• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

using bitorrents (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
There is not yet any problem with this thread.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
NO, illegal because its got that taboo word "downloading torrents"

But. just get Bit Tornado - if u have a router forward ur ports

Last edited by a moderator:

^___^
HSC
Vangineer said:
NO, illegal because its got that taboo word "downloading torrents"

But. just get Bit Tornado - if u have a router forward ur ports
how is the term "downloading torrents" illegal :confused:

the origin of bit torrent came from linux distribution (i think) and it just that ppl used to for illegal music

sladehk

le random
HSC
Merethrond said:
This thread is going to get deleted, just like the other ones:(.
Torrent files are not illegal unless they are illegitimate copies of files under copyrighit rpotection

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sladehk said:
Torrent files are not illegal unless they are illegitimate copies of files under copyrighit rpotection
Yes, I know but people usually mention illegal sites (including myself) and the thread gets deleted. Besides, I doubt BitTorrent gets used for many legal purposes:p.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Merethrond said:
Yes, I know but people usually mention illegal sites (including myself) and the thread gets deleted. Besides, I doubt BitTorrent gets used for many legal purposes:p.
There's plenty of legal uses for Bittorrent eg unlicensed anime and linux distributions

sladehk

le random
HSC
You have to understand that forums have to abide by a set of rules which includes the disencouragement of the use of illegitimate software/files. As a result, threads which encourage or have links/ways of obtaining illicit material are usually deleted. As long as you stick to helping the person use BitTorrent and not the downloading of illicit material, it should not be deleted.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
withoutaface said:
There's plenty of legal uses for Bittorrent eg unlicensed anime and linux distributions
Yes, I do realise this but BitTorrent is overwhelmingly used for illegal purposes. People actually encourage you not to use BitTorrent as a means of obtaining Linux ISO's:p.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sladehk said:
You have to understand that forums have to abide by a set of rules which includes the disencouragement of the use of illegitimate software/files. As a result, threads which encourage or have links/ways of obtaining illicit material are usually deleted. As long as you stick to helping the person use BitTorrent and not the downloading of illicit material, it should not be deleted.
Yes, I understand this too. However, most people ask where to get the Torrent files and when someone posts an answer the thread then is facilitating illegal activities and becomes illegal and is deleted:).

^___^
HSC
Merethrond said:
Yes, I understand this too. However, most people ask where to get the Torrent files and when someone posts an answer the thread then is facilitating illegal activities and becomes illegal and is deleted:).

i'm not so sure about it
but sites hosting torrent files are actually legal
that is, they are allow to host those trackers of any sort of files

but i think they are changing that law soon, or are trying to, cos apparently suprnova technically did not break any law

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yeah, it is debatable as to whether the sites listing the Torrent files are legal or not. They only connect you to other people who have the file you want. Hence why the sites have disclaimers at the bottom of their pages saying they do not host the actual file on their site and hence are not liable. However as seen with the recent take down of many of the large Torrent trackers and link sites (most recently http://www.lokitorrent.com/ [which shouldn't be illegal to link now that you cannot get Torrents off the site - other sites are now allowing it]) I think the courts are ruling that they facilitate the breach of copyright and hence are illegal and the site's owners do not want to go up again the might of th MPAA:(.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Merethrond said:
This thread is going to get deleted, just like the other ones:(.
BitTorrent has legal uses, for example downloading Linux Distributions. Many sites use BT as a way to host copies of files (including BitTorrent clients themselves) to ease the bandwidth being used by the site.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
MedNez said:
BitTorrent has legal uses, for example downloading Linux Distributions. Many sites use BT as a way to host copies of files (including BitTorrent clients themselves) to ease the bandwidth being used by the site.
This is true, but as I said before many people will recommend to not use BitTorrent to download your Linux ISO's:p. I have heard that a gaming developer (Blizzard I think it might have been) uses BitTorrent to spread demos of their games or something. However, the fact remains that the overwhelming majority of BitTorrent traffic is illegal:p.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
downloading torrents is illegal, if u take that the majority of people use it to download copyrighted stuff. If u want to download official freebies / free stuff, direct downloads from that particular website is way faster. I dont think people use BT to download the legal shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)