it's definitely not worth doing any of those just to do MATH2301

thanks for the replies anyway

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Out of these: MATH1031, MATH1231, MATH1241 and MATH1251
which is the least difficult?
you need to do 1131/1141/1151 before you can do the others, so MATH1031 would be best for you (and to answer your question it's the least difficult)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
lol fuck after looking in the hand book
it's definitely not worth doing any of those just to do MATH2301

thanks for the replies anyway
I think you'd find MATH1041 somewhat interesting and useful. Admittedly though, I'm not sure if it fits well with what the handbook suggests.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
ARTS1660, ARTS1810, MGMT1101 and MGMT2101?

Also wondering which is the most difficult there?

tagitables

HSC
N/A
If any of you have done GMAT1110 and/or CVEN1300 can you please give your insight?

edit: nvm found a detailed post about it.
Hi. I'm looking into GMAT1110 as well. Can you send me the link of the detailed post? Thanks.

primalchaos3

HSC
Uni Grad
Yo peeps im doing fins1613.
The first lec was okay but already it seems like the maths is going to be hard. how hard is it really? there are alot of conflicting views about the difficulty of its maths. also i'd rather do more memorising like in fins1612 (APPARENTLY). and if i were to swap, just wondering if you know if its also a multiple choice based subject (lol...).
so yeah cos im not too good at maths but i did averagely in 2unit maths and also if i were to swap subjects i'd need to do it fast!

aceofspades1

HSC
Some subject reviews from 2011

ECON2101 (Microeconomics 2)

Ease: Depends. First few weeks were 10/10 but by the end, it was 5-6/10. But if you did the work, it wasn't too bad.
Content: Stuff on budget constraint (which was easy), Utility, Profit Maximisation, Cost Minimisation, Demand, Supply, Monopoly and the last week was I think oligopoly. Pretty vital stuff. Again, first few weeks was pretty easy, but by the end, it started to get real hard, but if you put the work in, it gets easier.
Lecturers: Guillaume Roger: 5.5/10 (Although that's probably being a tad generous). Taught the first half of the course. If you can get past his French accent, he's not too bad. Paul Pezanis-Christou: Not even worthy of a rating. Long story short, he should stick to research.
Overall: 4/10. Didn't like the course but there's some vital stuff involved.

LEGT2741 (Business Entities)

Ease: 5/10. Admittedly I did next to no work during the semester
Content: 5/10. Content's pretty boring. However I did find the stuff of administration and liquidation quite interesting.
Lecturer: Anil Hargovan-6.5/10. Did have some insightful things to say, mentioned some relevant and ongoing sort of stuff
Overall: 3/10. My tutor sort of killed my interest in the course and I guess that's why I didn't do my work in the course (and subsequently just passed)

FINS1613 (Business Finance)

Ease: 10/10. If you did ECON1202 before taking up FINS1613, some concepts will overlap.
Content: 10/10. Some interesting and vital financial concepts to consider, such as NPV, IRR, WACC etc. Does help if you have a sound mathematical skills.
Lecturers: There were 3 of them, Xiangping You, Robert Tumarkin and Kyung Shim. 10/10 for all of them.
Overall: 10/10. Enough said.

primalchaos3

HSC
Uni Grad
Content: 10/10. Some interesting and vital financial concepts to consider, such as NPV, IRR, WACC etc. Does help if you have a sound mathematical skills.
Just briefly, what type of maths is done (if you remember)? Would you have to have done like 3/4 unit maths in hsc? :/
I'm just average at maths and am tossing up whether to swap the subject or not..................... fml

aceofspades1

HSC
Some subject reviews from 2011

ECON2101 (Microeconomics 2)

Ease: Depends. First few weeks were 10/10 but by the end, it was 5-6/10. But if you did the work, it wasn't too bad.
Content: Stuff on budget constraint (which was easy), Utility, Profit Maximisation, Cost Minimisation, Demand, Supply, Monopoly and the last week was I think oligopoly. Pretty vital stuff. Again, first few weeks was pretty easy, but by the end, it started to get real hard, but if you put the work in, it gets easier.
Lecturers: Guillaume Roger: 5.5/10 (Although that's probably being a tad generous). Taught the first half of the course. If you can get past his French accent, he's not too bad. Paul Pezanis-Christou: Not even worthy of a rating. Long story short, he should stick to research.
Overall: 4/10. Didn't like the course but there's some vital stuff involved.

