Urban Dynamics- Help!!!!! (1 Viewer)

sally123

I HATE URBAN DYNAMICS. maybe cause i don't understand it!
I understand the definiftions of exurbanisation, counterurbanisation and all that but i don't understand how i could put them into any essay questions. The text book always refers to the way urban dynamics affect America, do we need to understand that to. If ne1 can help me understand or give me ne tips it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to study because i don't understand this topic.
Any sample questions for this topic would be appreciated aswell.
THANK YOU

malkin86

HSC
the way urban dynamics affect America is a case study - do you have any case studies that you did in class, not from the textbook?

They haven't asked a question on urban dynamics in the last 3 years.. o_O Just megacities and world cities's networks.

big_ticket

HSC
N/A
that's all the more reason, that urban dynamics will be in there this year..that's my bet neways

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i really hope they ask about how urban dynamics affect the social structure and patterns of advantage and disadvantage. we got that in our trials this year and when you understand it you just remember it. pyrmont could be in it ie case study

the fat kat

Urban dynamics is my best topic, as well as mega cities. We went to Sydney and did our fieldwork there. Didn't u guys do fieldwork? My best is Harrington Park, as it has culture of place, spatial exclusion, and urban village.
My worst part is economic activity, we need the local visitor information centre as our enterpise for uorism, and got like no inofrmation.
Our trial was bout mega cities i think?!?!
We didn't use our tectbook for this section, it was all based on fieldwork.

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
lukebennett said:
i really hope they ask about how urban dynamics affect the social structure and patterns of advantage and disadvantage. we got that in our trials this year and when you understand it you just remember it. pyrmont could be in it ie case study
wat r the chances of that happening, i reckon it will jsut be a general q regarding urban dynamics operating in a large city,
can the Board actually refer to 1 of those urban points?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
IP_freely said:
wat r the chances of that happening, i reckon it will jsut be a general q regarding urban dynamics operating in a large city,
can the Board actually refer to 1 of those urban points?
they can ask anything on the syllabus. we were asked about social strusture and spatial patterns of advantage and disadvantage in trials. a teacher from my school actually wrote the hsc but she is guarded by this contract and she cant teach year 12 and give anything away but she checks our assessments to check they are legitamate before we do them. they can test a whole dot point or even part of a dot point

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
man ur starting to worry me, i got all my info, but how can u wirte like say 1 booklet if they tell us to jsut refer to 1 of those dash points, i mean it'd be alright if it was in short answer q's but sif in the extended response

sally123

We never did a case study for urban dynamics.
we did Dubbo for a changing regional centre and just had general notes on the demise of a small town for all differant areas. My trial question was on the advantages and disadvantages of spatial ditribution and i used examples of Sydney and got good marks for it, but my teacher has never taught a year 12 class b4 so maybe she has lead us in the wrong direction?????

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
IP_freely said:
man ur starting to worry me, i got all my info, but how can u wirte like say 1 booklet if they tell us to jsut refer to 1 of those dash points, i mean it'd be alright if it was in short answer q's but sif in the extended response
The main dot point talks about a case study of a large city in the developed world so i imagine they are referring to sydney and weve strongly focussed on this all year

its not that hard. my teacher says it is unlkikely they will ask how urban dynamics have affected sydney in the broad sense.
with social structure simple discuss the global forces and economic shift which saw old world economy such as manufacturing relocated. it has automated, emingrated and evaporated. They were relocated away from the CIA (Pyrmont, Ultimo, Glebe) to places in southern and western Sydney. The workers suburbanised with the work. New economy emerges at this time and locates its self in the northern areas of sydney. You have two sections and a divide appears.

Then you must discuss what determines where you live. education, occupation and income. language barriers of immigrants can affect job prospects. single parents struggle. people with less qualifications are disadvantaged.

Then you can discuss where wealthy people suburbanised to including water ways, nearer to amenities and facilities. this is where the adantage can appear. The disadvantaged and poorer people locate themselves in places with lots of rent. they cant afford to buy a house and secure captital and this can perpetuate itself through the next generations of the family. The wealthier are located in the areas of private and selective school generally speaking and are advantaged in that regard too

Then you can discuss urban renewal and its affects on land value and the locations of different social groups bla bla bla. Pyrmont renewed and now for wealthy due to strategic location on water and near CBD. redfern is still quite decayd in places and this makes it more affordable for poorer people to rent in or purchase a home.

You can talk briefly about othe dynamics such as urban village and how that concentrates certain groups of similar cultures such as brighton le sans for greeks and double bay for the affluent shoppers culture
exurbanisation is where affluent people relocate themselves to the outskirts on acreage usually for the country lifestyle near to the city. this makes a pattern around sydney of wealthy people.

i did 5 pages on this dash point in the trials and got 17/20 which is good at my school because they mark quite hard in geo

Tut Tut

my best topic

ok, so i love this topic.

well i dont really want to go into the entirety of it but if you want to email me on sexylovebug35@hotmail.com, i will send u my notes, or we could just chat about it and what ever, ive also done a fair amount of practice responses that might be of use to see how to fit urban dynamics in to an extended response...
either way email me about it and ill give u what ever info u need...
hope all goes well.

eelg

eelg
HSC
PPL ur so...

Come on ppl! Urban Dynamics are so easy, all ya have to do is make it up as you go. lol! NAh, if you know stuff like what counterurbanisation, exurbanisation etc. than you can relate these definitions to your case study.. such as China, Beijing... these definitions can act as a link to explaining the urban dynamics occuring in your case study, by understanding these definitions it can easily be converted into more marks for your essay!!! Go hard! Get a band 6!!! gud luck geo students 2004!

Target UAI: 97.8

AbeGettysburg

HSC
Urban Dynamics Texts

what texts r u using?
we have A Geography of Global INteractions 2 by Grant Kleeman which has a great section on Sydney. Also MacMillan Senior Geography 2 by John Paine & others has a good section on Pyrmont and Sydney.
these texts are up to date
try the websites of sydney city council http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/ and the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority website http://www.shfa.nsw.gov.au

at first urban dynamics seems a little boring but when you get into it it is really interesting and so important to geography considering the urban nature of the world's ever increasing population.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)