UNSW vs USYD Commerce (1 Viewer)

yugimon

HSC
Still don't know which to put first for my perferences :(
Would appreciate some pros and cons for each as it is becoming quite a hard decision as to which one to go to for commerce this yr between unsw and usyd. Thanks for help in advance.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
go for SYD rank 1, much more business oriented and more resources available in that field

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Simple.

If you're Asian and want to "fit in" immediately then UNSW is your 1st preference.

On the other hand, if you're white then USYD.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to actually make your own timetable go to UNSW.
+1. That's what I have been told.

PS. UNSW has a better comm. faculty. Also a centre for innovation is being built so students will have a greater link with industry following graduation.
PPS. Don't doubt the New South!

jenslekman

HSC
you can basically do that at USYD by choosing the times where you're "unavailable" ... and at USYD, there is much less competition in getting the times you want on your timetable.

+1. That's what I have been told.

PS. UNSW has a better comm. faculty. Also a centre for innovation is being built so students will have a greater link with industry following graduation.
PPS. Don't doubt the New South!
Links with industry aplenty at USYD - contact career kiosk for more info. And quality of education depends more on what major(s) you decide on choosing.

All in all, UNSW and USYD comm are pretty similar. I think you should choose based on convenience (of location), uni culture (what type of people you would like to interact with at uni) and maybe explore the campus facilities for yourself.

HSC
you can basically do that at USYD by choosing the times where you're "unavailable" ... and at USYD, there is much less competition in getting the times you want on your timetable.

Links with industry aplenty at USYD - contact career kiosk for more info. And quality of education depends more on what major(s) you decide on choosing.

All in all, UNSW and USYD comm are pretty similar. I think you should choose based on convenience (of location), uni culture (what type of people you would like to interact with at uni) and maybe explore the campus facilities for yourself.

^ Good summary of the main things you should consider. There isn't a huge rush for timetables that I've heard of at UNSW.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol you can make your own timetable if you know how to block the the units on MyUni or alternatively, just rock up to whatever tutorials you wanna be in and put your name on the roll. (Also lectures, just go to which ones you want because it's not like there's attendance...)

I wouldn't really stress on that as a deciding point.

Nor, the ratio of whites or asians...um, your higher education should be doing the course you want to do at the best uni you can for it ideally.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Both are great unis to go for Commerce. Each great in their own way. I don't see how you can go wrong with either tbh.

Factors I would consider if I was in your position are:
1) travel
2) friends (you might want to go where most of your friends are)
3) majors (one uni might not offer a major that you want to do)
4) uni life in general
5) your perception of the unis

EDIT
summed up by jenslekman

pHyRe

HSC
im going to usyd, but unsw probs has the edge in comm. i'll just go unsw if i bomb out my results since cut off is 91.3 with 5 bonus points.

academically, it won't make the slightest difference where you went. grades and extra stuff like groups/internships are way more important. i hear unsw inflates grades more than usyd, and i saw a graph of grade distributions to confirm that somewhere on BoS.

although i prefer having a better social life, nicer campus (imo) and convenient location. also comparing the gyms, i like usyds more haha.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
im going to usyd, but unsw probs has the edge in comm. i'll just go unsw if i bomb out my results since cut off is 91.3 with 5 bonus points.

academically, it won't make the slightest difference where you went. grades and extra stuff like groups/internships are way more important. i hear unsw inflates grades more than usyd, and i saw a graph of grade distributions to confirm that somewhere on BoS.

although i prefer having a better social life, nicer campus (imo) and convenient location. also comparing the gyms, i like usyds more haha.
UNSW has its own group of shops on campus. Haha.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Both are great unis to go for Commerce. Each great in their own way. I don't see how you can go wrong with either tbh.

Factors I would consider if I was in your position are:
1) travel
2) friends (you might want to go where most of your friends are)
3) majors (one uni might not offer a major that you want to do)
4) uni life in general
5) your perception of the unis

EDIT
summed up by jenslekman
Sometimes choosing to deliberately go where you know no one is great. Depends on the person.

UNSW has its own group of shops on campus. Haha.
USYD has shops...it's also ridiculously close to Broadway and by extension, the Sydney CBD :p

HSC
Sometimes choosing to deliberately go where you know no one is great. Depends on the person.
Agreed.

I came to USyd knowing literally no one (excluding 4 high school acquaintances I talked to anyways and the BoS krew) and tbh, I found it to be pretty great. If I went to say UNSW, I probably would have remained in my original friendship circle. But since it wasn't the case, I actually had to make the effort to meet people and consequently, I found that I 'crawled out of my social shell' and flourished socially. I've met some pretty damn down-to-earth people and also a variety of lovable personalities - and I never looked back :)

soz i got a bit carried away, im an emotional asianese :cry:

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
FYI, at unsw, a lot of people just chill with high school friends who go to the same uni , and OCCASIONALLy let people in the circle...

HSC
FYI, at unsw, a lot of people just chill with high school friends who go to the same uni , and OCCASIONALLy let people in the circle...
My point was I ~probably~ wouldn't have met as many people even if I was in my high school friendship circle as opposed to starting completely fresh. You clearly missed it.

nerdasdasd, pls.

HSC
Even though maybe 35% of my school year went to USYD I hardly see them anymore. I think it's a good idea to make a new set of friends. Sticking with old friends is safe and easy but you could be missing out on a lot!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)