LEGT2741 (Business Entities)

Ease: 5/10. Admittedly I did next to no work during the semester
Content: 5/10. Content's pretty boring. However I did find the stuff of administration and liquidation quite interesting.
Lecturer: Anil Hargovan-6.5/10. Did have some insightful things to say, mentioned some relevant and ongoing sort of stuff
Overall: 3/10. My tutor sort of killed my interest in the course and I guess that's why I didn't do my work in the course (and subsequently just passed)

FINS1613 (Business Finance)

Ease: 10/10. If you did ECON1202 before taking up FINS1613, some concepts will overlap.
Lecturers: There were 3 of them, Xiangping You, Robert Tumarkin and Kyung Shim. 10/10 for all of them.
Overall: 10/10. Enough said.

Oh and by the way, Peter Anderson is a mad tutor for FINS1613!

Last edited:

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Just briefly, what type of maths is done (if you remember)? Would you have to have done like 3/4 unit maths in hsc? :/
I'm just average at maths and am tossing up whether to swap the subject or not..................... fml
the maths is easy...understanding the concepts, that's another story. personally, I found the end of the course a bit hard to understand but it wasn't too bad :)

aceofspades1

HSC
2U maths is fine. The first few weeks, present value, future value, ordinary annuity and annuity due are pretty straight forward once you get your head around it. Make sure to master it and remember all the formulas (and how to rearrange them). Bonds are also straight forward. The last few weeks get a tad tricky, but if you master everything else beforehand, you should be taking good marks into the final. Most people I knew were taking almost 100% into the final.

HSC
Uni Grad
Here I go, I'll write my subject reviews right now:

ACCT1501 (Financial Accounting and Management 1A):

Ease: 7/10. Even if you understand the concepts, just practice effectively and make sure you're solid with your concepts. Silly mistakes can result in lots of marks deducted. Apart from that, it's a rote-learn subject with barely any understanding required.
Content: 8/10. Content seems more related to the work; i.e. understanding how the B/S works and applying the concepts, as well as doing journal entries, which is relevant to the work world if you're planning to manage your own business. However, as I said, it's a rote-learn no brainer subject with an emphasis on accuracy so if you make sillies, chances are you'll lose a lot of marks.
Lecturer: Week 1-4 -> Youngdeok Lim -> 5/10. Was on topic with his concepts; just very monotonic and hard to concentrate to. Tami Dinh Thi -> 6/10. Slightly better. Explanations are decent but not much engagement. Finished 15 min early though. Jeffrey Knapp -> 4/10. Good comedian, but can't really lecture as he goes off topic a lot and rushes through the lecture slides when running out of time. Heard he's a good tutor though.
Interest: 1/10. Hated the subject, made so many silly errors even though I understood the concepts. :S
Overall: 3/10. I didn't like the course and I'm trying not to take ACCT1511 by putting it off until 3rd year 2nd sem or dropping actuarial and not taking it at all. My tutor was a bitch on homework. I personally didn't find the course that easy though, but as for others, they found it easy.

ARTS2450 (Intermediate Chinese A):

Ease: 9/10. The first few weeks involved a lot of stuff I knew before, from what I learned in Chinese school. I heard that if you had taken HSC Chinese Continuers or Chinese Heritage, then Intermediate Chinese A will be a piece of cake for you. Apart from that, learning the stuff isn't so hard; the mid-sem exams can be rote-learned by just doing the stuff in the textbook and remembering how to do those examples and that's pretty much it. Group presentation counts for 30%, so I had to try and make sure I did well in that.
Content: 8/10. Content required a lot of memorization, but it wasn't too bad. Some of the stuff required a bit of research, especially in the culture section (it is examinable in the mid-sem and finals).
Lecturer: 1/10. Shit lecturer who was just blabbing on about stuff and not paying much attention to the students needs. Can't believe we even have to write down our attendance for the lectures now, only coz she's worried that more ppl are jigging her lectures. Well there's a reason why everyone is jigging her lectures anyway.
Interest: 8/10. I liked the content. Seemed very nice going back to the stuff that I knew before but I forgot how to do.
Overall: 8/10. Like the content, doesn't seem too hard for me though. I didn't quite like my tutor though, as she didn't engage the class that much. But hopefully this will boost my WAM :)

ECON1101 (Microeconomics 1):

Ease: 9/10. It's not that hard if you study tbh. The concepts are easy and pretty straightforward to understand.
Content: 9/10 Pretty easy stuff, very linked to the Asian stereotype, which I would find interesting as well.
Lecturer: Peter Nichols -> 8/10. Good teaching, very clear with what he is saying, although can get a bit boring. Alberto Motta -> 8/10. Decent teaching and a great comedian too. Love how he uses his tablet PC to draw stuff around. Had a lot of fun in his lectures (Y)
Interest: 9/10. Very interesting subject for sure.
Overall: 9/10. What let it down was because of the harsh EDU marking for the first assessment task; had to attend a microeconomics workshop as a result.

