UNSW Uni fees arent so high (1 Viewer)

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know that girl on exchange from the US doing 3rd year finance/ first year maths1151?
She told me yesterday commerce fees at her uni (?Rochester) is like US$45k/year for 4 years!?!?:spzz: I never even heard of Rochester. Imagine leaving uni with a US180k debt, (in this economic climate)
Now that I think about it, UNSW’s 22k/year seems like a real bargain, and only goes for 3 years. **me stops complaining about the fees**
Would anyone here still go to unsw if Hecs was scrapped and our fees doubled to 45k?

i think i would just go to UWS or do some online course and try to HD the course. does brand really matter? If i had to visit a different Doctor, i dont think i would really care if he trained in the samoan oceanic university nor UNSW.

** no offence intended to the UWS/online courses/samoan people**

Last edited:

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I retain a moral that all physicians whom attend to me are trained in Somalia.

L

quit bos forever 23/01/07
Under the Tuscan Sun, as per usual, fuckan tearin
HSC
N/A
first of all

how do you pay 22k/year.. what degree is that

second of all

we must thank the (shithouse)international students and their inability to speak or write english properly
because the university system will continue to beat them down, repeating subjects etc more money for cheaper education

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
first of all

how do you pay 22k/year.. what degree is that

second of all

we must thank the (shithouse)international students and their inability to speak or write english properly
because the university system will continue to beat them down, repeating subjects etc more money for cheaper education
if you meant by which method i pay? i pay by way of credit card.
if you meant; WHY is that 20K+, i mistakenly assumed it was same as last years fees. but NSW fees have obviously gone up this year to $540/credit point. for me (commerce), each year is 8 subjects x 6 credit points x $540, minus a discount for paying upfront. so just under 25k

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/fees/CommerceEconomics2.html

I'm not RICH by any means, but i still think $25k is a good price to pay for a good education, considering some ppl in my class went to highschool paying 20k/year

i agree that locals probably would be paying more if USNW didnt have all the international students.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Would anyone here still go to unsw if Hecs was scrapped and our fees doubled to 45k?

i think i would just go to UWS or do some online course and try to HD the course. does brand really matter? If i had to visit a different Doctor, i dont think i would really care if he trained in the samoan oceanic university nor UNSW.
I'd still go to UNSW if HECS was scrapped and our fees doubled considering I'm not even on HECS as an international bank pays for most of my tertiary education and my father pays the rest.

Then again, brand matters because if that weren't the case, my father would've stayed at his oceanic university in Fiji and not have bothered studying commerce at UNSW if his future workplace didn't care about decent and also internationally recognised qualifications.

I see the point of what you're saying but think about it. Unfortunately, we'd all like to think that the employment world is based on unbiased employment judgments, fairness and equality but obviously its not. There are always exceptions but then again, it depends on who you are and also your occupation.

Basically at the end of the day, brand does matter because if it didn't, university ranking guides wouldn't exist and it would be more difficult for employers to try to distinguish between different university graduates.

undalay

HSC
What?

If you're on a commonwealth sponsered place (which all new australian uni entrants now are) then:

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/fees/StudentContribution2.html

In 2009,

education, nursing, mathematics#, statistics#,
science# (commencing 2009 students only)
only costs $4162 per 48 credit points

The highest are med and law and those are only around 8k per year.

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
oh ok.
that then explains why help fee wasnt offered by usnw for this years entrance.

i started last year, so i'm a full fee domestic. (my GPA was too low, and didnt have the marks to get into CSP)

i can understand why med fees are so high because they need the morgue, clinical placements, hospital facilities, teaching equipment..... but law??? hahahaha, i think law has got to be one of the most easily administered courses available. but maybe its due to the high salaries law lecturers demand? who knows.

dont know anything about engineering but i think it surely has got to be more expensive to run an engineering course than a law course?

miaowsha

HSC
Does anyone know that girl on exchange from the US doing 3rd year finance/ first year maths1151?
She told me yesterday commerce fees at her uni (?Rochester) is like US$45k/year for 4 years!?!?:spzz: I never even heard of Rochester. Imagine leaving uni with a US180k debt, (in this economic climate)
Now that I think about it, UNSW’s 22k/year seems like a real bargain, and only goes for 3 years. **me stops complaining about the fees**

** no offence intended to the UWS/online courses/samoan people**
I doubt you would cause offence to UWS students in the UNSW forum.

