Usyd Arts vs UniMelb Arts (1 Viewer)

DanLuu69

HSC
N/A
Hello everyone,
I am in year 12 in Melbourne. After year 12 I want to possibly do a bachelor of arts and major in either history, ancient history, literature or philosophy. After undergraduate I was hoping to do Law or Journalism. I decided I want to go to either UniMelb or Usyd because I heard they were the best (I don't want to live in Canberra so I excluded ANU). I can't decide between the two, so I need your help. Which city is better to live in? Which Uni is better? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to go to Usyd because I was born and raised in Melbourne and never been anywhere so Sydney would be a small change. It also allows me to be independent. If I decide to go to Usyd I would probably stay in NSW after undergraduate as well.

I am thinking about going to UniMelb because I heard it has a better JD. Apparently they are snobbish towards other unis and mostly accept UniMelb undergraduates.

Also I saw rankings online that says Usyd Arts>UniMelb Arts, however people say rank doesn't matter.

Thank you.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
USyd has the largest arts faculty in the southern hemisphere. So I guess if you value lots of different departments and a range of major/subject choices, that would be good.

Being independent is also good, except keep in mind the pressure of living out of home involved with the cost of living out of home. And moving cities can sometimes mean you don't have the same emotional support as you would at home.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Second what blue said. Adapting to independence and having a good support group will be important and will be linked to your performance at uni.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Disregarding the inner/centrally located areas of both Melbourne and Sydney (which are very similar, though I admit Melbourne CBD seems a lot nicer when I trawled it at night), the outskirt environment of each is a bit different. Sydney is a bit more population dense on the outskirts compared to Melbourne when I was there. That might factor into your decision.

Maybe you can consider undergraduate at UMelb and postgraduate at USyd, or vice versa? Do you want to try living in independence now during undergraduate or later in your postgraduate years?

Also, you can consider transferring from uni to uni after a few years of undergraduate.

Factor in the challenges you have to face in each situation. This is a big pretty big decision so take your time with it.

JAKZILLASAURUS

HSC
Usyd has the best English department in Australia, if that influences you at all? UniMelb is right behind them though, so it's not too big of a factor I guess. I'm at Usyd about to finish my first year in an English/Philosophy double major and I've enjoyed every part of it (except film studies, but that's probably just a personal thing, a lot of my colleagues loved intro to film).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)