at accounting though :)
I found that earlier on everything is really hard to put together. Sure debits and credits (in the really elementary accounting subjects) are quite simple to apply in an exam, but having the right perspective to see how what you're learning is applied in the real world is a little difficult when you're starting out in my opinion.

immabee

HSC
Uni Grad
Have never touched economics at all until first year. I did macro and another economics unit last semester. At first I struggled a little for the first 2 months. At that point of time Economics is really a strange field for me. But it gets pretty interesting as time passes. Turns out it wasn't that bad after all, managed to resurrect macro from a C to a high D and meanwhile screw a little on another economics unit, placing it 3 marks away from HD. This semester I'm doing micro, same approach (but less struggle), and I hope this unit gets resurrected too. Future plans? To do more higher level economics or not, it all depends whether do I need to resurrect these units again and again.

Accounting, .. quite easy all the way till first year's financial accounting unit . As this is my first year second semester, I'm now taking year 2's corporate accounting. Mmm.. quite a struggle to be honest because the workload and level of understanding between these 2 units have a large gap. It's understandable on how things work (well, except for tax) and a lot to memorise (referring to preparing accounting layouts). This Wednesday I'll be sitting for Corporate Accounting exam, which would be the last exam. Taking this unit (corporate accounting) definitely eliminates everyone's mindset that.. it's not just all about book keeping when Accounting standards start to creep in, resulting more people giving up financial accounting major.

Finance, I can't give any comment about that yet. Going to take it next year. And as everyone says, if you fail/can't cope with an introductory finance unit, you'll most probably have to ditch that as a major. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me. :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting perspective because I found as time went on I found accounting level 2/3 subjects comparably easier than first year debits and credits.

immabee

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting perspective because I found as time went on I found accounting level 2/3 subjects comparably easier than first year debits and credits.
Are you guys (referring to UNSW) learning consolidation, business combinations, liquidation etc in a accounting level 2 subject as well? Level 1 accounting unit is seriously almost a joke. :spin:.

Bendent

HSC
later accounting subjects are like auditing and 3rd level corporate financial reporting and analysis? i believe those are easier than the debits and credit of core accountin courses dunno why. also management accounting is hard to me.

Flamethrower

HSC
Still undecided. Where do you find what content you are going to learn for commerce and economics, just to see if its worth doing a double degree. =)

stevey6404

HSC
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)