Not open for further replies.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Basser steps are nasty. But going down them and celebrating the fact that you're making the trip down and giving people going up that smarmy look partially makes up for it.
tripping those cocky people skipping down makes up for that

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
how can you chose your classes right?

and can someone help me with this: http://www.gettingstarted.unsw.edu.au/accept-domestic-undergraduate-postgraduate-uac-direct

it says click the sign on tab and then the "my applications" tab but i dont see it. or am i 3 hours too early?
try logging out and closing your browser then try logging in again. Sometimes the cookie stuffs it up. This is kinda like what happens with enrolment when people log in before their appointment time

otherwise u r way too early

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
You should have asked this a few months back. It took me 8 months to pick which major I wanted to do.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...uilt-environment/310565/engineering-unsw.html

That will help a bit I guess.
I think i will just wing it. I've done so much research into the fields (probably more than the HSC lol) but i think once i (hopefully) get in i can make a more informed decision. when i went to the open/info days they were like "just come UNSW/USYD, we're better than all of the others" and our questions were not directly answered.

Also, with textbooks - is it really as dramatic as everyone makes it out to be. Some people were saying "i spent over $1k on books" and we only use some and others were like "i bought 1 book and i am a HD average" - So what?

Anddd, are you "expected" (i am using this word loosely) to be like able to adjust completely within the first day/week and "expected to know everything about uni?" (i dont know how to explain this)

And D94 - I'd like to get to know you. you seem like a great person :)

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
i cant find it anymore. It was in the brochure with the black cover that said "experience UNSW" and had the pictures of the buses and all these stastics. I know i sound paranoid (and it's not that big of an issue) but i know i saw it!
Ok, fair enough. But anyway, it has always been a paid service. A MyMulti will be beneficial if you go more than 2-3 days a week.

how can you chose your classes right?
Well for example, if you have a lecture at lower campus, you don't really want a tutorial at upper campus. Or if you have two tutorials in a row, you would want them to be nearby.

Of course if it's impossible to structure it in a better way, then it's impossible, but you are given some decent options.

The class location will be listed alongside the class times. For example, MATH1131: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/MATH1131.html (scroll down for the times and classes)

This is just something to consider if you don't like walking up the Basser Stairs.

and can someone help me with this: http://www.gettingstarted.unsw.edu.au/accept-domestic-undergraduate-postgraduate-uac-direct

it says click the sign on tab and then the "my applications" tab but i dont see it. or am i 3 hours too early?
It should look like this in the top left hand corner (excluding the Staff tab). If not, just wait until 9pm.

hey D94, what is mechanical engineering like anyway? after giving up on actuary; I want to do engineering but i like all of them except biomed. how can i chose. IIRC i think i put flexable as my choice
Kind of hard to explain what it's like - it undoubtedly requires you to enjoy the courses, otherwise it would be really dry and rather boring. Because it covers a fairly wide range of areas, such as from mechanics of solids to thermodynamics to statistics etc., it does require you to have that wide range of interests.

Maybe look at what career you could see yourself going into, then work back to decide on which engineering stream. The traditional streams are all rather different, so maybe look at the Handbooks for the streams, look at the courses you would have to take and decide whether they interest you.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, with textbooks - is it really as dramatic as everyone makes it out to be. Some people were saying "i spent over $1k on books" and we only use some and others were like "i bought 1 book and i am a HD average" - So what?
depends on course I say. For Law you will definitely need your textbooks.

Anddd, are you "expected" (i am using this word loosely) to be like able to adjust completely within the first day/week and "expected to know everything about uni?" (i dont know how to explain this)
Nope. They understand the transition from high school to uni is a bit challenging. For some things they will expect it within a few weeks others you get a bit more time

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone getting this?:
"Unfortunately, myUNSW is experiencing problems accessing the necessary records. Please Log Out and try again later.

If this problem persists, please contact our support team or use the feedback form on myUNSW. "

Do I have to wait?

D94

HSC
N/A

I wouldn't worry too much about textbooks at the moment. If you absolutely require them, then your lecturer will inform you. I just borrow the textbooks out from the library (and keep renewing them). Also depends on which degree you go into.

You aren't expected to know everything/adjust completely, but at the same time, it's meant to be an adult learning environment, so it's up to you to figure out how you want to spend your time at uni. Don't worry about that as well, there will be thousands of others who are in the same position - just don't get to that point where you are still completely lost and everyone has adjusted...

And D94 - I'd like to get to know you. you seem like a great person :)
:headbang:

Thief

!!
HSC
Anyone getting this?:
"Unfortunately, myUNSW is experiencing problems accessing the necessary records. Please Log Out and try again later.

If this problem persists, please contact our support team or use the feedback form on myUNSW. "

Do I have to wait?
I'm getting that as well. I assume it'll open at 9pm.

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone getting this?:

Do I have to wait?

I got the offer on UAC..but unsw isn't working..probably wait until after 9pm.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, fair enough. But anyway, it has always been a paid service. A MyMulti will be beneficial if you go more than 2-3 days a week.

Well for example, if you have a lecture at lower campus, you don't really want a tutorial at upper campus. Or if you have two tutorials in a row, you would want them to be nearby.

Of course if it's impossible to structure it in a better way, then it's impossible, but you are given some decent options.

The class location will be listed alongside the class times. For example, MATH1131: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/MATH1131.html (scroll down for the times and classes)

This is just something to consider if you don't like walking up the Basser Stairs.

It should look like this in the top left hand corner (excluding the Staff tab). If not, just wait until 9pm.

Kind of hard to explain what it's like - it undoubtedly requires you to enjoy the courses, otherwise it would be really dry and rather boring. Because it covers a fairly wide range of areas, such as from mechanics of solids to thermodynamics to statistics etc., it does require you to have that wide range of interests.

Maybe look at what career you could see yourself going into, then work back to decide on which engineering stream. The traditional streams are all rather different, so maybe look at the Handbooks for the streams, look at the courses you would have to take and decide whether they interest you.
well, as for engineering i just want to do something that will hopefully one day be implemented somewhere or work on designing new and more efficent systems. i just dont want to walk out of university and be fixing aeroplanes for the rest of my life but rather designing new wings or propulsions for an airline. One of the people (andre i think his name was) said that try to do an enginering major that is "generic" so you can adapt your skills anywhere so I am taking this quite liberally.

I wouldn't worry too much about textbooks at the moment. If you absolutely require them, then your lecturer will inform you. I just borrow the textbooks out from the library (and keep renewing them). Also depends on which degree you go into.

You aren't expected to know everything/adjust completely, but at the same time, it's meant to be an adult learning environment, so it's up to you to figure out how you want to spend your time at uni. Don't worry about that as well, there will be thousands of others who are in the same position - just don't get to that point where you are still completely lost and everyone has adjusted...
Lol i did this in high school - saved a lot espically when i dropped chemistry.

Thanks for that D94 - you have really helped me. i repped all your post then it came up with an error

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Fak UNSW Law is now 99.70...

Will UNSW Law finally surpass USYD Law?????

Thief

!!
HSC
It says I have a clash in engg1000 when I'm doing my timetable - that's just an issue on their end, right?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
It says I have a clash in engg1000 when I'm doing my timetable - that's just an issue on their end, right?
it happens every year i think lol (happened to me as well)
it doesnt matter though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)