UNSW Rural Engineering Scholarship (1 Viewer)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
So I got an offer for an interview... Just curious if anyone else got an offer as well.
Come and say hey on Nov 25. Dat rural school pride man!!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So I got an offer for an interview... Just curious if anyone else got an offer as well.
Come and say hey on Nov 25. Dat rural school pride man!!
I don't get it. I had a really great application and I was sure to get an interview. But, I got declined :/.
Oh well. Good luck mate!

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't get it. I had a really great application and I was sure to get an interview. But, I got declined :/.
Oh well. Good luck mate!
Did you get an ATAR prediction of 99+ and/or are you ranked like top 5 in most of your subjects?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I was ranked first in 3 subjects, second in one, third in my other two. The school isn't supposed to tell you the predicted ATAR.

In my application, I put my personal prediction as 85-97, because the marks of different cohorts in my year are very volatile.

And I have heaps of co-curricular activities and massive leadership involvements. Just don't know what went wrong I guess.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
From my observations, you will want your school to estimate you as 98-99+, and especially as a personal prediction, to be over 91 for Rural and 96 for Co-op. Saying you might get 85 means you may not meet the academic requirement which doesn't look good on these applications.

There may be opportunities to apply during your time at uni (should you decide to go to UNSW) if a spot becomes available, so don't slack on the academic side of things and keep up your co-curriculars.

Also, I know for a fact that finding sponsor companies is harder than it was say 3-4 years ago. I think for the Rural scholarship, there's 20 on offer but that's already as large as the group of Co-op scholars (for engineering). Unfortunately for you, the scholarship office believes there are better applicants than you and the many hundreds that applied.

Last edited:

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I think for the Rural scholarship, there's 20 on offer but that's already as large as the group of Co-op scholars. Unfortunately for you, the scholarship office believes there are better applicants than you and the many hundreds that applied.
I wonder how many people will be interviewed for the Rural Scholarship I only went for the Rural stuff, because honestly I wouldn't cut Co-op with the intense competition and ATAR's.
I had to cancel my schoolies trip for this interview that said I'm keen and greatful for the opportunity so fingers crossed.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
From my observations, you will want your school to estimate you as 98-99+, and especially as a personal prediction, to be over 91 for Rural and 96 for Co-op. Saying you might get 85 means you may not meet the academic requirement which doesn't look good on these applications.
Fair enough. That was kind of out of my control, so there is not much I could do really. And I'm not going to lie on the application. A guy in my school was expected to get 95+ and ends up with an 80.
Hopefully I can get an interview for the other cadet-ship type scholarships at UNSW. And I'm not a rural student, just general Co-op.

Oh well, at least now I can accept an offer to the BE ME Elec Eng, provided that I get the ATAR requirement.
After doing the HSC exams, I'm estimating I may get a 93 ATAR. So maybe Co-op was out of reach any way.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
For the 2013 cohort, there appears to be no Electrical Engineering Co-op scholars. It's possible they couldn't find any sponsors so obviously no interviews for those who electrical engineering applicants.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
For the 2013 cohort, there appears to be no Electrical Engineering Co-op scholars. It's possible they couldn't find any sponsors so obviously no interviews for those who electrical engineering applicants.
Wow. At the time of submitting my application, I was still unsure and had Chemical and Mechanical as well.
I think now there's a 70% chance I will do electrical.

Also, I read in a FAQ booklet from the elec/telecom school that someone got into Co-op with a 95.7
I'm guessing maybe they had EAS.

Are you 100% sure though? I spoke to an electrical co-op student for 2013 first year. I'll pm you the name.
http://www.coop.unsw.edu.au/industry_sponsors/whos_sponsoring/index-list.html#17

D94

HSC
N/A
Also, I read in a FAQ booklet from the elec/telecom school that someone got into Co-op with a 95.7
I'm guessing maybe they had EAS.
Possibly with EAS, not sure.

Are you 100% sure though? I spoke to an electrical co-op student for 2013 first year. I'll pm you the name.
http://www.coop.unsw.edu.au/industry_sponsors/whos_sponsoring/index-list.html#17
So that person is the 2012 starting scholar. The list of sponsors is for all elec eng scholars since I think 2009, but it doesn't necessarily mean a company was able to sponsor for 2013.

What I meant before was that no one in 2013 was offered a scholarship.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Possibly with EAS, not sure.

What I meant before was that no one in 2013 was offered a scholarship.
Wow. Hopefully for my cohort a fair few get accepted and if they drop-out, there will be an opportunity for me.

Then again, there are a few 3rd year cadet-ships for the top achievers in elec eng, which are actually within the fields I want to lead into for work after uni.

Thanks for your time mate. Really appreciated.

Reactions: D94

twelsh

HSC
Just interested to see if anyone on here got offered a scholarship?

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm skeptical if I can get 91 though, oh well not long to wait now I guess

twelsh

HSC
Congrats dude, what for? I got offered one as well. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Mine is for Electrical Engineering and the Masters of Biomedical if I decide to go for that as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)