Using Extension 1 formulae for projectiles? (1 Viewer)

mickbab

HSC
Hi all,

When solving projectile motion questions in Physics, are we able to utilise information from the Maths courses?

For example integration, rearranging trig identities, etc.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I'm sure you can, but there would probably often be a simpler way (especially for using integration in an HSC physics question).
In maths you can if you derive it I guess, like in 4U motion (like using ). Stuff like conservation of energy I use as a really quick way to check my answer but you can't write it as a method =P

bosresearch

HSC
Why complicate calculations when a simple equation can be used, espcially that all physics calculation questions ask you to calculate 1 variable given all others ???
For me, a SIMPLE, progressive, concise and well-sorted answer is much better than a confusing response, espcially that both methods SERVE TO GIVE YOU THE EXACT SAME ANSWER.

Im sure none of the BOS markers would be pleased to see a 2-marker projectile question taking you 6 lines to do by INTERGATION whereby you could've used a simpler equation, giving the same answer in just 3-4 lines

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
On the other hand it is a useful use to check your answer. But essentially the projectile motion equations are derived from integration and given Greek letters and subscripts.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sigh.... this is why I hate HSC Physics. They should introduce an Advanced physics course where there is much more Maths and less of this 'Assess the impact of...' kinda crap.

IamBread

HSC
Sigh.... this is why I hate HSC Physics. They should introduce an Advanced physics course where there is much more Maths and less of this 'Assess the impact of...' kinda crap.
This! That would have been so good..
Bit late for me now though.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ohh, but it is so limited. There is so much more Physics in life than just Banked curves, Circular Motion, Conical Pendulums and Resisted Motion! How about combining resisted motion with Circular Motion? What about the physics of electricity and electromagnetism? What about the static physics? There are so many branches! I understand that some of them require slightly more advanced Mathematics such as Partial Differential Equations or just Ordinary Differential Equations, but those are really not difficult at all. Perhaps those topics can replace the 'Mechanics' topic in Extension 2!

But we can only dream so much. Unfortunately, this is never going to happen.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha carrotsticks most of those are in MX2 mechanics already though

And didn't they used (does that make sense? looks wrong) ANYWAY didn't they used to have extension physics? but then it was too hard for all these bogans so they shot it down, and made normal physics just rotelearning with assess/evaluate the impact/enhanced our understanding, so that it would be easier for ppl =(

you can tell it's so full of crap because most years (inclduing this year), not a single person from the Australian Physics Olympiad camp/asian/international teams get a state rank =\

bosresearch

HSC
Perhaps the fictious "advanced physics" course would scale up more than Maths Ext1 + Maths Ext2 + Ext Classical Greek combined, given such a course would eve exist

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This Advanced Physics course sounds cool. I had a dream once where there was Extension Science. It reminded me of an "Honours" style investigation of one of Physics/Bio/Chem or mixture with harder content. Like I did something involving biochemistry.

bleakarcher

HSC
lol, maths extension I and II would become assumed knowledge in such a physics class.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I wish they reintroduced having 3 unit courses for most subs. (don't know why they stopped it, perhaps there was a good reason i dunno)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I think the reason is what Clementc said, about people having a QQ about how hard it was.
No one is forcing them to do it.

Just make getting into these courses a priviledge. Just like ext maths and eng.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)