USYD Chatter Thread 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Why aren't fails calculated in your WAM? Or if they are where do I see my actual WAM?

turntaker

HSC
Why aren't fails calculated in your WAM? Or if they are where do I see my actual WAM?
They don't give you wam at most unis I think, you can calculate it using the calculator.

Fails are calculated in your wam.

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Speaking about buildings, I heard from somewhere that the uni getting rid of most of the old buildings around the Darlington slide of the campus (e.g. Merewether, Wentworth, Wilkinson) sometime near in the future?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
That feeling when you've gotten used to waving your hand under the taps at uni you end up doing that everywhere else.
As far as I'm aware my uni doesn't have any magic taps :(

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Speaking about buildings, I heard from somewhere that the uni getting rid of most of the old buildings around the Darlington slide of the campus (e.g. Merewether, Wentworth, Wilkinson) sometime near in the future?
They might eventually. It's not part of their immediate 2014-2020 infrastructure plans though.

In any case, I don't think they'll demolish the Wentworth building; it would be a bit tricky given the amount of non-Union franchises there (Subway, CBA, STA Travel).

chickencoop

HSC
2 weeks before uni officially starts - and im hearing a lot of chatter about how overrated B.Psych is..

I met a few people who just completed a B. Psych at USYD, and they commented on the over saturation of psychologists ( the ones who only completed the 4 years with no postgrad study), and further implied the difficulty and competitiveness of masters in clinical psych at USYD and other universities...

Also feeling intimidated by the number of contact hours on my timetable (22/week). How doth thy balance uni + part time work + the supposedly omnipotent lifeline which i SHOULD be volunteering myself into (to set yourself up for you know what)..?

Also lifeline seems really strict on commitment to their seminars/training program - which i am scared i may not be able to fulfill due to the contact hours at uni

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Also feeling intimidated by the number of contact hours on my timetable (22/week). How doth thy balance uni + part time work + the supposedly omnipotent lifeline which i SHOULD be volunteering myself into (to set yourself up for you know what)..?
Honestly, those contact hours aren't as bad as you might imagine - and they get better too as the years go on(due to your first-year biology and chemistry units which have labs), which is convenient considering that internships/training/part-time work are generally more relevant as the years go on (many work-placement programs of various areas of study only admit second or third years).

Generally, 22 hours of class at uni should still be compatible with those kind of programs. Lectures can be skipped and watched online if they clash with those programs.

I strongly discourage any kind of part-time work that isn't related to your discipline (i.e. psychology) which clash with your classes, unless if you really need the financial benefit. Especially if you're partaking in additional training programs (e.g. Lifeline).

Ultimately I'm sure that you should be able to manage your workload. It seems crazy now, but you'll get used to it and realise that it's not that bad. For a popular discipline like psychology, going that extra mile to distinguish yourself is worth it.

Good luck!

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol it's funny you guys are interested in accounting... My mum lectures in acounting @ USYD :)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
2 weeks before uni officially starts - and im hearing a lot of chatter about how overrated B.Psych is..

I met a few people who just completed a B. Psych at USYD, and they commented on the over saturation of psychologists ( the ones who only completed the 4 years with no postgrad study), and further implied the difficulty and competitiveness of masters in clinical psych at USYD and other universities...

Also lifeline seems really strict on commitment to their seminars/training program - which i am scared i may not be able to fulfill due to the contact hours at uni
Why would you be put off by something that is difficult and competitive? Should that not be motivation to rise to the challenge?

Most job markets are over-saturated these days, but if you are good at what you do, there will be career options later down the track. Don't worry so much about that now. Enjoy the university experience while you can.

And many people have a similar amount of contact hours and manage just fine. You will too. Anything is possible with careful planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)