UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Guys should I do higher phys or regular phys? Looking at the handbook they say much of a difference...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

MiseryParade

HSC
When are people planning to grab their ID cards? During O-week or beforehand? s:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Another question: Do lectures have to be before tutorials or is it ok to have tutorials before lectures?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Another question: Do lectures have to be before tutorials or is it ok to have tutorials before lectures?
Tutes cover the material from the previous week's lecture, so no doesn't matter if the tute is before the lecture.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Equity Scholarship outcomes are out!

I would thought that I would also get assessed by UNSW.

I got a potential 2 off payment of $1200 ($2400 p.a.) from UTS.... :(

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Tutes cover the material from the previous week's lecture, so no doesn't matter if the tute is before the lecture.
Thank you so much for your answer:)

Sorry for my many questions-I am just so tired after spending a whole sleepless night trying to understand the whole timetabling system and what not. For MATH1131, there is two tutorials, and it says on the timetable tutorial 1 of 2, tutorial 2 of 2, does it matter if tutorial 2 of 2 is before tutorial 1 of 2-or it doesn't since they are covering different topics?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Thank you so much for your answer:)

Sorry for my many questions-I am just so tired after spending a whole sleepless night trying to understand the whole timetabling system and what not. For MATH1131, there is two tutorials, and it says on the timetable tutorial 1 of 2, tutorial 2 of 2, does it matter if tutorial 2 of 2 is before tutorial 1 of 2-or it doesn't since they are covering different topics?
It doesnt matter since one is for calculus and the other for algebra

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It doesnt matter since one is for calculus and the other for algebra
Thank you so much for your help:) And thanks to everyone who have given very helpful answers to my endless stream of annoying questions:)

cream pirate

HSC
Im doing a Bachelor Science/Education and intend to become a maths teacher, kinda confused on which courses to take, so i took these ones;
EDST1101 - Educational Psychology
ENGG1811 - Computing for Engineers
MATH1131 - Mathematics 1A
PHYS1111 - Fundamentals of Physics

are these ok?

s2kimmm

HSC
Can anyone log in on myunsw right now or is it just me ...?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
whats so bad about 9am classes ? any pros ? LOL
What's bad? What's not bad about 9am classes? No sleep-ins!

I went to a party on a Thursday, got home at 1am, and had to be uni at 8:45 the next day. I got like five hours sleep <_<

also, can you change courses throughout the year? say from a higher maths course to a lower one?

how many subjects do you choose?
Before the census date, usually around Week 5 or so.

And 4. There are some courses that are worth 3 units, but most often, just pick 4 courses - that'll get you to the required 24uoc per semester.

HOW SHOULD I STRUCTURE MY TIMETABELEEEEEE!@K(RJQ@#R(AIDSjnfj
Depends. Look at the timetable site: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/subjectSearch.html

Get an Excel document up and plan where you want your classes to be. And then enrol in them. If you want all your classes on Monday, then see if you can.

Guys should I do higher phys or regular phys? Looking at the handbook they say much of a difference...
Are you good at Physics? Want to challenge yourself? If so, take Higher.

When are people planning to grab their ID cards? During O-week or beforehand? s:
The line at O-Week is horrendously long, but you can chat to other people in the line. Use it as a social opportunity.

Im doing a Bachelor Science/Education and intend to become a maths teacher, kinda confused on which courses to take, so i took these ones;
EDST1101 - Educational Psychology

are these ok?
All questions about "what subjects should I do" are answered by your Handbook entry: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/4076.html

Relevant parts include:

The basic requirements for the Bachelor of Education (Secondary) in Dual mode (96 UOC) are:

Education Core (60 UOC)
Prescribed Education method electives (24 UOC)
Prescribed Education electives (12 UOC)
Education Core
Level 1

EDST1101 Educational Psychology (6 UOC)
EDST1104 Social Perspectives in Educ. (6 UOC)
So you should take one or both of the above.

Now:

MATH1131 seems right, also this link is of help: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MATHV14076.html

PHYS1111 is good from the first link.

ENGG1811 doesn't show up anywhere. I'd suggest you replace that with MATH1081.

Also if you scroll down in the first link I gave you, it'll show: "Bachelor of Science Bachelor of Education (Secondary) - Sample Program Mathematics Major Stream". Use that as your guide.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
what is this elise study skills? is it like all my own work from yr10

cream pirate

HSC
Alright thanks for that, and ENGG1811 comes from here using this
Note: students who intend to become Mathematics teachers need to complete at least 6 UOC of computing courses (e.g., COMP1911, COMP1400, or ENGG1811) and 6 UOC of Physics (e.g. PHYS1111, PHYS1121, or PHYS1131).

Traveller0901

HSC
i have enrolled and everything, but does anyone know i can change my paymnet option from upfront to hecs? (i only said upfront because im still waiting for myTFN)

MiseryParade

HSC
(really hoping that shadowdude will pop up and answer this too)

I was going to take MATH1141, but I'm suddenly not sure if I'm up to it. (I got an exam mark of 93 for 4U and 94 for 3U in HSC) Is the added workload and difficulty of 1141 a huge leap from 1131? I'm doing optom so I can take 1041, 1131 or 1141 and I'm wondering if there's a good reason, apart from interest, to take the highest maths available and see myself suffer. s:

qrpw

HSC

I was going to take MATH1141, but I'm suddenly not sure if I'm up to it. (I got an exam mark of 93 for 4U and 94 for 3U in HSC) Is the added workload and difficulty of 1141 a huge leap from 1131? I'm doing optom so I can take 1041, 1131 or 1141 and I'm wondering if there's a good reason, apart from interest, to take the highest maths available and see myself suffer. s:
You should be ok with it going by exam marks. It's not a huge leap and most of the course is the same. Since you're doing optom in terms of your degree, there's no point, apart from wanting a higher mark at the end.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
what is this elise study skills? is it like all my own work from yr10
It is.

I like to think the Dean is married to someone named Elise and named it in tribute of her but... who knows, really.

sup

Well, I got 82 and 81 respectively for those HSC subjects. So on paper, I should've died a miserable death in first year, scraping passes.

1141 is harder than 1131, yes. I don't think it's that much more difficult, because 1131/41 is basically MX2 and MX1 revision time with a few extra bits thrown in, and if you are a capable 4u student - some of the X questions (the 1141 only questions) will be fine.

If you're aiming for high marks, I suggest you take 1141 because scaling is a factor and I believe it says somewhere that if you're aiming for Ds and HDs, you might as well take 1141 because "very few" of these marks are handed out to 1131 students (by percentage, I'm assuming, since like 500 people take 1131, iirc).

So... it's up to you. I think your high marks perhaps show an interest in maths, I'd try 1141, and you can always drop down to 1131 if you find the extra stuff is too much (the extra stuff is very clearly marked in your course pack).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)