Brand matters in the sense of credibility. We know that UNSW medicine is good. Do we know if the Samoan Oceanic University medical faculty is good? I sure as hell don't, I'd MUCH rather go to a doctor trained from UNSW. Not that degree even matters too much after your first job, it's experience which matters anyway.

As for the uni fees; provided that you will get a job you will not only be paying back your hecs, but I'm sure you will more than double your uni fees in not too long a time via tax.

oh ok.
that then explains why help fee wasnt offered by usnw for this years entrance.

i started last year, so i'm a full fee domestic. (my GPA was too low, and didnt have the marks to get into CSP)

i can understand why med fees are so high because they need the morgue, clinical placements, hospital facilities, teaching equipment..... but law??? hahahaha, i think law has got to be one of the most easily administered courses available. but maybe its due to the high salaries law lecturers demand? who knows.

dont know anything about engineering but i think it surely has got to be more expensive to run an engineering course than a law course?
As for the statement about how cheap law must be to teach, you can really see why your GPA was too low to get in as a CSP student.

People who have law degrees (and often more to teach it) can obviously get high-paying jobs for example in a law firm etc. UNSW (and other universities who want to teach law well) must compete with their salaries; of course uni fees are going to be high. Also, do you have any idea how much writing and reading is required in law? How many hours of teaching it also requires? How much certain guest speakers and such cost? Sure, the costs may not be for something physical like a clinical placement etc but hiring a top-shot barrister to come speak to some law students, take some time out of their high-paying day to do this would cost a hell of a lot of money. UNSW wants the best; getting the best costs money.

LOL at domestic full fee paying though, seriously. My heart goes out to some of the struggling international students out there who have a language barrier and still pwn your arse. You're a local. What stopped you from not smoking pot/doing drugs/being a loser and actually doing your work? (Here, all you need to do to get into uni is do your work or even less if you have any talent naturally... Yes, I'd know, I'm at uni).

Oh and one more thing. Until YOU PERSONALLY (not your parents or gifts from other people) pay for YOUR OWN education up front - don't call it cheap. Seriously. Just fuck off. I doubt someone who had to pay their way into uni would earn much themselves lol.

spence

HSC
Also, do you have any idea how much writing and reading is required in law? How many hours of teaching it also requires?
Why would a lot of reading and writing make the course cost more? And law has a lot less teaching hours than many other subjects (science, engineering, etc.)

miaowsha

HSC
Why would a lot of reading and writing make the course cost more? And law has a lot less teaching hours than many other subjects (science, engineering, etc.)
Course readings. Yeah, it sounds trivial right? What's a bit of paper? But the time it takes to reproduce that stuff costs money even if you get a random clerk.

As for the teaching hours, no offence here but an engineering lecturer would cost less to hire than a top-shot barrister would... Remember... Opportunity cost concept :) I think it's in maybe week 1 of first year economics. That and common sense lol.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
People who have law degrees (and often more to teach it) can obviously get high-paying jobs for example in a law firm etc. UNSW (and other universities who want to teach law well) must compete with their salaries; of course uni fees are going to be high. Also, do you have any idea how much writing and reading is required in law? How many hours of teaching it also requires? How much certain guest speakers and such cost? Sure, the costs may not be for something physical like a clinical placement etc but hiring a top-shot barrister to come speak to some law students, take some time out of their high-paying day to do this would cost a hell of a lot of money. UNSW wants the best; getting the best costs money.
Well readings and teaching hours aside, guest speakers would cost quite a bit of money to get a hold of. And considering the fact that we have guest speakers coming in quite frequently, sometimes weekly (I remember Jose Ramos Horta coming in :guitar:) that may play a small part. USYD would definitely be the most expensive of all the law schools, no guessing needed there.

