URGENT: Study techniques for block exams? (1 Viewer)

saysesame

HSC
I think I have really bad study habits. I always get overwhelmed and fail to revise everything effectively if the exams are really close together (which they are). :(
Any advice would be hugely appreciated :D

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you provide a run through of how you study in a day?

saysesame

HSC
Well... I normally start at 8pm or a bit later, because after school I have either piano or tutoring which is already two hours off, then dinner and all that jazz >< I do homework first (takes around 2-3 hours) , and then assignments or study for tests if they are due/coming up soon. I don't have a schedule.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
And what's your general plan of attack when you study?

Realista

HSC
The holidays were a good time to make notes on everything you have done so far in term 1 that is going to be in the half yearlies. That's plenty of time saved which would otherwise be crammed the day before the exam.

saysesame

HSC
And what's your general plan of attack when you study?
I don't think I have one (problem right there) ... to go with the flow I guess? :p

The holidays were a good time to make notes on everything you have done so far in term 1 that is going to be in the half yearlies. That's plenty of time saved which would otherwise be crammed the day before the exam.
Yes they were. Unfortunately notes = no can do for maths...

Last edited:
HSC
Hello. Well I think you need to at least have 1 or 2 days a week when you don't have tutoring or jazz so you have a free afternoon to go over the work and make sure you understand it esecially for maths and science when nearing block exam weeks.

What I would do is on a weekend make notes of what you did through the week for the most important subjects and read over the work and I can't say this enough it is so important to UNDERSTAND the work you did through the week which is something I failed to do in Yr 9 and 10. For maths write down Formulas and an example question (Maybe an Easy and Hard one), For science summarise the most important work, don't just write out the whiole page again that you wrote in class. For english... well I really have no clue except read as often as you can to develop your vocational and literary skills. For your electives which im guessing you have 2 or 3 read over the notes and make sure in class your highlight the most important things which I find so helpful when it comes to every subject especially when new maths forumlas are introduced.

For Yr 10 I would start to get in the habit or revising notes and summarising as frequently as you can but make sure you ALWAYS have a free day like Saturday or Sunday to enjoy whatever it is you do.

So to summarise what I have said.

Have at least 1 or 2 afternoons throughtout the week free from Jazz and Tutoring
Make sure you have one weekend day where it is free so you can do whatever you like ;)
For maths make a study book and write down formulas introduced to you and example questions (An easy and a hard one) to understand how to apply them to work. HIGHLIGHT the forumlas in class so it is easier to revise and write in your study book. ALWAYS do your homework in maths, as my old teacher said "Homework is not a punishment, It is to see if you can do the work".
For Science read over your work and HIGHLIGHT the most important things in class. Read over the work and write down the Highlighted 'important' stuff in your study science book
For English read as often as you can and you will be suprised how much your spelling, techniques and creativity improves
All other subjects you do HIGHLIGHT the important stuff IN CLASS and read over it (I never made a study book for these subjects because it's mostly easy)

Your only in Yr 10 but in the later years of highschool you will need to do this so I would start NOW to get in the habit but remember everyone is different some can sink in the information quite easily others may have difficulties, Some people may want to get REALLY High Atars and others just want to recieve one. So it's really up to you what you take from this. Goodluck!

Last edited:

kazemagic

HSC
O_O 3hrs of homework per day, not to mention studying... wow you sound like an HSC student. I don't usually separate my studies into different days, normally i'd just cram it all in one day that's close to the exams, it works pretty well cos of the pressure. But the most optimal study method is probably do a little everyday. The only tip I can give for maths is to practice a lot by doing questions, reading over formulas and revising over the methods won't do jack. Oh yea, practicing exam style questions will greatly help you.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Hello. Well I think you need to at least have 1 or 2 days a week when you don't have tutoring or jazz so you have a free afternoon to go over the work and make sure you understand it esecially for maths and science when nearing block exam weeks.

What I would do is on a weekend make notes of what you did through the week for the most important subjects and read over the work and I can't say this enough it is so important to UNDERSTAND the work you did through the week which is something I failed to do in Yr 9 and 10. For maths write down Formulas and an example question (Maybe an Easy and Hard one), For science summarise the most important work, don't just write out the whiole page again that you wrote in class. For english... well I really have no clue except read as often as you can to develop your vocational and literely skills. For your electives which im guessing you have 2 or 3 read over the notes and make sure in class your highlight the most important things which I find so helpful when it comes to every subject especially when new maths forumlas are introduced.

For Yr 10 I would start to get in the habit or revising notes and summarising as frequently as you can but make sure you ALWAYS have a free day like Saturday or Sunday to enjoy whatever it is you do.

