USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Re: Semester 2 USYD Chatter Thread

So I'm currently on 141 CP after enrolling in next year and not sure what to do.

I need 144CP right? Can I apply for special permission and do 147CP instead?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Yeah you'll have to apply for special permission. I'm in a similar situation.

zxreth

HSC

Congratulations! :).

Just a question, when you do graduate, is it the Sydney Student system that recognises you've satisfied the requirements and allows you to graduate, or do you have to apply manually through the graduations office? I've had so many problems with degree requirements in Sydney Student that I think when I graduate next year I may run into some problems.
Actually I have no idea, I am yet to receive formal notice from usyd about graduation or atleast being eligible to graduate. However Engineering & IT sent me an email around half way through this semester saying that I would be eligible to graduate at the end of this semester pending completion of all UoS this sem. If I get anything from Sydney Student i'll let you know if you'd like.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Yeah that would be great, thanks :).

RealiseNothing

HSC

My units for next year:

Sem 1

Metric Spaces
Galois Theory

Sem 2

Measure Theory
Differential Geometry

Now for sem 1 I will probably do biomaths (differential equations or whatever it's called now), and for sem 2 I will probably do third year financial maths.

Which means I need one more subject for each sem. So does anyone know anything about these units (includes what I'm considering):

MATH3963 (biomaths one)
MATH3975 (financial maths)
MATH3974 (fluid dynamics)
MATH3976 (maths computing)
MATH3977 (Lagrangian/Hamiltonian Dynamics)
MATH3978 (PDE's)
STAT2911

Then I'm even considering doing two non-maths subjects:

COMP3068
MBLG2071

Anyone done these or know anything (good or bad)?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

I'd be doing 3974 and 3978. The latter because it's a very fundamental topic in applied mathematics that has a wide range of applications, and the former mainly because I'm not fond of computers haha. From what I hear though MATH3974 is reasonably straight forward; a lot of the assessment questions are just slightly modified tutorial questions.

Aysce

HSC

Then I'm even considering doing two non-maths subjects:

COMP3068
MBLG2071

Anyone done these or know anything (good or bad)?
Can't say much about COMP3068 but I have heard some things about MBLG2071. Umm it's really general because I never did the course but expect a lot of assignments in the form of say weekly or fortnightly reports/calculations etc. In terms of content, it deals heavily with genetics so I've heard it's ideal to have a good grip on the fundamentals of genetics. Nevertheless, a few mates of mine enjoyed the subject overall - I just never did it because I suck at genetics :x. I think there might be reviews in the USyd thread - if you want, I can ask my mates for you incase you wanted something more specific.

RealiseNothing

HSC

Can't say much about COMP3068 but I have heard some things about MBLG2071. Umm it's really general because I never did the course but expect a lot of assignments in the form of say weekly or fortnightly reports/calculations etc. In terms of content, it deals heavily with genetics so I've heard it's ideal to have a good grip on the fundamentals of genetics. Nevertheless, a few mates of mine enjoyed the subject overall - I just never did it because I suck at genetics :x. I think there might be reviews in the USyd thread - if you want, I can ask my mates for you incase you wanted something more specific.
Pretty sure I won't do COMP3068 now. I have one more spot free first sem that I want to do with the gf. So it's between MBLG2071 and ANAT2008 atm.

I could always just do an extra unit sem 2 if nothing else works out though.

RealiseNothing

HSC

I'd be doing 3974 and 3978. The latter because it's a very fundamental topic in applied mathematics that has a wide range of applications, and the former mainly because I'm not fond of computers haha. From what I hear though MATH3974 is reasonably straight forward; a lot of the assessment questions are just slightly modified tutorial questions.
I've recently heard MATH3978 is run very poorly, so I'm not too sure if I want to do it now. Also I didn't do too well in MATH2965, but tbh that's because I had MATH2968 the day before and put all my effort into that instead.

I'm very close to choosing MATH3974, it does look interesting. Only thing stopping me is my physics is fairly weak so I don't know how hard it will be for me.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC

- I did MATH3978 and didn't really like the lecturer (Ben Goldys) and how it was taught but that was last year.

- MATH3974 is a very applied maths, sort of physics-y subject. If you understood the Bernoulli and viscosity stuff you learnt in junior physics then you might do well in this unit.

- MATH3977 is also a very applied unit, more on the mechanics side, you could see what the content is like by checking out that unit's page right now.

- I only recall that last year, MATH3963 final exam was heaps easier compared to the assignments which were okay.

- MATH3975 is generally not too difficult, I did it this semester 2 this year, it's harder than MATH2970, but most of it is using formulas (no formula sheet in final exam) and knowing how to use expectations, filtrations, proving something is a martingale, etc.

- STAT2911 falls on the more pure, theoretical side of statistics so expect to do a lot of proofs.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Really? I've got the MATH3078/3978 resources from the last few years and it looks pretty well organised.

