UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

For those who sat Phys1A, I don't know why you're stressing about not passing. Literally 50% of the final exam are gimme marks, like 0 effort at all. How have you gotten through all the labs without learning a single thing! Why didn't you ask your demos for halp or go to the duty tutor! Easy subjectttttttttttt
I agree with the first part. 50% of the test was very doable. I got them almost instantly but the rest...

Sad thing is I need a credit minimum to maintain my scholarship :( Pray for credit. Can I still get a credit with 50% lol?

I know a lot of people failed. If the average is 30%, will everyone's marks be scaled?

Last edited:

Priestolicious

HSC

I agree with the first part. 50% of the test was very doable. I got them almost instantly but the rest...

Sad thing is I need a credit minimum to maintain my scholarship :( Pray for credit. Can I still get a credit with 50% lol?

I know a lot of people failed. If the average is 30%, will everyone's marks be scaled?
If you did well in the quizzes and went well in the labs, you're pretty much guaranteed a distinction. How did your labs go?

sadpwner

HSC
N/A

If you did well in the quizzes and went well in the labs, you're pretty much guaranteed a distinction. How did your labs go?
70% average for quiz and 85% for labs

Though, 54% is my minimum guess mark. I can manage 65%+ if I get marks for the last page. I basically got everything on the last page but I think I fucked up the spring constant, which would cause all my other answers to be wrong. I wrote working out though. I'll change my original statement. Pray for working out marks.

Last edited:

Red_of_Head

HSC

70% average for quiz and 85% for labs

Though, 54% is my minimum guess mark. I can manage 65%+ if I get marks for the last page. I basically got everything on the last page but I think I fucked up the spring constant, which would cause all my other answers to be wrong. I wrote working out though. I'll change my original statement. Pray for working out marks.
From what I've heard, the markers for PHYS1121/1131 are pretty generous. You'll get marks for working out even if the values are wrong.

HSC
Uni Grad

What I did literally for physics 1a was that I rote-learned all of the past papers from 2007 onwards - even the midsems. Also did the tutorial Qs in between.

But that said I reckon they've changed the paper a bit and added some harder questions.

Hopefully if you get a supp, be able to pass it. The supp is harder than the final itself though. :(

D94

HSC
N/A

Are people forgetting about UF's?
These are so rare that it's not worth your time thinking about it - time is better spent studying. Anyway, the lecturer would have stressed early on if a component required passing in order to pass the course.

leehuan

HSC

Everyone on the UNSW discussion was complaining about how every six or so past papers they got had PV diagrams whereas this year there was a random black hole question.

Idk.

maysilees

HSC

What I did literally for physics 1a was that I rote-learned all of the past papers from 2007 onwards - even the midsems. Also did the tutorial Qs in between.

But that said I reckon they've changed the paper a bit and added some harder questions.

Hopefully if you get a supp, be able to pass it. The supp is harder than the final itself though. :(
HAHA yeah i did that and i learnt all the content too but like literally nothing would have gotten me thru that final exam!!!!! like omg

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC

For those who sat Phys1A, I don't know why you're stressing about not passing. Literally 50% of the final exam are gimme marks, like 0 effort at all. How have you gotten through all the labs without learning a single thing! Why didn't you ask your demos for halp or go to the duty tutor! Easy subjectttttttttttt
I hope you are being sarcastic... That exam was a piece of shit because it covered things that was not expected...

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC

I dont think it can get much harder...

D94

HSC
N/A

I hope you are being sarcastic... That exam was a piece of shit because it covered things that was not expected...
Unfortunate, but it's an exam, it's meant to test your grasp of the entire course, not your grasp of past papers or cherry-picked topics.

Today I sat an exam where far too many students simply relied on doing past papers, fully knowing but ignoring other parts of the course which could be examined. The first question, something that had never been examined before, 21 marks out of 100 simply gone for many students. This is 4th/5th year engineering.

ebbygoo

HSC

Lmfao went to bed at 11 to get a solid 7 hours sleep for an exam for the first time ever.

Woke up at 2 haven't been able to sleep since. Smh.

Flop21

HSC

Unfortunate, but it's an exam, it's meant to test your grasp of the entire course, not your grasp of past papers or cherry-picked topics.

Today I sat an exam where far too many students simply relied on doing past papers, fully knowing but ignoring other parts of the course which could be examined. The first question, something that had never been examined before, 21 marks out of 100 simply gone for many students. This is 4th/5th year engineering.
Guilty of this for math

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC

True... The things examined was in the course but was sort of a absurd example (deriving e=mc^2, i mean its relevant but its not something you would expect)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

bye bye first class honours

GG

well that was fun while it lasted

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

so phys 1a is a wam-killer? wb foundational physics (phys1111) if u know?
I don't know about foundational physics-I wouldn't say it is a wam killer as such since it was my highest mark in first sem-maybe because I spent way too much time on it because I was always scared of failing it. I think it is just me-because there was a lot more maths in physics than I expected coming from a HSC physics background and the online quizzes were very hard. Maybe someone who is much better at maths and say do engineering will find it a lot easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)