• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Urmmm ? (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, I wouldn't mind UAI of 73 as long as I know that I tried my best. It would be unlikely to get UAI of 73 if I really worked hard/smart but I wouldn't mind getting that as long as I know that I tried my best.
best comment on this thread so far. :D

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Bree.Leigh said:
ok so i want to be a psychologist and i want to study at the university of wollongong, which means i need a uai of at least 90.00, the only problem is my high school, although im not sure of our exact ranking, im sure is really low, last year the highest uai result at my school was 73..

so i want to change to st marys senior, which is def up there, im pretty sure in the top 10.. so im gonna apply for there this year, where i believe i have a better chance of getting a higher uai, but what happens if i don't get accepted?

does anyone think it's possible to get a 90.00 uai at a school where the highest last year was 73?
Yeah it's possible. As long as you put the effort and hardwork in, you'll be fine.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Really, the HSC isn't a measure of intelligence (to some degree) but its more so of dedication.

Your final result, no matter what it is, should satisfy you if you KNOW you deserved that result.

You can't really expect 90+ if you put in next to no effort can you?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
imo the HSC is useless. what is it going to do for your future? the majority of job descriptions don't require you to do the HSC.
so you say that will allow you to go to uni... well so what?... so does TAFE, foundation of university studies... and other qualifications...

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
imo the HSC is useless. what is it going to do for your future? the majority of job descriptions don't require you to do the HSC.
so you say that will allow you to go to uni... well so what?... so does TAFE, foundation of university studies... and other qualifications...
TAFE lol.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Really, the HSC isn't a measure of intelligence (to some degree) but its more so of dedication.

Your final result, no matter what it is, should satisfy you if you KNOW you deserved that result.

You can't really expect 90+ if you put in next to no effort can you?
QFT. I cannot agree more. Whether you did your work or not will be eventually reflected in your result. So, get your fingers out now and do some work.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
foram said:
melanieeeee lol.

EDIT: UNI > TAFE/.
you are an idiot. you didn't even get my point. my point was why do you need to do the HSC to get into uni when you can go to TAFE and get into uni.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
you are an idiot. you didn't even get my point. my point was why do you need to do the HSC to get into uni when you can go to TAFE and get into uni.
Not every uni is like macquarie.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
Sorry, I can't agree that the HSC is useless. Doing the HSC and getting a good UAI is the most direct, efficient and concrete way of going into university. Sure, you could do TAFE, but that would just take longer and you would still need to work hard to get good enough results so as to be offered a position at university. Why not just work hard during the HSC and get it over with, rather than taking the longer way?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
why do it LATER when you can do it now?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Continuum said:
Sorry, I can't agree that the HSC is useless. Doing the HSC and getting a good UAI is the most direct, efficient and concrete way of going into university.
No it isn't. How is it more direct, efficent and concete way of getting into uni more than a TAFE qualification or Foundation Studies. By the time you complete your HSC (2 year incl. prelim) you could have already finished a diploma ready for uni.

Sure, you could do TAFE, but that would just take longer and you would still need to work hard to get good enough results so as to be offered a position at university. Why not just work hard during the HSC and get it over with, rather than taking the longer way?
No it wouldn't depending on the type of diploma but a business diploma usually takes one year and the level of effort needed is just the same as you would for the HSC. Lets say for UNSW the website says in order for you to be competitive you would need at least a credit average. A credit average is not that hard to get compared to a UAI of 80 or whatever. Btw I am not saying do the HSC then do TAFE, I am refering to doing TAFE instead of HSC to get into UNI.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
tommykins said:
why do it LATER when you can do it now?
do what later? i was refering to doing a different qualification all together rather than do HSC then TAFE/foundation studies. leave year 10!!! HSC is useless imo!!!

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
A credit average is not that hard to get compared to a UAI of 80 or whatever.
Both requirements are ridiculously easy to get.

But what if you want to do combined law? How would you get in through TAFE?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
do what later? i was refering to doing a different qualification all together rather than do HSC then TAFE/foundation studies. leave year 10!!! HSC is useless imo!!!
You cannot judge the HSC to be completely useless when only a minority of people pursure a completely different qualification.

It is true that you can enter Uni whilst at TAFE, but why would you go through all that hassle, rather than jsut getting into Uni now?

Everything is done for you now, jsut sit exams/assessments, simpler option IMO.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
can you apply for Med or Commerce/law after TAFE? or just the courses w/ minimal requirements

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
foram said:
Both requirements are ridiculously easy to get.

But what if you want to do combined law? How would you get in through TAFE?
easy. just get high enough marks equivilant of a UAI of that UAI. this isn't really tafe but know someone who got into combined law with foundation studies.

tommykins said:
You cannot judge the HSC to be completely useless when only a minority of people pursure a completely different qualification.
ok it isn't completely useless but it isn't completely useful either. imo a TAFE qualifcation is more useful than the HSC at least more employers recognise it

It is true that you can enter Uni whilst at TAFE, but why would you go through all that hassle, rather than jsut getting into Uni now?
zomgsh you didnt get my point. if you leave in year 10 it generally take one year to complete a certificate then use that certificate to get exemptions for youre diploma allowing you to complete it in less than 2 years which is how long HSC + prelim take

Everything is done for you now, jsut sit exams/assessments, simpler option IMO.
what makes you think that it is a simpler option compared to if you left high school in year 10 and went to TAFE.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
As a gentleman, I feel the need to defend the lady. :) :) :)

I don't think melanie had intention of commenting that HSC is completely useless. She is probably saying that HSC does not determine one's future career and she is also suggesting TAFE as an alternative career path.

She may be saying that TAFE may contribute to one's career than any university courses can.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
adidasboy said:
can you apply for Med or Commerce/law after TAFE? or just the courses w/ minimal requirements
med i doubt it but im pretty sure commerce/law as long as you get the marks. i would say you can't get into med because there is additional requirements but commerce/law doesn't have these additional requirments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)