UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

Web Addict

HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

Pages printed in the wrong order, which matters when you're filling out your answers on the MC 'fill in the bubbles' sheet.

Being told by the exam supervisors to change one of the answers, which gives away that's the correct answer.

Errors in the formulae provided on the formulae sheet

Questions not having sufficient information to be answered and, hence, such lengthy information being read out by supervisors.

Several typos and mistakes in regard to grammar and expression.

Many answers not being correct e.g. says billion instead of million, wrong number of zeros
I love how they even managed to get the formula sheet wrong. LMAO

It was funny watching the exam supervisor struggling to read out the correct formula for the variance: "Um... Whatever that symbol is... Looks like a circle with a squiggle on top... Let's just call it an upside down Q."

leehuan

HSC

I love how they even managed to get the formula sheet wrong. LMAO

It was funny watching the exam supervisor struggling to read out the correct formula for the variance: "Um... Whatever that symbol is... Looks like a circle with a squiggle on top... Let's just call it an upside down Q."
They can't even recognise sigma?

Also you guys actually do variance in FINS?

kawaiipotato

HSC

Pages printed in the wrong order, which matters when you're filling out your answers on the MC 'fill in the bubbles' sheet.

Being told by the exam supervisors to change one of the answers, which gives away that's the correct answer.

Questions not having sufficient information to be answered and, hence, such lengthy information being read out by supervisors.

Many answers not being correct e.g. says billion instead of million, wrong number of zeros
As long as we answered it in the correct question order (as opposed to page number) it's correct right? lol

leehuan

HSC

I guess now I see why people say ACTL1101 is just FINS1613 on steroids...

Web Addict

HSC

They can't even recognise sigma?

Also you guys actually do variance in FINS?
The formulas for the standard deviation and variance are in a couple of the lecture slides, but we never ever used them. I've got no idea why they would include them in the formula sheet though.

HSC
Uni Grad

It's funny how they re-use the same questions over and over again for the following years, only to have mistakes in them over and over :p

mreditor16

HSC

BTW for all you actuarial kiddos and those of you considering actuarial in the future, bumped into this by chance just then:

Okay newbies I'll clear some stuff up.

I'm in my 3rd year in actuarial studies and I do enjoy it. I highly recommend against taking advice from anyone who hasn't given actuarial studies a go yet, there is a lot of misconceptions going around. Yes its hard, perhaps one of the most challenging courses in university so yes you do have to put in a lot of effort and also maintain a level of consistency. First year isn't so bad, you learn all the basic finance/economics/accounting stuff plus you touch a bit on actuarial studies.

On average the cohort starts 180-200 people, by the third year there's about 80-100 left. Fourth year is NOT compulsory (unless you do a double degree), there are certain courses that you may wish to do to grant you further actuarial qualifications. These courses have about ~50 people enrolled, but this does not mean 3/4 of the cohort has dropped out by then. A lot of them chooses to work for a while first (very useful for these courses), a lot of them find non-traditional actuarial jobs or even other finance related jobs (not necessarily because they can't find an actuarial job) and realises that they do not need the further qualifications. I'd say the true drop out rate, i.e. people found it too hard or failed and then quit, is 50% at best. Still high, but there is so little info on this career before university that most people choose it without thinking it through.

In all honesty it is hard, but not at the level that you'll die doing it. Most people get destroyed because they fall behind, and actuarial courses are not ones you can magically catch up 2-3 weeks before the exam. Consistency is the key if you want to do well, and by well I mean like 80+. It's all relative as well, average for a final in a course in second year was 40%, but that doesn't mean everyone fails. Think of 4U and the ridiculous scaling. I ended up with a 97 in that course, but I'll admit I studied a lot for that subject and I liked the content.

For me its not boring, but it definitely isn't for everyone. With good time management and hard work I kept my WAM hovering just under 90 and I'm not a genius or anything so it's doable.

If you have any other questions just PM me.

mreditor16

HSC

BTW in regard to FINS1613, just from the style/feel of the exam and the questions, I'm pretty sure our own LIC wrote it from scratch.

mreditor16

HSC

tfw you're leaving out significant chunks of course content from your ACTL2131 notes, cos you know its too complicated for you to even attempt learning

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

BTW for all you actuarial kiddos and those of you considering actuarial in the future, bumped into this by chance just then:
LOL I didn't know that guy used bos

but yeah he's legit

He graduated last week I think? We had a photo together and then I found out he and I will be work buddies next year <3

also he lied: he is a genius

leehuan

HSC

tfw you're leaving out significant chunks of course content from your ACTL2131 notes, cos you know its too complicated for you to even attempt learning
#math2931

ebbygoo

HSC

Wow chem1031 that was ridiculous length I got up to q9/14 wasn't even extremely hard but I just ran out of time smh
Made a rookie error doing questions in order and then ran out of time when last questions were ez smh

Flop21

HSC

Wow chem1031 that was ridiculous length I got up to q9/14 wasn't even extremely hard but I just ran out of time smh
Made a rookie error doing questions in order and then ran out of time when last questions were ez smh
what do you do for 10 mins reading time??

10 mins is so long, I always have plenty of time to skim through the paper and look at all the questions.

leehuan

HSC

10 mins is so long, I always have plenty of time to skim through the paper and look at all the questions.
Flip through the paper, scan through the questions, process an order to do the questions in, then spend the last 2/10min actually doing a few questions

But you could probably flip flop through the paper...

ebbygoo

HSC

Usually do all the MC during reading time but idk I got caught up in the MC and just never really flicked through the paper idk brain dysfunctions in exams lmao

Flop21

HSC

Usually do all the MC during reading time but idk I got caught up in the MC and just never really flicked through the paper idk brain dysfunctions in exams lmao
Oh well, at least you won't do the same thing next time.

photastic

HSC

Cry and hope there's enough tissue.

mreditor16

HSC

I always laugh when cheeky kiddos ask for a cup of water during the exam, as if the supervisor is a waiter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)