Us marines to be based in darwin: Reports (1 Viewer)

Do you agree with the US setting up a base in Australia?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I dont have a brain to say

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
US MARINES TO BE BASED IN DARWIN: REPORTS

A new permanent US military presence in Darwin should not affect Australia's relationship with China, a senior opposition MP says.

US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Julia Gillard are expected to announce next week during Mr Obama's first visit to Australia that Marines will be rotated through a military base in Darwin.

Fairfax newspapers say the move is "a sign about heightened concern about China".

Opposition frontbencher Scott Morrison says the coalition wants more details, but says it shouldn't affect Australia's relationship with China.

"I don't think it's in any way some sort of provocative step. It is just a function of the alliances we have, of the part of the world in which we live in," Mr Morrison told the Nine Network.

"Our relationship with China will always be strong and one of the key reasons of that is there is much to be gained on both sides of that relationship."

Federal cabinet minister Tony Burke would not confirm or deny the report.

"Can't confirm it. I don't know the answer to your question," he told the Seven Network.

Trade Minister Craig Emerson also would not comment on the issue when asked on Sky News.

Mr Obama will address a special joint sitting of parliamentarians next Thursday, where he will reference America's broader role in the Asia-Pacific.

"This will really be the kind of anchor speech by the president in his first term on how the US sees the Asia-Pacific," Ben Rhodes, a White House deputy national security adviser, told reporters in Washington earlier this week.

It will touch on how the US has sought to strengthen relations with emerging powers such as China and India, and engage with regional institutions such as APEC and the East Asia Summit.

"He'll focus on the security agenda - including the US posture in the region going forward - our defence posture, as well as our alliance in political relationships.

Mr Obama and Ms Gillard will fly to Darwin, where it's believed he'll announce a boost in America's military presence in northern Australia.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/11564712/us-to-have-new-military-presence-in-aust/

LonelyWolf

HSC
wholeheartedly support it. I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever.

Lentern

HSC
Sing me songs of no denying
Seems to me too many trying
Waiting for the next big thing

Cianyx

Planarian Leader
HSC
I guess Darwin is sorta like Uganda

Garygaz

HSC
dey can stop the indonesian invasion when it happens its true i read it in day after tomorrow

Subhas Bose

Banned
HSC
why read about asian invasions in day after tomorrow when you can watch them on today tonight

Garygaz

HSC
john marsden such a good nonfiction writer though

Subhas Bose

Banned
HSC
well motoring expert john caddogan and host matt white are excellent crafters of fictional works

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
john marsden such a good nonfiction writer though
its tomorrow when the war began, great set of books read em all.

no where in any of the books is there even a slight indication of the country of origin, of the invaders, all we know is that English was not their native tongue

boris

Banned
HSC
its tomorrow when the war began, great set of books read em all.

no where in any of the books is there even a slight indication of the country of origin, of the invaders, all we know is that English was not their native tongue
we still know it was the indos m8

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
hahaha indo invasion as if the us and china would let that happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)