• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW LAWS1001 (Crim1) Exam - A How-To-Pass Guide (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
as the title suggests. any ideas or tips, my learned friends? :)

please?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
If you turn up to any law exam decked out in a barristers robes and wig, you get an instant HD. However, if you are questioned by any staff, you must shout out 'OBJECTION!' and ignore them.

Don't tell anyone else, it's all very hush-hush.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
If you turn up to any law exam decked out in a barristers robes and wig, you get an instant HD.
haha, but of course.

the right to wear legal regalia is impliedly entrenched in the Constitution. :p

spell check

HSC
you've got 15 hours to do as many crimes as possible to find out how the system works

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
spell check said:
you've got 15 hours to do as many crimes as possible to find out how the system works
Commit them whilst wearing the robes for extra credit.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
how to pass... well let me think... how about STUDYING
thanks for that, mr obvious layperson.

perhaps then, you would like to highlight specific areas to which i should concentrate my study, and therefore, maximise the efficiency of my remaining time.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Frigid said:
thanks for that, mr obvious layperson.

perhaps then, you would like to highlight specific areas to which i should concentrate my study, and therefore, maximise the efficiency of my remaining time.
The areas you spent the most time on during lectures and tutorials and the areas that the lecturer has hinted may be important.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
The areas you spent the most time on during lectures and tutorials and the areas that the lecturer has hinted may be important.
all good and wholesome general advice (to hand out to anybody), but for the fact that:

1) the course coordinator suffered a heart-attack during the semester, so my class (no lectures in law) was combined together with his class, creating one mini-lecture thing.

2) sandra doesn't teach. she drones on outlining the book without anything in particular.

3) you have no idea because you haven't studied this course, or law for that matter.

so please, refrain from commenting in my thread unless you have something specific to the subject matter.

is a roflcopter
HSC
sandra is the boss
it would be quite scary to have her as a teacher

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Frigid said:
all good and wholesome general advice (to hand out to anybody), but for the fact that:

1) the course coordinator suffered a heart-attack during the semester, so my class (no lectures in law) was combined together with his class, creating one mini-lecture thing.

2) sandra doesn't teach. she drones on outlining the book without anything in particular.

3) you have no idea because you haven't studied this course, or law for that matter.

so please, refrain from commenting in my thread unless you have something specific to the subject matter.
oh somebody double crossed frig... :rolleyes:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've been told make sure you know the drugs offences well, and the mens rea for them, etc. He Kaw Teh is a given.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
I've been told make sure you know the drugs offences well, and the mens rea for them, etc. He Kaw Teh is a given.
only bloody problem is that but for the case extract in chapter 4, i haven't touched chapter 9. :(

i hope the compulsory question is general and nothing specific :(

CRIMINAL LAW 1 (LAWS 1001)
Information for End of Session Exam, Session 1, 2005

1. The end of session exam will be held during the formal end-of-session exam period and will be administered by the University. All students should check published notices as to timing and location of the exam, as well as rules governing conduct at the exam. Complying with University requirements is your responsibility.

2. The time allowed for the exam is 2.5 hours. There is an additional 10 minute reading time period in which you are not permitted to write anything.

3. In the paper, there will be 6 questions, divided unequally into Part A and Part B. Part A contains 5 essay questions in which you are asked to discuss a statement or quotation. You must choose ONE question only from Part A. Part B contains one compulsory problem/policy question in which you are asked to give advice on possible change in specific areas of criminal law or process. This examination does not include a conventional problem question, i.e. when a set of facts is presented and you are asked to apply the law to them.

4. The exam is worth 60% of the total marks for Criminal Law 1. Both questions are of equal value (i.e. each is worth 30% of the total marks for the course).

5. As in any examination, it is vital that you discuss the specific issues raised in each question, rather than just writing everything or anything about the general area.

6. As this is an open book exam, a significant degree of the material in your answer will come from the prescribed textbook or readings. In most cases you will not be expected to use any other sources in writing your answer. It is therefore not required that you acknowledge that the textbook or readings have been the primary source for the answer. However, if you quote from that material, or paraphrase it in any significant way, such use of the material must be clearly acknowledged and in the case of a quotation, acknowledged by the use of quotation marks. Similar considerations apply to any use of study notes prepared by other students. If you are found to have copied the notes of any other student without acknowledgement this will constitute plagiarism.

7. Copies of previous exam papers are available on the library catalogue. Note that the content of the 2005 exam will not necessarily be the same as those of previous years. However because a particular subject area has been covered recently does not mean that it will not be covered again. There are only a limited number of topic areas.

8. The exam will be open book. You are permitted to bring any printed or handwritten materials into the examination room. Underlining and annotation is permitted in notes and texts. The text is essential.

9. The examination potentially covers all the material studied in the course. Students are expected to have read all of Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 and 9 for the exam.

10. Only material covered in the Reading Guide and on the WebCT site: LAWS1001-General Information/Class Handouts/Supplementary Readings will be directly examinable, in the sense of being the potential focus or subject matter of any of the questions.

11. Mobile phones MAY NOT be brought into the examination room. Computers are NOT permitted.

12. Please make sure to answer each question in a separate booklet and print your teacher’s name and class day and time on the front of every answer booklet.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
The 2003 exam was worth 40%!
i'm pretti happi abt my assignment mark tho :)

if only i could get 51/60 in this assignment! :D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Try not to boast frigid....
fine tim, watch me fail :(

original: 52% => after sandra realised her 'error': 85%

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
That's some error!
no duress on my part :p
Dear Wen,
I have two students named Wen Wu in my classes. Only the middle name
differs
This was the source of my mistake. Your mark is 85% (HD) and your paper
can be collected from the office on the 10th floor later today.
Sorry
Sandra

PS I double checked the other student to make sure that he didn't
receive your HD in error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)