UNSW Chatter Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Semester 1 UNSW Chatter Thread 2013

A few questions...

1. I only just found out that classes don't run some weeks. Do people just check their timetables online every week to see if any classes aren't on or is there a way of being notified?

2. I was told that labs don't run first week but according to my timetable I have a BABS1201 lab on monday of week 1, my timetable is right yes?

3. With the teaching period weeks, what is N1, N2, N3 and N4?

4. My timetable says I have a chem tutorial in "law 302", is that the law building? Bit confused because I didn't think they'd have chemistry classes in there.

5. How come labs and tutorials don't have instructors listed on the timetable page, and how come some lectures have more than one instructor?

D94

HSC
N/A

1. Generally, tutorials and labs don't run in the first week (because they put into practice what you've learned in the previous lectures). Make sure when you are looking at your timetable in myUNSW, you only have Week 1 selected. You will need to look at your courses to see which weeks there are classes running. There may be certain weeks a class won't run, it could be alternating, it could be just the first half etc.

2. Refer to 1. I checked the BABS timetable and it does seem to have a lab running, but you're best bet is to contact your lecturer or course authority.

3. N1 should refer to the mid semester break as it's located between Week 4 and 5. N2/3/4 appear to be exam weeks (but I'm not 100% sure).

4. Yes. It's just a tutorial (not like a lab), you could be allocated to any room in the uni.

5. They could still be allocating tutors and lab demonstrators. Some lectures might split topics and assign them to different lecturers. Some times it's just another person you can go to, i.e. they are another course facilitator/authority. (although it's probably you're curiosity), I wouldn't worry about it.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad

thank you for your help! :3

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

Everyone else pumped for uni? Too bad i can't remember any maths from hsc hahaha (that's bad as i'm doing a maths HEAVY course)

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad

Does anyone know where the Corporate Case Group Strategy team will be meeting?

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad

what's the best way to keep textbooks in a good condition?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Everyone else pumped for uni? Too bad i can't remember any maths from hsc hahaha (that's bad as i'm doing a maths HEAVY course)
none of us did

More importantly, the issue is if you can learn the new maths, and remember it without anyone pushing you to study and the like.

HSC
Uni Grad

Not looking forward to the workload as of now =_='

darshil

Replicant
HSC

I know you're all bombarded with questions but bear with me.

Would like to know a couple of things:

1) Anyone know if K17 Computer lab requires ID card to get in. Can non CSE-students go in there? Also, is it true there are lan parties there often?

2) Could the experienced folk at this wonderfully large university recommend places to chill out in? Would prefer something with not too many people, powerpoints and not too strict on food policies. So far I am most comfortable in ASB :)

Take it easy you all.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad

First day of uni and already had 80 pages to read... How will I survive rest of sem >.>

malenkhean

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

I also have a few questions... :/
What's the difference between lecture notes and course notes? Oh, and lab manuals too.
And where can we get each of them?
Are the compulsary?
They seem like the most basic of things to know but I'm just so confused D:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

What's the difference between lecture notes and course notes? Oh, and lab manuals too.
Are the compulsary?
lecture notes are the notes used in lectures, course notes are just notes for you to read and lab manuals tell you how to do each lab and have questions and stuff

was surprised to see a subway and boost at uni today

wilsondw

HSC

Are the compulsary?
I got both CHEM1031 tutorial problems and notes and lab manuals at the UNSW bookstore....they come in a package

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad

I know you're all bombarded with questions but bear with me.

Would like to know a couple of things:

1) Anyone know if K17 Computer lab requires ID card to get in. Can non CSE-students go in there? Also, is it true there are lan parties there often?

2) Could the experienced folk at this wonderfully large university recommend places to chill out in? Would prefer something with not too many people, powerpoints and not too strict on food policies. So far I am most comfortable in ASB :)

Take it easy you all.
The Hub (lower Morven Brown) but I'm not sure how crowded/how not crowded it gets.

malenkhean

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

I got both CHEM1031 tutorial problems and notes and lab manuals at the UNSW bookstore....they come in a package
Oh awesome! That's the $20 one yeah?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Way too many first year student who need to learn you do not que for lectures on stairwells (blocking the staircases).

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad

do half the people in your classes show up 15 minutes early or is it just a first year thing

also where are the video recorded lectures uploaded to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)