UNSW Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: WAM Prediction Thread

SD you could have picked some different courses to avoid clash lol.

Also, you said 2 semesters of consecutive HD WAM for you, so I would think they would approve clashes lol.
I could've but I wanted to do Game Theory and Macro 2 and I figured my WAM and my express want to do those two courses would've let me through

But no

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Could have done courses for next year this year instead. I've done that quite a bit so I'm getting a taste of 3rd year already.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Could have done courses for next year this year instead. I've done that quite a bit so I'm getting a taste of 3rd year already.
Next year is Honours :p

need to finish it all this year, hence overload next semester thank you economics school

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Start honours/thesis early lol. Doesn't hurt that much as long as it isn't too early lol.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Start honours/thesis early lol. Doesn't hurt that much as long as it isn't too early lol.
yeah... they tightened up the rules so I can't do that anymore

I'll be taking my 5 honours courses next year - one in summer school, and then two in Sem 1 and then two in Sem 2

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2015.

yes

quite surprising tbh considering there are like a few thousand people doing math courses
I think it has to do with the efficiency of the maths department and the relative ease to mark maths answers-because it is a concrete answer compared to other courses that involves essay writing

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

I think it has to do with the efficiency of the maths department and the relative ease to mark maths answers-because it is a concrete answer compared to other courses that involves essay writing
I guess that is true, in math you're either right or wrong and there isn't a lot to read or subjective

and there are also (I assume) a lot of math tutors marking them

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Yeah I got an email asking if I wanted to help mark some of the maffs papers

They have a room set up and it's super organised

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

1131/1141

Since there's about max 1500 of those they would have to mark

Only available to Honours students

and I guess people they like because I'm not even doing Honours yet

though Peter Brown and I are best buddies so maybe that's it :p

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah I got an email asking if I wanted to help mark some of the maffs papers

They have a room set up and it's super organised
Wow nice. I thought it was only reserved for tutors and up, or at least when I walked passed the marking room (last semester) it was purely tutors.

EDIT: saw the post ^

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Wow nice. I thought it was only reserved for tutors and up, or at least when I walked passed the marking room (last semester) it was purely tutors.

EDIT: saw the post ^

Actually might also be staff members since I'm technically a member of staff

(maple consulting)

mreditor16

HSC

So, course outlines are out for all the subjects I'm doing next semester (ACTL1101, MATH1251, ACCT1511, ECON1102). Just wanted to note some things -

* For MATH1251, I've got Potapov and Tran as my lecturers. Does anyone have any insights into these lecturers? I've had the following insights already:

D Potapov (Algebra) is chill and sometimes a funny guy and can be pretty engaging too, but his way of delivering lectures is not the best, he doesn't really have a neat set of lecture notes to follow, so your best friend will be the yellow book (from the 1251 Course Pack). He does use examples from the tutorial book to demonstrate a few concepts, so sometimes his notes can be helpful. He also likes to take things quite conceptually at times, so it may become hard to follow what he is trying to explain. Overall, he is still pretty good. I don't know about Tran though, never had him and never heard any review about him as a lecturer.
MATH1251 - Thanh Tran is a good lecturer (imo) because he says function as "fanktion", as well as the fact that he can explain concepts very well (I've had him in MATH1151). Don't know anything about Potapov though.
MATH1251 is pretty much same as 1151 with assessments. 64% final, 20% class tests, and the rest is made up of online quizzes and MATLAB lab test.

* For ACTL1101, I have Sherris as my lecturer (no big surprise) and William Liu as my tutor. Does anyone have any insights into Sherris and/or Liu?

As for assessments, midsem quiz held in the lecture is worth 10%, a group assignment (processing, analysing data etc is what I gathered) is worth 20% and the final is worth 70%

* For ACCT1511, I still don't know my 'seminar leader'. But what is interesting is that the final is 70% and the remaining 30% comes from three 20 minute class tests (hence, each worth 10%). What's interesting about these class tests is that they are open-book and are to be completed on a device you bring along (e.g. tablet, laptop). Not sure about the format though - I'm thinking it will probably be MC.

* For ECON1102, first thing that strikes me is an all MC final worth 65%.