So to summarise what I have said.

Have at least 1 or 2 afternoons throughtout the week free from Jazz and Tutoring
Make sure you have one weekend day where it is free so you can do whatever you like ;)
For maths make a study book and write down formulas introduced to you and example questions (An easy and a hard one) to understand how to apply them to work. HIGHLIGHT the forumlas in class so it is easier to revise and write in your study book. ALWAYS do your homework in maths, as my old teacher said "Homework is not a punishment, It is to see if you can do the work".
For Science read over your work and HIGHLIGHT the most important things in class. Read over the work and write down the Highlighted 'important' stuff in your study science book
For English read as often as you can and you will be suprised how much your spelling, techniques and creativity improves
All other subjects you do HIGHLIGHT the important stuff IN CLASS and read over it (I never made a study book for these subjects because it's mostly easy)

Your only in Yr 10 but in the later years of highschool you will need to do this so I would start NOW to get in the habit but remember everyone is different some can sink in the information quite easily others may have difficulties, Some people may want to get REALLY High Atars and others just want to recieve one. So it's really up to you what you take from this. Goodluck!
Great advice! :)

saysesame

HSC
O_O 3hrs of homework per day, not to mention studying... wow you sound like an HSC student. I don't usually separate my studies into different days, normally i'd just cram it all in one day that's close to the exams, it works pretty well cos of the pressure. But the most optimal study method is probably do a little everyday. The only tip I can give for maths is to practice a lot by doing questions, reading over formulas and revising over the methods won't do jack. Oh yea, practicing exam style questions will greatly help you.
Wahh you have amazing memory then :O

kazemagic

HSC
Wahh you have amazing memory then :O
O_O that turned out quite wrong. What I meant is that just reading over it wont do anything, because you will forget it very soon(I have first hand experience). You've gotta practice by doing questions on paper.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Hmm, to write an essay length guide to studying for school work or not...

Edit: Give me 10 minutes. I shall write something up.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
O_O that turned out quite wrong. What I meant is that just reading over it wont do anything, because you will forget it very soon(I have first hand experience). You've gotta practice by doing questions on paper.
Reading something over once won't do anything, yes, but reading something several times for an extended period will. Doing anything once won't help - you need to do something often enough so that it gets stuck in your long term memory. But yes, past paper questions really, really help.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Now, I don't usually take my time writing such long pieces of essays regarding tips on studying and exams but I think you could benefit greatly from this and I hope other students in years 9 and 10 who are having difficulty will acquire something out of this. Firstly, you have mentioned that your school has their exams all together in perhaps a week, in a similar fashion to many other schools of course. You have also identified the problem as perhaps being 'overwhelmed' with the workload and failing to recall important concepts on exam periods. This is where we begin. It is a good start as you have identified the problem. What you now must do is brainstorm and decide upon an attack point to rectify this.

Problem: Overwhelmed and failure to memorise

Possible solutions:

Obviously, a good strategy I have used in the past since year 9 was to purchase a completely new desk and re-organise the way I did things. I would recommend completely changing your work environment. By that, you should find a quiet area, perhaps your bed room to study. A new clean (big preferably) table with a nice sturdy comfortable chair (not too comfortable that you'll rather choose sleeping) will be the beginning. Ensure that there are absolutely no distractions when you study or do homework. Tell your family in advance that you would rather not be disturbed and I am sure they will understand and co-operate with you. When that is done, try and organise all your school work into folders or different subjects. Ensure that they are in an area together where you can immediately take them out without wasting time looking for it. Also, confirm that you have pens, pencils and all other relevant stationary needed to complete your work.

Aside from creating a new work environment, motivation is needed. By that, I mean finding something which will help you become resilient and focused on work. There are many tips which I can share for you but I will share this one which I find in particular, very helpful. I'm sure some people in the BOS community may have heard of this strategy I've used for school work but I will mention it for the benefit of others. Note the work that you have to have completed. Make sure they're very short term goals which are achievable and realistic. Example: You wouldn't want 'Get straight As in my half year examinations' but rather 'Finish completing this page of homework tonight' or 'Reading a chapter of a novel' (remember this is just an example). When you have identified the work to be done over the week, WRITE IT DOWN! Write it on a sticky note and paste it in your room on the walls or everywhere in the house for my case. When you have completed your task, you get the satisfaction of ticking off a note and ripping it off the wall. Also reward yourself when you finish tasks, such as dessert or perhaps spending time on the computer.

