untaxed paycheck, what to do about it? (1 Viewer)

peeetah

HSC
I just realised my first paycheck was untaxed because my employer didnt write down my tax file number the first time i gave it to them. i've now given my manager my TFN but my pay was still untaxed. What do i do now? all your help will be appreciated. thanks! :D

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Are you sure you didn't get taxed?

Ideally, if you didn't provide your TFN, your employer should have taxed you at the maximum tax rate of 46.5% plus medicare levy 1.5%. Unless it was cash in hand.

You should notify your employer ASAP

bdude

HSC
I didn't start getting taxed until a couple of months into my job at Coles.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
^ Keep in mind, you have to work a certain number of hours per week (varies on whether you're casual, PT or FT), to get taxed.

If you're working standard hours per week and still not getting taxed, then there may be something dodgy going on with your employer! Nevertheless, you'll still need to declare your income at years end, and you'll get taxed accordingly.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
tax only kicks in at ~$170

if it was only one week i wouldnt wory about it unless u made a HEAP of money that week

jirwin

HSC
Yea, there are weeks where I don't get taxed because I didn't work enough. On another note, I was taxed $53 last week :( 19hrs total, 7hrs @ $37, 8hrs @ $16.50 and 4hrs @ $23... I want my money back! I worked hard for that money :(

Does anyone know what the tax threshold is these days - apparently its gone up from $6,000 but I'm not sure what to.

debitcard

HSC
I'm not an accountant but I think in effect it's $10-$15000. It's $6000 tax-free then you get all of these rebates which give enough money back to make it effectively tax free up to the $10,000 amount.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
Yea, there are weeks where I don't get taxed because I didn't work enough. On another note, I was taxed $53 last week :( 19hrs total, 7hrs @ $37, 8hrs @ $16.50 and 4hrs @ $23... I want my money back! I worked hard for that money :(

Does anyone know what the tax threshold is these days - apparently its gone up from $6,000 but I'm not sure what to.
:\ I got taxed $576 this week.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
I'm a casual, 28 hours a week. Keep in mind that this fortnight's pay was inclusive of a long public holiday shift I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)