UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

No ones going to read into ur transcript that much srsly
I'd argue the opposite: Plenty of employers closely read the academic transcript, wanting to know what subjects you have excelled at or done poorly. And if you're doing 3 subjects only, then you'd definitely need to have a good explanation as to why.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

What happens if there isn't a reason (like something i would attempt to say) , a good reason or just reason, i guess i will just have to find a reason or something? that would look terrible which is what i'm worried about. I don't want to drop any of ECON1203 or ECON2102, i hope that is the case. Thank you for the link for program contacts. Also, how likely is that you have to mention ATAR or provide documents for an internship?
You can just say that you were a bit unsure of what you were supposed to study at the time (I assume this is why you only did 3 courses in those semesters, otherwise just come up with whatever reason you had when you chose not to do a 4th course in those semesters (eg needed a break/gap from study?)) and then focus on how you have improved on this or something.

Depends on the type of internship. If it is related to an internship that is aimed at first years then ATAR is required to be mentioned. If it is towards final years then ATAR will barely be mentioned.

As for documentation, having a CV is usually handy. It will depend on each type of internship/job/scholarship but as with everything documentation requirements will vary.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

I'd argue the opposite: Plenty of employers closely read the academic transcript, wanting to know what subjects you have excelled at or done poorly. And if you're doing 3 subjects only, then you'd definitely need to have a good explanation as to why.
not really lol

you could be like "had other stuff going on, was doing part time work, etc" doesn't have to be a "good" reason per-say, and even if they do ask you which they probably won't, any explanation would be good enough.

like I only did 3 subjects last semester it's not like my future employer is going to say "why did you only do 3 subjects then, why not 4? I am not going to hire you because person xyz did 4 and you didn't"

sadpwner

HSC
N/A

Do unsw scholarships close at 5pm on the closing date?

HSC

Why is there semester 1 T1 deadline to drop without academic penalty (NF) 24 april 2016
Semester T1A deadline to drop with academic penalty (AW) 24th April 2016

and there is the semester 1 census date? Which date is applicable? View attachment 33040

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Why is there semester 1 T1 deadline to drop without academic penalty (NF) 24 april 2016
Semester T1A deadline to drop with academic penalty (AW) 24th April 2016

and there is the semester 1 census date? Which date is applicable? View attachment 33040
protip: have a look at what the codes mean

HSC

Yes, I had a look, and I'm assuming that we are the 1st option right since it is overall t1 and not t1A? So would the 1st line be the right one?

keepLooking

HSC

when UNSW decides to shut-down moodle for april fools'

:chainsaw:

mreditor16

HSC

Moodle went down for about 10 minutes.

HSC

I didn't realise i had to apply for hecs fees again when I changed degrees, so now my student fees are overdue. Can i still pay now? what do I do? and how do i pay for it now with a penalty i guess right? yes, i'm such a failure, why do i do this to myself?

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

I didn't realise i had to apply for hecs fees again when I changed degrees, so now my student fees are overdue. Can i still pay now? what do I do? and how do i pay for it now with a penalty i guess right? yes, i'm such a failure, why do i do this to myself?
First, make sure you re-apply for your HECS fees on myUNSW.

Then, call this place up or talk to them in person. Try calling today (doesn't say their opening hours on the site at the moment). Otherwise go to them on Monday or call them up.

https://student.unsw.edu.au/fees-contacts

HSC

Yeah, on monday, i'm going to go to see Student financials, since there is no form to fill online . Thanks.

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad

not really lol

you could be like "had other stuff going on, was doing part time work, etc" doesn't have to be a "good" reason per-say, and even if they do ask you which they probably won't, any explanation would be good enough.

like I only did 3 subjects last semester it's not like my future employer is going to say "why did you only do 3 subjects then, why not 4? I am not going to hire you because person xyz did 4 and you didn't"
That's fair enough, although it really depends on the employer. For example, several of the IBs went through my transcript during the interview, and really grilled me on how I was keeping myself busy. So, with those firms, you would have to justify why you took only 3 courses. Saying that you worked part-time and were also involved with the running of a student society is a good reason - it's certainly no mean feat to successfully manage all of that.

Flop21

HSC

So I understand that getting involved with a society is good for your resume. But is any society and doing anything in that society really okay? Or are there ones that would be better for your resume?

Say I want to get a software engineering job at a tech company, what society and position would be most relevant? Or does it not matter?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

So I understand that getting involved with a society is good for your resume. But is any society and doing anything in that society really okay? Or are there ones that would be better for your resume?

Say I want to get a software engineering job at a tech company, what society and position would be most relevant? Or does it not matter?
well obviously not something like foodsoc lol

you need to be in smething that shows off ur skills, any leadership societies etc

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Honestly, it's okay to be involved in non-career/non-faculty related societies.

Personally, I prefer having a mix of faculty-related and recreational/fundraising societies.

Obviously, it'd be better to be a team leader, director or an executive than a subcommittee member - because the former shows leadership skills. But most people will work their way up.

I think you should look into ECS (Engineering Careers Society) and CSESoc. Also, I'd perhaps look into getting some tech startup experience?

HSC
Uni Grad

Honestly, it's okay to be involved in non-career/non-faculty related societies.

Personally, I prefer having a mix of faculty-related and recreational/fundraising societies.

Obviously, it'd be better to be a team leader, director or an executive than a subcommittee member - because the former shows leadership skills. But most people will work their way up.

I think you should look into ECS (Engineering Careers Society) and CSESoc. Also, I'd perhaps look into getting some tech startup experience?
It should be fine as you can show that you're working in diverse environments and thus you have experience in more than just one background. :D

And definitely volunteer or be exec of recreational societies (i.e. rubix society, animeUNSW, etc.) mostly to show different backgrounds as well as to meet people and potential friends.

qweqwe

HSC

I'm a first-year student, so that explains my cluelessness.

I wanted to defer my uni fees through HECS HELP, and I have already applied but when I go to this link and log in: https://my.unsw.edu.au/active/129/fs.xml It says "You are not eligible for HECS HELP or applications are currently closed."
Furthermore, when I log in to myUNSW, my current liability is still "$4,155.40" even though the census date passed on the 31st of March.
Should I go speak to UNSW Student Central in person on Monday, or this normal?

Also, I thought that the SSAF fees would be added on to my HECS HELP, but I now found out that the deadline for this was on the 6th of March and I didn't apply for SA-HELP.
I have no problem with paying the $145 upfront, but is it too late to pay that now?

HSC

qweqwe, i'm in the same situation as you as in it was too late my current liability still remains , but I paid my ssaf fee after march 6 but before march 31. that would still be counted as having paid ssaf right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)