UNSW or USYD (1 Viewer)

ademayd

HSC
i know that it is probably not possible 2 fully compare, but for those of you that went to both the opendays and those who have friends doing similiar courses or whatever may be of some help...

which uni is better, primarily in the field of eco or commerce; secondarily demographics, building apparel, proximity, library .... and so on.

University of Sydney OR University of New South Wales ??? (thnx in advance)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I have been to Sydney for 3 days as part of the Gifted and Talented Science Program.

The university is really awesome. I can feel the greatness in its architecture~

But I won't be going there...I don't think....

Same with UNSW.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
FUCK MAN. just go to the one thats easier to get to. they are both wonderful, state of the art unis. no employers would give a fuck which one you went to aslong as you had the grades.

mods, please close this thread.

/end

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
I have been to Sydney for 3 days as part of the Gifted and Talented Science Program.

The university is really awesome. I can feel the greatness in its architecture~

But I won't be going there...I don't think....

Same with UNSW.
where will you be going, namu.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
UNSW sucks. Too many things wrong with it. NFI if Sydney is any better, haven't been, but I hate UNSW and if not for the 'prestige' I would have thought it'd a terrible uni.

To list a few:
* 12week semester with barely any work cut out from 14week version. Led to movement away from midsems to 'inclass quizzes' every other bloody week. More time being assessed, less time being taught.
* Incompetent lecturers who recycle exam papers giving certain people unfair advantages, releasing notes with far too many errors given the fact most courses haven't changed substantially in years
* Arrogant lecturers who not only refuse to have their lectures recorded but make a point about only disclosing information etc. worked examples etc. CORRECTIONS etc. in lectures because they take offense to people not turning. Less policing, more freedom of choice.
* Too many foreign students that don't care about uni
* Nowhere near enough quiet study space given the student population. I can't imagine how things were before the new law library.
* More annoying to get to than other unis
* Very mixed bag of tutors

If I was a full-timer with my knowledge now I would be willing to give USyd a shot.

I'm not even trying to troll or anything. I was the most enthusiastic about enjoying uni, studying well, etc. and I've become extremely bitter. BL2me I guess.

This comparison is only relevant for UNSW vs SYD because I'd still take either of the two over any other in NSW... But that's me.... :-/

Last edited:

Descendia

HSC
I'm at Usyd and Commerce sucks here. Mixed bag of lecturers and tutors (primarily bad ones), too many international students, crappy courses with only a few relevant/good ones thrown in.

That said, I'm still glad I'm at Usyd and not UNSW.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Hard to see which is better, most replies are going to be biased towards their university (like mine will be).

In terms of recognition they are both pretty much on par, USYD has a slightly higher global rep according to a few different ranking systems. However, UNSW has been rated the best uni for Business and Law for the past few years and the Accounting Faculty is rated as one of the top in the world in research.

USYD, split campus while UNSW you trek uphill - stairs aren't made for unfit people like myself.

I'd agree with what Vegabond said on a lot of the points, the lecturers on the whole are rather pathetic. With that said there have been some really great lecturers and tutors too, but then tend to be a rare commodity. While I can't personally comment on the quality of teaching at USYD, my friends say that the lecturers/tutors are no better.

12 week semesters suck, though I do like the longer holiday... but yes they suck!

As others have said, doesn't really matter which one you go to.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
where will you be going, namu.
University outside Australia perhaps? If not, I will be attending Macquarie.

Monstar

HSC
randomguy777 said:
why are people complaining about their unis? i go to Macq and i thought it kinda sucked, and assumed perhaps other unis had better experience.
then it must be that usyd and unsw are overrated + hyped up.

here's what i feel at uni:
1. too many international students
2.since so many asian int students, uni wants to rip them off and make money.
3.some white lecturers are racist and they want to fail courses with too many asians.
4. to me almost every tutor is crap, worse than every preschool teacher, even i could teach better.

to sum up: dont do commerce,business related courses.

do something like: psychology,optometry,maybe med science,pharmacy and engineering.
TRUE QUOTE IS TRUE

sarevok

HSC
I've studied Commerce at both and liked both (was at USYD for one year before transferring...). I'm going to disagree with some others in this thread in that I have found the quality of teaching in the Commerce faculty at UNSW generally excellent. At USYD the teaching was also good, except for my introductory Micro/Macro lecturers and tutors who were pathetic.
In terms of campus life, I would say USYD is more vibrant but UNSW has a nice laidback feel to the campus. I'm baffled by the complaints about UNSW's international students because the international students I've encountered have been very nice. USYD Commerce has a lot of internationals too anyway.

randomguy777

HSC
N/A
well if i were to do a survey of all the commerce students, im sure most students wouldn't be satisfied with the teaching content. in other words after completing each subject, students would have wanted to learn something more whether it be more practical or theoretical.

a lot of stuff they teach at uni in commerce can really be useless. you can stay at home and study textbook. uni is just a money making institution who don't give a damn how you feel.

as long as the uni's research department continues to boost rankings, more and more international students will be pouring money into the piggybanks.

look at unsw's semester period now, they're reduced and its obvious they want to reduce contact hours and hence cut costs.(spend more money in new buildings).

as for international students there's two types.
1.the one who graduated high school in australia(no problem)
2.the one from overseas who is non social to local students + only hangs around the same ethnicity +speaks poor english + only talks to other international in their own language. (they tend to look more ugly + wear glasses and never smile).

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
How awesome is Commerce (Liberal Studies) aye?
Jeff (sarevok) IIRC, did not really like it all that much, as he wanted/s to do more specific history studies later on after he graduated.

Just a stepping stone to do Commerce / Law (i have two friends in that same boat at present over at USYD).

Only awesome characters like stas, are able to make the most of the degree's flexibility :p

HI JEFF :wave:

billbro

HSC
N/A
randomguy777 said:
(they tend to look more ugly + wear glasses and never smile).
Sounds like me... wears glasses, doesn't smile =[

Can't say I've had the best experience with International Students when it comes to group assessments though :burn:

ademayd

HSC
i find the comments about the uni not mattering really weird... afterall at least 3 yrs of your life will be spent there. and if you are planning on doing a fullpack of postgrads like i am, i think it will matter heaps; SO thanks guys for your advice...

it also sux to hear that intro macro and micro lecturers cant teach, coz i plan on doing economics.....

nd WOW is intnl studs. really such a problem?:confused: im gettin scared

(1 mor sub question, dis ones abit more niche i guess; actuarial studies or economics. PS. app actuarial isnt offered in usyd)

ademayd

HSC
:rolleyes: i will really appreciate any advice coz only a few daiz left till preferences close. [sorry 4 double posting]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)