MATH1151 (Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1A):

Ease: 6/10. It's not that easy as a subject. Concepts are quite hard to understand, but if you study then you shouldn't feel too bad.
Content: 8/10. Some of the lecture slides and topics may need a bit more explanation as to how stuff works, and a bit more solutions. They should write up more solutions for some of the questions skipped in the notes. Nevertheless, pretty interesting content there.
Lecturer: Robert Womersley -> 8/10. Good teaching, clear with his concepts, although can be a bit boring. Loved his joke on sports commentators: "Why are sports commentators so bad at probability? It's because they keep saying they give 110% effort when there is no such thing as 110%". Thanh Tran -> 9.5/10. LOVED him as a lecturer, especially with his heavy Vietnamese accent that kept me awake; "Fangktion", "co-domain" and "troublemaker" made me and the rest of the people in the lecture laugh. He's good at explaining concepts as well, so you might enjoy him.
Interest: 8/10. Interesting subject as I should say, especially with calculus. Not so much with algebra though.
Overall: 8.5/10. Some class tests may be a bit troll though :S My calculus tutor was lazy. Nevertheless, I think this course is arguably one of the better taught courses at UNSW.

Last edited:

Tortilla

HSC
N/A
ACCT1501 (Financial Accounting and Management 1A):

Ease: 9/10 .Not Hard If You Learn Material. It builds upon stuff that is learnt in previous weeks so its continual revision.
Content: 9/10. I Thought it was pretty interesting. each to their own though
Lecturer: 5/10. Youngdeok was hard to understand, Jeffery Tries hard, humorous at times, Tami at least spoke clearly.
Overall: 8/10

Microeconomics ECON1101

Ease: 8/10, if you do the work you will be fine
Content: 9/10, very interesting at times.
Lecturers: 6.5/10,
Overall: 7.5/10

Econ1203:

Ease: 8-9/10. Past papers are really similar
Content: 8/10, some of the stuff was relevant or at least somewhat interesting
Lecturer: 7/10

MGMT1001

Ease: 7/10. Time drainer
Content: 0/10
Lecturer: Bernard Gan was awesome 8/10.
Overall: Shit course

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol looks like jeffery knapp hasn't changed since when he taught us consolidation. I did like his example of one pocket to another pocket and how an external shareholder doesn't care which pocket something was in. Other Han that he went off topic alot but was enjoyable I suppose.

W

Wealth

MGMT1001

Ease: 7/10. Time drainer
Content: 0/10
Lecturer: Bernard Gan was awesome 8/10.
Overall: Shit course
No surprise there.

I had "Dr B" for the lecturer in charge for sem 2 2011.

He set a shit final exam. He's a jerk. His lectures were engaging, but they didn'tyou what you needed for the exam.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
ECON2101: Microeconomics 2;
Ease: 5/10 you really need consistent effort, and a genuine interest in the content to succeed.
Content: 7/10 It kind of repeats itself with the optimisation, but it's still good nonetheless
Lecturer: 6/10
Overall: 6.5/10 It's not like micro 1, you can just turn up and get 70+

FINS2624: Portfolio Management;
Ease: 7/10 If you stay upto date it's not too bad, some of the theories get a bit tedious, but the maths is straight forward.
Content: 7/10 Some interesting things to learn, seems like it'll be very useful.
Lecture: 8/10Both lecturers were great, Joakim is fantastic, Sid went pretty quick, but still got the messgae through well.
Overall: 7.5/10 It's compulsury for finance, but yeh not too bad.

FINS3616: International Business Finance;
Ease: 5/10 Very time consuming subject, lots of reading, some difficult concepts.
Content: 5/10 Pretty boring, and monotonous. Very useful though.
Lecturer: 7/10 Pretty engaging lecturer who explains well, and has a real passion for what he's teaching, which helps.
Overall:5/10

ECON1203: Business and Economics Statistics;
Ease: 8/10 I guess this would have been higher if I'd done the reading/hw/studied before 2 nights before the final.
Content: 7/10 Very useful.
Lecturer: 6/10 I had the Spanish lady with ADHD, she's ok, a bit hard to follow.
Overall: 7.5/10

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
ECON1102: Macroeconomics 1
Ease: 7.5/10 It's hard but once you get your head around about Keynsian economics theory it get's pretty simple since all the importanat bits are from there.
Content: 9/10 I found the content to be very interesting and it's also got more mathematics behind it than micro.
Lecturer: No idea, didn't go to a single one lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)