Use of laptops in exams (1 Viewer)

asianperson

HSC
Hey all, new to forums.

I have heard stories of people in particular private school kids (not explicitly accusing anyone) being able to use laptops in exams such as English and other writing heavy subjects without actually
having any proper justification such as an injury or other medical reason.
I've been told they simply just say they "write slowly" or "get tired easily writing" and they get a laptop to use....
Does anyone know if this is true or if anyone one else has heard these rumors.

I want in on this ;)

asianperson

HSC
I' ve just heard for tutors and friends about this recently, before I had no idea

CaffeineMotor

HSC
No, that's a load of crap. I'm in private and know plenty in other private schools. There's not a chance EVER we'd get to use a laptop for a test. Those excuses would never be accepted and would be seriously laughed at. It'd be nice to use a laptop :p But the only help you'd ever get (in the case of a real and serious injury) would be either extra time or someone writing for you. Again only in serious circumstances.

Where did this rumour start?

Last edited:

asianperson

HSC
I heard it from a tutor who offhandedly mentioned it =S when i asked him about it he said he heard it from a friend as well.
It may just be a rumour among non-private kids who over estimate the privileges private kids get =P

Hazballs

HSC
I have a friend who is able to use a laptop during exams for english and stuff, however thats because he has something wrong and it's still not really an advantage for him to be able to use a laptop anyway he still is very slow

D94

HSC
N/A
I heard it from a tutor who offhandedly mentioned it =S when i asked him about it he said he heard it from a friend as well.
It may just be a rumour among non-private kids who over estimate the privileges private kids get =P
And let me guess, that friend heard it from another friend who heard it from another friend. The claim doesn't seem very plausible or credible.

jasonz1c

HSC
N/A
My economics teacher told me first hand that someone in Year 12 has been granted permission to type their exams. However it's not really a disadvantage to others as he wouldn't be as gifted.

Also, half of the Barker cohort has some sort of special provisions.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Every student with special provisions, public or private go through the same approval process at the board of studies and have satisfied the board requirements.

There are more students with special provisions who are private students simply because more private students apply. They are better guided and informed by their schools as to their eligibility.

It's likely many public students who are entitled to such special provisions simply dont apply as they aren't aware etc. It's not a case of private students abusing the system or anything. They are merely applying for what they are entitled to.

Kieran95

HSC
I don't go to a private school but i recently cut the tendon in my hand and won't be able to write for the HSC. I actually called up the board of studies and asked them first hand if i would be able to use a laptop and the reply that i got was "the only time we are allowed to let people use a laptop is if they are physically incapable of speaking to a scribe", so in other words if you can talk, then you don't get to use a laptop.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have marked the HSC for 20+ years and can remember only about 3 - 4 typed scripts - they don't get 'laptops' as such but simple wordprocessors that can type - no spell checker or things like that.

They are used by blind students and those with speech impediments who also have a physical problem being able to write.

Again from my experience private schools do put a lot of time and effort into applying for special provisions but there is a lot of paperwork involved and often the documentation has to go back years. My schools starts keeping records from the day the student enrols and keeps copies of all medical reports and tests etc. Then in Year 12 we have a teacher who spends hours filling in the forms and getting the teachers of the students to complete the forms etc.

Once the forms are filled in and the rest of the documentation is put together it is sent to the BOS who go through it and can even ask for more documents or even more tests by their own approved doctors. Only if approved by the BOS can any student have special provisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)