If Mary Myerscough is taking it again next year I would definitely consider it, I heard she's a great lecturer.

camelrider

HSC
N/A

- I did MATH3978 and didn't really like the lecturer (Ben Goldys) and how it was taught but that was last year.

- MATH3974 is a very applied maths, sort of physics-y subject. If you understood the Bernoulli and viscosity stuff you learnt in junior physics then you might do well in this unit.

- MATH3977 is also a very applied unit, more on the mechanics side, you could see what the content is like by checking out that unit's page right now.

- I only recall that last year, MATH3963 final exam was heaps easier compared to the assignments which were okay.

- MATH3975 is generally not too difficult, I did it this semester 2 this year, it's harder than MATH2970, but most of it is using formulas (no formula sheet in final exam) and knowing how to use expectations, filtrations, proving something is a martingale, etc.

- STAT2911 falls on the more pure, theoretical side of statistics so expect to do a lot of proofs.
That's some great info. Can you comment also on other third year math subjects that you've done? That would be nice.

RealiseNothing

HSC

I only did PHYS1901 and it was my worst subject of the year lol. So I'm guessing I should avoid 3974 and 3977?

I'm 95% sure I will do 3963 (considered saving it for honours but don't think I will).

I'm 95% sure I will do 3977 (I liked 2970 and did pretty well in it considering this year's exam was insanely difficult compared to previous years due to a new lecturer)

Also I checked the timetables yesterday and turns out STAT2911 clashes with MATH3961, so I probably won't do it despite wanting to give it a try (big fan of probability).

Which leaves me with SEMESTER ONE: 3961/3962/3963 and SEMESTER TWO: 3968/3969/3975

Still room for two more subjects. Decent chance I may just choose ANAT2008 as one of them.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC

Really? I've got the MATH3078/3978 resources from the last few years and it looks pretty well organised.

If Mary Myerscough is taking it again next year I would definitely consider it, I heard she's a great lecturer.
I dunno, it's more the fact I didn't like Ben's teaching style than the content. Yeah Mary would probably be a better lecturer.

I only did PHYS1901 and it was my worst subject of the year lol. So I'm guessing I should avoid 3974 and 3977?

I'm 95% sure I will do 3963 (considered saving it for honours but don't think I will).

I'm 95% sure I will do 3975 (I liked 2970 and did pretty well in it considering this year's exam was insanely difficult compared to previous years due to a new lecturer)

Also I checked the timetables yesterday and turns out STAT2911 clashes with MATH3961, so I probably won't do it despite wanting to give it a try (big fan of probability).

Which leaves me with SEMESTER ONE: 3961/3962/3963 and SEMESTER TWO: 3968/3969/3975

Still room for two more subjects. Decent chance I may just choose ANAT2008 as one of them.
It's up to you if you wanna choose 3974 or 3977. The physics concepts in 3974/3977 are less in depth than what you learn in the actual physics subjects and more focused on the mathematics behind them. So if you feel you're better at working out the maths/equations behind the physics (than the actual physics theory itself) then you could consider trying it.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Does anyone know if you could take a look at the final exams you did after results came out?

J18134

HSC

Pretty sure I won't do COMP3068 now. I have one more spot free first sem that I want to do with the gf. So it's between MBLG2071 and ANAT2008 atm.

I could always just do an extra unit sem 2 if nothing else works out though.
MBLG2071 every day of the week. Loved the course. Its run by molecular biosciences and is a well thought out well taught course with lots of really interesting biochemistry.

RealiseNothing

HSC

It's up to you if you wanna choose 3974 or 3977. The physics concepts in 3974/3977 are less in depth than what you learn in the actual physics subjects and more focused on the mathematics behind them. So if you feel you're better at working out the maths/equations behind the physics (than the actual physics theory itself) then you could consider trying it.
I'm not really into physics so will probs give them a miss.

Does anyone know if you could take a look at the final exams you did after results came out?
Yep, you have to email usyd enquiries iirc.

MBLG2071 every day of the week. Loved the course. Its run by molecular biosciences and is a well thought out well taught course with lots of really interesting biochemistry.
I'm not a bio person so I'm worried it might be too hard.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A

I personally found ANAT2008 interesting, but parts of it are very basic bio stuff. You'll also have three exams at the end of semester: two short prac exams, and one theory (which iirc was just a lot of MCQs).

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC

Actually I have no idea, I am yet to receive formal notice from usyd about graduation or atleast being eligible to graduate. However Engineering & IT sent me an email around half way through this semester saying that I would be eligible to graduate at the end of this semester pending completion of all UoS this sem. If I get anything from Sydney Student i'll let you know if you'd like.
just checked Sydney student and got a completion letter today XD

RealiseNothing

HSC

I personally found ANAT2008 interesting, but parts of it are very basic bio stuff. You'll also have three exams at the end of semester: two short prac exams, and one theory (which iirc was just a lot of MCQs).
I have basically no bio background lol, so if it's basic that's good.

It looks like a lot of memorisation though which is the only thing that worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)