UNSW O-Week 2006 (1 Viewer)

andrew_q

HSC
Hi all!

Just as a general announcement for those that don't know, just before UNSW starts, there is a week of heaps of cool stuff to do. For those wondering what to expect in terms of the social aspect of university life at UNSW, particularly first years or those just starting out at UNSW, I highly recommend coming to O-Week at UNSW before semester 1 starts!

As a few examples of things to expect, in recent years, you could get up to watching movies, trivia, jumping castles, sumo wrestling, comedy night, and as always the thursday night party down at the Roundhouse!

<B>So... What exactly is O-Week?</B>

O-Week is an entire week of the UNSW year just for you. It helps new students to discover the campus, its community and the opportunities available for you to make the most out of your time at UNSW.

O-Week 2006 features a welcome from your School or Faculty, tours of the campus and library so you don't get lost, heaps of opportunities to meet people, and loads of freebies including your very own student diary.

Also during the day all of UNSW's 150+ clubs and societies will be out in force, so you can check out what they have to offer and join them. (For example, faculty societies, anime, sci-fi, movies, and sport societies such as rugby, tennis, badminton - the works!) We also have the biggest parties of the year featuring great live entertainment, both day and night.

<B>When is it?</B>

O-Week runs from <B>Monday February 20 to Friday February 24</B>, the week before classes start. We kick off around 9am and the big entertainment events go through until midnight or beyond on most nights. There will also be 140 friendly "Yellow Shirts" during O-Week who will be your official guides. These people aren't hard to spot - just look out for people in yellow shirts! (And yes, I'm one of them :))

These volunteers will answer any questions you may have about O-Week or uni, give tours of campus and run entertainment events. Feel free to ask Yellow Shirt if you need directions or would like to know more about events during O-Week.

For more information, and a timetable of events, please visit the O-Week website at http://www.oweek.info/

If you'd like to ask more questions fill free to post here or hopefully at the official O-Week forum at http://www.oweek.info/forums/. I'll be around as a Yellow Shirt so feel free to shoot me questions if you have any...

By the way, moderators, I briefly spoke to Minai about stickying this post if possible. Let me know if its a problem or not -

See you guys there!

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
Socially O-Week lets you meet new people and join society.

Geographically O-Week lets you to know where your classes are.

Biologically O-Week lets you know where the food outlets and toilets are.

Economically O-Week lets you know how expensive the foods are.

Generally O-Week is NOT a good time to get your ID card or line up for `the' diary.

Enjoy.

elfm

HSC
O-Week was mad fun last year :D

You get heaps of shitty free stuff that tends to be thrown around... but hey it's free. The tours are pretty good for meeting people you'll probably never talk to ever again, but hey they give you free condoms and drinks.

I definitely recommend going to the night functions, in particular the comedy night. If you haven't seen Will Anderson (or whoever might be playing this year) perform before, then this is your chance. The atmosphere was absolutely amazing last year. Packed roundhouse, drunken yobos, could smell the sweat of another man's armpits and the whole shebang.

All the while I have to attend summer school! woot.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
great, last year i was at oweek as a yellow shirt, this year ill be in hospital

raspberries

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Hey that guy in the photo on the site was in my grade ..

Definitely go to o-week to get a feel for the uni and to meet people.

And hey did anyone e-mail the student guild guy who called for volunteers in blitz at the end of last session? Got any info/replies yet?

gman03 said:

Generally O-Week is NOT a good time to get your ID card or line up for `the' diary.

Enjoy.
hahaha nice

Raginsheep

HSC
elfm said:
You get heaps of shitty free stuff that tends to be thrown around... but hey it's free. The tours are pretty good for meeting people you'll probably never talk to ever again, but hey they give you free condoms and drinks.
Glad to see the university looking out for us.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
O-Week was a whole tonne of fun. I spent most of it in the NUTS stall ;) But yeah, milk it for all it's worth, not just the day your free bbq is on :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Prospective first years: Make sure you go on them campus tours...if you're lonely its a good chance to make friends

Quan...can I go on your tour?

andrew_q

HSC
Minai said:
Prospective first years: Make sure you go on them campus tours...if you're lonely its a good chance to make friends

Quan...can I go on your tour?
Haha. Sure mate go for it - I'll try to do my best and include as many random fact as possible... like campus myths and stuff.

Oh and thanks for the sticky :)

Originally Posted by gman03

Enjoy.
Nice indeed. - did you do that yourself, ever so true!

Raginsheep

HSC
When's a good time for us new students to get our ID cards and diary?

andrew_q

HSC
I'm thinking anytime between Jan the 16th and O-Week. Personally I find its better to get it quickly and go - as supposed to lining up for yonks, mind you I have met quite a few interesting people in the line.

Even the guy who gave me my first card lived in near me and had a girlfriend which lived 2 streets away from me. How bizarre.

Anyways, I'd probably get it within the first couple of weeks. I'm getting old(er) and my knees will probably give in - I stand up enough in retail as it is.

-Andrew

elfm

HSC
andrew_q said:
Haha. Sure mate go for it - I'll try to do my best and include as many random fact as possible... like campus myths and stuff.
heh, be sure to include the retarded sun dial, the missing bell on top of it, the round shaped thing that some engineering student broke at the library lawn :p they always generate conversation

andrew_q

HSC
elfm said:
heh, be sure to include the retarded sun dial, the missing bell on top of it, the round shaped thing that some engineering student broke at the library lawn :p they always generate conversation
Good point - stir a little commotion :)

doctordev

HSC
Hi there. I am coming in next month around 16th Feb latest. I just wanted to know how much of a financial setback does the O-week cause for us freshies? thanks

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
doctordev said:
Hi there. I am coming in next month around 16th Feb latest. I just wanted to know how much of a financial setback does the O-week cause for us freshies? thanks
O-Week is free for UNSW students.

salubrious

HSC
N/A
hey andrew, you're from beverly hills. i live in manhattan beach and am heading for UNSW by Feb 17th or so. just wondering if you know anyone who needs a housemate to live in an apartment in the randwick area???

gman03

HSC
salubrious said:
hey andrew, you're from beverly hills. i live in manhattan beach and am heading for UNSW by Feb 17th or so. just wondering if you know anyone who needs a housemate to live in an apartment in the randwick area???
also there is a place in the uni where you can find accomodation in randwick area. I forgot what it's called, but it is near the quad

andrew_q

HSC
redslert said:
O-Week is free for UNSW students.
Yep! Free!

Apart from the transportation costs, it will cost nothing to experience most things, except maybe if you want to join a society or club. Some clubs/societies are free (I believe Commerce was) but some need a membership fee... at most I'd say 10 to 15 bucks for membership for the whole year.

Originally Posted by salubrious
There are quite a few places to rent out in the randwick/kensington area - I normally see adds plastered on the advertisement walls looking for housemates. Rather cheap too -

Personally, I don't know of anyone who needs a housemate just yet - try posting on our O-Week forums ) to see if anyone there has an availability or some advice to finding accomodation? (Sorry about advertising another forum on this forum, but it is related and it is an official O-Week site).

There are a hundred or so yellow shirts that may have a much better answer than me :) And they are just itching to answer any question you may have about UNSW!

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I'd say go to the Housing Office, it's at uni in Basser College... a bit hard to get to but they can help you find local housing around UNSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)