Useless teacher or boring subject? (1 Viewer)

Alex

I personally have put a lot of effort into all my assessment tasks which were practical. I studied one hour before the assessment task which was a test for ipt and now I am currently ranked 6th out of about 50 students doint IPT at my school.

debugz

HSC
i got jipped in the hsc ipt exam
i thought i'd done well.. confident when i walked out.. but my mark was shit

man... sucked
only like 0.71% of students got in band 6 for ipt... thats pretty damn bad

grrrrrr

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nelly

With Stat's like that it proves that the syllabus should be revised. I spend the whole period playing games, then night before exams I read the book. currently I am 3rd in the class. I can't complain. But for people who can't BS the answers, and can't make up stuff on the spot which seems right (common sense), I think that the course should be revised.

del

HSC
N/A
...the course should be revised.
The course itself is okay (yeah, i know i'm the only one here who thinks so). I don't know how much your teachers have stressed to you to read the syllabus, but if the syllabus is read clearly, it's pretty clear cut what matters and what doesn't matter. In the textbooks, some of the stuff isn't in the syllabus and I wouldn't waste my time revising/reading stuff which isn't part of the course.

As for the stats... Band 6 is for the best of the best, if only 0.71% get into band 6, i'd feel damn happy if i got into band 5, cos there isn't much of a major difference when you think about it.

If anything that needs revising, its that the course should have one less unit. Five units in 4 terms is possible, but a little more time spent on 4 units will provide better outcomes than time spent rushing through the course.

Morgues

IPT would be a much better subject if they focused on things that a student could actually relate to every day computers
Far to much weighting is given to Social and Ethical issues and information processes
There are interesting parts to the course but it is overshadowed by the bullshit no one cares about

del

HSC
N/A
ahh... but actually relate and the real word have a line in between. we picture computers as we do, programming, the thing we web design on, the thing we pull part and fiddle with.

And the course is called Information Processes and Technology, so of course it's gonna have heaps on processes.

but (this is like getting cliched..sorry) like in the real business world, I.S. are just as much a part. If you go a develop some kick arse database driven website, it's an I.S., and stuff done in IPT has relevance in it.

Maybe the info systems/processes part isn't one's forte, but hey, theres many degrees to the word computers, so it's just up to each if us to find our own little niche, whatever that may be... personally though I prefer SDD over IPT.

Nelly

I can see where you're coming from, but still....it's one of the most boring courses in the syllabus, the only topic which was remotely interesting was multimedia, thats because it's all about ripping jpegs, and wav files, which does have a small impact on everday life. Because it is good to know why we have to compress wav into mp3's. But all the other options (that we have done) are completely boring and pointless.

BTW, how much were all your major projects worth??? Our's was only worth 20%, is that a too little?

Morgues

We had a group project and an individual project worth 20% each

BTW have people studied IPT for the trials?
With all the other subjects I haven't even revised it..........looks like I will have to use my bullshitting skills.......perfect for IPT

Nelly

Exactly, with a course like IPT, you dont need to spend too much studying for it. Just about 2 days before read the book and the notes, cram it all into your head, use your BSing schools + common sense. Then voila! You have completed studying for IPT.

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
I think all you guys (and gals perhaps) have techers that understand what they are talking about, so if you ask a specific question, you can have an answer. My teacher is the worst. If two people ask her the same question, she will give two totally different answers - making an already 'difficult' subject even more difficult.

Anyhow, this is my way os BSing an exam:
1. Learn the glossary terms. You will die if you dont (as if you dont know tho)
2. Learn key terms for IPT, such as information processes and stuff like that. (there are more complex terms to learn - just look at past and specimen papers)
3. Whenever you read a question, pretend your in that situation. I know it sounds weird, but it makes it a whole lot easier to BS.

Thats my tips. Feel free to post yours for the world to steal.

del

HSC
N/A
it's one of the most boring courses in the syllabus
ITV beats it by far on the boring scale.

Nah our major project is 20% too. What's everyone doing? I'm doing a TPS, online library system. Web based, complete with advanced searching, new member signup, lost password retrieval....etc Dumb thing is, I've given myself a lot more work, in terms of developing the system, as well as documenting it. Still I'm having fun with the project, and feel more satisfied knowing that I've achieved something that took effort.

As for study techniques... agree with number 1 and 2 Nightshade.
In addition... read through the syllabus and make sure you know what's in it. They can ask you questions on scenarios mentioned in the syllabus.. e.g RTA, video store...blah..those ones were pretty simple, but you get the jist. Highlight..... how much I love highlighters...I swear stationary manufacturers must make loads from us Year 12-ers.

Nelly

My major project is on a Web Site. We have to create a website using the proper format, e.g. Protoype, Feasibility study, and crap like that. I made the website, then the Prototype, thats how pointless the course is. Now-a-says, who uses a paper based prototype to create a web page. You start it on computer, and you keep working on a digital copy, until it looks right for uploading.

natalie

i have to agree.
i chose IPT thinking it would be a great UAI booster
but im in with a group of students who do absolutly nothing
People got 1% in the half yearly exmas!!!

i also hate the fact that you can study your butt off learning
everything then just scrape a pass when others who do nothing
pass with flying colours.

i think IPT is the most unpredictable subject
and is certainly a waste of time

Morgues

Yep.......Our Computing head teacher told us all IPT was a great scaling subject to get people to pick it for year 11.........little did we know....

Nelly

When I first picked the course, it seemed like a big step forward into computing studies, and i will get a good understanding of what it would be like to study a BIST course in university, etc. All I've found out is that the best place to view movie previews is www.apple.com/trailers!!!!

del

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Nelly
When I first picked the course, it seemed like a big step forward into computing studies, and i will get a good understanding of what it would be like to study a BIST course in university, etc. All I've found out is that the best place to view movie previews is www.apple.com/trailers!!!!
Hmm... weird... maybe everyone should come to my school and do IPT. We get so much work and info/sheets that it ain't funny. But it's good, 'cos the more resources the better.

Morgues

Really?
In my school even the teachers have given up and just tell us to read the text book

Nelly

Originally posted by natalie
whereabouts in the gong r u from?
I'm from Mangerton, what school do you go to Natalie?

Yeah, at our school they do give us sheets, but it's just the photocopies of the Heinemann textbook, which everyone has Anywayz, so there is like no point to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)