But what about study and homework technique? Obviously, I can offer a few tricks and tips which could hopefully aid you for that as well. For starters, listening in class and paying attention will get you far (I mean that seriously). If you're disregarding the teacher and simply talking to your friends, stop now. If it's a prevalent problem, move away from your friends in all subjects you have. Pay attention and ASK QUESTIONS! Many people feel like idiots because they expect that asking a stupid question which everybody knows would result in embarassment. But here's the truth. I will wager that half the time you have a question on your mind, another person has the same question although you're both afraid to ask. It doesn't matter what the class thinks if you ask a stupid question. What matters is YOUR understanding. When you are given homework or assignments or exams at school, make sure to READ IT CAREFULLY! If you have a query, you can ask straight after class rather then disadvantaging yourself by asking late.

Outside the school at home, you'll be approaching things differently. I will generally do the easiest work first to get it out of the way. When you have homework, be sure to complete it as soon as possible. This also goes for assignments to. Be independent enough to take out that assignment paper and do the work you're asked straight away when you have the opportunity. By doing all tasks early, there is less stress on yourself. For exams, you will generally get a notification. When you do, I normally ask the topics being assessed if they are not specified. Also, any queries or strangely worded sentences need clarification straight away with the teacher. When you know what to do, get home and immediately start on studying. By this, I generally have different tactics for studying in different subjects as the list below will demonstrate:

Maths: The idea behind doing well is to ensure that you UNDERSTAND the topics required. Schools will give you a text book and I believe whatever work your teacher sets, please do it promptly. If you experience any difficulty with the work they give, ask immediately the following day for help. My tutor told me that the trick in junior mathematics is to be familiar will all questions so that when you enter an exam, you're capable to do any question asked as you've 'seen' them all. Be consistent with maths. Do it everyday for about 30mins to 1hr and I'm sure you'll be comfortable in no time.

For all other subjects in general: In English and history especially, you may often get asked to write essays. The only help I can offer for that is that you should know and have read your text which you are meant to be studying. Reading the questions carefully on task sheets and being familiar with it should help. In science and other written inclined electives, what I generally do is create a comprehensive yet short summary of all the topics which I know will be assessed. I use microsoft word and read over my school books and text books to the chapters I need to. I will then highlight important or bolded sentences and place them into the word document which I would soon after print off to use and quick refer to whenever I need to. Read over the notes to jot your memory but it is also good to consistently read through your school book and text books to maximise potential.

Know this: When you have studied, you should not be afraid in an exam because you KNOW IT!

Obviously though, don't go into an exam adopting an attitude of 'This is going to be easy' but rather, assure yourself that you will do fine because you have studied. My school hardly does this, But I hear that many schools are now giving students the questions and you are to research and write your answers on the test date. If you have any of those forms of tests, the best advice for this is to write draft answers or dot points on what you need to know and answer the questions as per usual with what you have memorised.

Remember, aside from this huge long answer to you about work ethics and tips, please remember my secret to performing well in exams. It isn't how much you study but rather, how smart you are at studying. Do not be pressured by the peers of yours who have told you that they studied ten times more then you. The competition isn't with them, it's against yourself. You have to BALANCE your lifestyle to achieve marks in exams. Therefore, it means going out, playing an instrument or doing any extra curricular activities which you enjoy. I play quite a lot of sport in a week to relieve stress and relax. You should find that hobby of yours which comforts you in a time when you're stressed! A healthy body makes a healthy mind. Eat vegetables or fruits and stay away from the junk food if you can as they generally only increase your stress. My mother makes me drink green tea before exams and I find it a very helpful in clearing my mind.

Finally, I hope you've taken your time to read this and that it has in some way helped you. I know it's probably the longest piece of writing I've ever written in BOS but I have taken my time to do this because I want you to benefit completely from the techniques which I have learnt and been given by others. What the secret to doing exams? Essentially, there is nothing but inspiration and perspiration that gets you far. Remember that if you want anything clarified, please PM me and I'm happy to answer.

Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed typing this up.

Last edited:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Forgot to state one more thing. YOU, are in control and responsible for your own work! Only YOU can determine your performance in exams.

HSC
The most helpful tip I can ever say: listen to this wise guy here ^ :)

Now if only I had one tenth of Demento's work ethic in year 10...

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
The most helpful tip I can ever say: listen to this wise guy here ^ :)

Now if only I had one tenth of Demento's work ethic in year 10...
Tell me about it. Good on your Demento for being so dedicated :) Your efforts will be rewarded for in your reports.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Tell me about it. Good on your Demento for being so dedicated :) Your efforts will be rewarded for in your reports.
Hoping so. I'm sure both you and twinkle will do well at school and make BOS proud :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)