Anyway, back to your point about law readings, they take up as much time as Accounting for example. I actually find it easier to read the prescribed weekly readings (mind you we have 2 lectures a week) than chow down on Corporate Financial Reporting (Accounting). Legal writing does take a while to get used to, but in the end you develop your own style and it's no biggie. Of course like in any course you'll have a couple of whingers who don't do any preparation for class and ultimately have a cram session in the last week, hence the idea of law being ultra-hard. But personally law is just as hard as any other uni subject.

Oh and one more thing. Until YOU PERSONALLY (not your parents or gifts from other people) pay for YOUR OWN education up front - don't call it cheap. Seriously. Just fuck off. I doubt someone who had to pay their way into uni would earn much themselves lol.
And definitely agree with you on this point Miaowsha. However did the idea of paying private school fees (6 years of high school... *phwoar*) compared to uni fees would be comparatively cheaper for most parents ;)

miaowsha

HSC
Well readings and teaching hours aside, guest speakers would cost quite a bit of money to get a hold of. And considering the fact that we have guest speakers coming in quite frequently, sometimes weekly (I remember Jose Ramos Horta coming in :guitar:) that may play a small part. USYD would definitely be the most expensive of all the law schools, no guessing needed there.

Anyway, back to your point about law readings, they take up as much time as Accounting for example. I actually find it easier to read the prescribed weekly readings (mind you we have 2 lectures a week) than chow down on Corporate Financial Reporting (Accounting). Legal writing does take a while to get used to, but in the end you develop your own style and it's no biggie. Of course like in any course you'll have a couple of whingers who don't do any preparation for class and ultimately have a cram session in the last week, hence the idea of law being ultra-hard. But personally law is just as hard as any other uni subject.

And definitely agree with you on this point Miaowsha. However did the idea of paying private school fees (6 years of high school... *phwoar*) compared to uni fees would be comparatively cheaper for most parents ;)
I know I do accounting haha -.- and I have to help my friends with their law work. I had to read one of my friends her readings when she had operations on her eyes simultaneously after an accident. It wasn't so bad. I find it's sort of the same with real degree subjects :p Do your work and you're fine ^_^

I love it when I read posts like yours... They make me smile after sifting through the Riff-Raff. :kiss:

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
As for the statement about how cheap law must be to teach, you can really see why your GPA was too low to get in as a CSP student.

No, the only reason law costs more than other degrees is simply because the government subsidizes the cost less than other degrees. They contribute less to the cost of the degree because there is no need for them to increase demand.

All academics across the various faculties, qualifications and workload being equal, receive similar pay. In many faculties, any decent academic could demand a high income in the private sector.

You can read the government contributions here:
What you pay

The government contributes $14'664 annually to the cost of each full time year in engineering, but only $1709 to each full time year in a law degree.

Last edited:

spence

HSC
Course readings. Yeah, it sounds trivial right? What's a bit of paper? But the time it takes to reproduce that stuff costs money even if you get a random clerk.

As for the teaching hours, no offence here but an engineering lecturer would cost less to hire than a top-shot barrister would... Remember... Opportunity cost concept :) I think it's in maybe week 1 of first year economics. That and common sense lol.
Are you being intentionally stupid? There are course readings in every course, you pay for them seperately from your degree.
And thanks for the neutral rep

miaowsha

HSC
Are you being intentionally stupid? There are course readings in every course, you pay for them seperately from your degree.
And thanks for the neutral rep
Have you done every course? Some subjects are textbook, not printed readings. GTFO and learn something before saying "every course" as it isn't true.

I don't mean the reading pack either silly, material you get on top of that and stuff. Let me guess you're an artsy arts bludger who fails at life? Go die :)

spence

HSC
Have you done every course? Some subjects are textbook, not printed readings. GTFO and learn something before saying "every course" as it isn't true.

I don't mean the reading pack either silly, material you get on top of that and stuff. Let me guess you're an artsy arts bludger who fails at life? Go die :)
Ok, even if there are extra readings given to you, do you seriously think that these are expensive enough that it forces the price of the degree up by any significant amount? It's already been said in this thread that the only reason law costs more is that the govt doesn't subsidise it much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)