10% comes from your best 8 marks out of 9 worksheets that "will be distributed and collected in tutorials". In regard to these worksheets, the course outline says "In the first half of a tutorial, a worksheet will be distributed to all students by your tutor. Working individually or in small groups you will be able to work on a series of short questions and problems related to the previous week’s lecture material. Your tutor will be available – if necessary – to provide assistance with the questions. All students will need to complete and submit their own individual worksheet. The worksheets will be collected by your tutor and will be marked; where your mark will primarily reflect the amount of effort that you have put into completing the worksheet"

It sounds quite dodgy tbh, especially the last part highlighted, but we'll see how it goes.

And then there's two in-class tests, which are all short answers. The first one (in Week 5) is 20 minutes and worth 10%. The second one (in Week 9) is 30 minutes and worth 15%.

I don't know who my tutor is yet, but I've got Glenn Otto as my lecturer. Anyone got any insights about him?

----

This semester is going to be interesting. Especially with all my final exams being worth between 64% and 70%

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

So, course outlines are out for all the subjects I'm doing next semester (ACTL1101, MATH1251, ACCT1511, ECON1102). Just wanted to note some things -

* For MATH1251, I've got Potapov and Tran as my lecturers. Does anyone have any insights into these lecturers? I've had the following insights already:

MATH1251 is pretty much same as 1151 with assessments. 64% final, 20% class tests, and the rest is made up of online quizzes and MATLAB lab test.

* For ACTL1101, I have Sherris as my lecturer (no big surprise) and William Liu as my tutor. Does anyone have any insights into Sherris and/or Liu?

As for assessments, midsem quiz held in the lecture is worth 10%, a group assignment (processing, analysing data etc is what I gathered) is worth 20% and the final is worth 70%

* For ACCT1511, I still don't know my 'seminar leader'. But what is interesting is that the final is 70% and the remaining 30% comes from three 20 minute class tests (hence, each worth 10%). What's interesting about these class tests is that they are open-book and are to be completed on a device you bring along (e.g. tablet, laptop). Not sure about the format though - I'm thinking it will probably be MC.

* For ECON1102, first thing that strikes me is an all MC final worth 65%.

10% comes from your best 8 marks out of 9 worksheets that "will be distributed and collected in tutorials". In regard to these worksheets, the course outline says "In the first half of a tutorial, a worksheet will be distributed to all students by your tutor. Working individually or in small groups you will be able to work on a series of short questions and problems related to the previous week’s lecture material. Your tutor will be available – if necessary – to provide assistance with the questions. All students will need to complete and submit their own individual worksheet. The worksheets will be collected by your tutor and will be marked; where your mark will primarily reflect the amount of effort that you have put into completing the worksheet"

It sounds quite dodgy tbh, especially the last part highlighted, but we'll see how it goes.

And then there's two in-class tests, which are all short answers. The first one (in Week 5) is 20 minutes and worth 10%. The second one (in Week 9) is 30 minutes and worth 15%.

I don't know who my tutor is yet, but I've got Glenn Otto as my lecturer. Anyone got any insights about him?

----

This semester is going to be interesting. Especially with all my final exams being worth between 64% and 70%
MATH1251 - Exactly the same assessment structure as 1151, only difference is lecturers and material you learn.

ACTL1101 - Sherris is a solid lecturer, teaches the content quite well but sometimes he may become boring to listen too. He is very well organised and uploads all the required material well before time.

ECON1102 - Glenn Otto is engaging and clear, a solid and helpful lecturer with whom you can learn the content quite easily.

ACCT1511 - Doing it this SEM2, but it seems to have changed a lot assessment-wise since last year, so we'll see how that goes.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

All my final exams in first semester were worth at least 50%.

50, 50, 60 and 75.

I did ACCT1511 in Sem 1 2015, and they definitely changed it from 2014.

Looks like they changed it again.

In 2014, many people were going into the final exam with full marks (like 40/40) so I guess they changed it to fix that (I had Leon Wong and he said it was too easy to 'cheat' with the online stuff and hence, they changed the assessment structure).

Our assessment structure was:
- 5% team exercise
- 20% RATs (4 on the spot quizzes, throughout the semester, worth 5% each)
- 75% finals (60 MC and 15 SA)

My comment on the finals: they gave us MC questions on each topic as practice and basically, 75% of the MC questions seemed to be recycled questions. Even for the SA, most of it seemed familiar (basically study the seminar questions).

If someone had fully memorised all the answers to the MC questions they gave to us, I think they would have done well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)