UNSW - How much to pay to get in? (1 Viewer)

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
uhawww said:
sorry, how do you plan to pass at uni if you don't have the time to get a decent HSC mark?

or are your circumstances going to be different by then?
I agree. Uni is much more fast-paced and subsequently "harder", If your struggling to get a 50UAI you might not be cut out for uni.

Consider TAFE/ Something Else?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Rekkusu said:
Personally I've never went into a situation where my marks weren't sufficient to get me into my 1st preference degree.

But I'll tell you what, many Year 12 students make the misconception that they'll get a UAI of 50. When Dec arrives, its a total shocker.

If you're basing your assumptions of a 50 UAI on your current school assessments (i.e. failing every single one, or having like the last rank for every subject), then I'd highly recommend you to:

1/ Go to Tafe (Do 1 year then achieve a good GPA, bounce into first year UNSW or Foundation Year UNSW).

2/ Re-Do HSC

3/ Go apply for the special programs like sibt (foundation year stuff) this is for MacQ Uni. And the UWS STAT test which lets you slot in if you've got a low UAI.

Yes UNSW still has DFEE places otherwise known as FFP places, but there's only a difference of 5 UAI points~ from the CSP places.

i.e. UNSW Medical Science in 05 had an 85 UAI CSP, but 80 UAI for DFEE.

Really though, its hard to fail the HSC unless if you really don't put any effort at all.
Your information is quite possibly only 3 years out of date.

According to the UAC Book 2009, there will be no DFEE places offered for UNSW courses (and those at other NSW unis) next year. This is pending a final decision, but it looks like the Federal Government are adamant. It has also been stated in the UNSW Law handbooks (and i assume, the other faculties now as well).

Re: Survivor. Apparently, the government will subsidise the bulk of the funds lost, but it has already been speculated in the media and on these forums that universities will compensate by enrolling more international (full fee) students. It will be a Brave New World next year :|

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Thanks bobness for the correction. You're quite right there.

This all becos of Rudd removing the DFEE places. However, I do need to stress that this doesn't apply to all degrees at all universities. Some courses such as Medicine still have DFEE/FFP places available.

Knowing universities though, they're all businesses, so without DFEE places they'll probably just make it heaps easy to get into foundation year, and create their own "special fee places".

I'm quite opposed to DFEEs for certain reasons, but of course, if you are rich enough, certain deals can be made under the table with the debt-stricken UNSW. Not that I'm aware of any :)

Governments can only intervene so much into the private sector.. :D Market-economies always win!

Wonder if they'll increase the number of CSP places then..

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
dont bother.
my cousin from overseas has tried to get into unsw as an international but her marks werent good enough.
what chance do you have?
try for a diploma.

uhawww said:
sorry, how do you plan to pass at uni if you don't have the time to get a decent HSC mark?

or are your circumstances going to be different by then?

theshortykatt said:
did you ever think about pathways? if it applys to sporting, then it should apply to you?
did you ever think about getting the fuck out of unsw lol?

Rock On

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
You can't get in with $$$ (if your UAI is that low). I know from experience and I happen to have a good reason with all the proof/evidence why I didn't get the end mark/s I should have. Yet the answer is still always NO. Sorry.

Last edited:

KD

HSC
N/A
Sorry, no chance at UNSW with that UAI.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
K guys, no need to beat that line to death. We get that he probably can't do well with that uai. No need to be mean and reiterate that over and over again. Help him, or just leave him alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)