USyd HSC Courses (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Hey,

I'm interested in taking up either a BOS Distinction course, or one of these USyd Courses, for a bit of "different" work in Yr12. The BOS have outlined how Distinction courses contribute to the UAI, and how they scale etc. However the USyd website doesn't have any info on how these courses relate to the UAI.

I've looked through the forums, but all I can find is BOS Distinction Course info.

Has anyone done one of these courses? And/or know how they're scaled?

Cheers.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
What happens is, that depending on the year you take them, they count as units towards either your HSC or prelim. Additionally these units will go as credit towards a university degree (as they are uni courses). So for example if you do some kind of arts course at usyd, then it would count towards your degree and possibly shorten it.

UAC however, does not accept it in calculation of the UAI.

EDIT: USYD is also not the only uni to offer these kind of courses - uow, uncle, nas, scu, acu etc. all offer subjects that count toward the HSC but unfortunately not the UAI.

Last edited:

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Okay, so that's the whole catch with 'board endorsed' courses. Any idea on how much it would shorten the degree? Are we talking one semester? If you did two, could you knock a year off?

Is it more beneficial to do a Distinction Course that the Board of Studies actually include in the calculation of the UAI?

Thanks.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
nandayo said:
Okay, so that's the whole catch with 'board endorsed' courses. Any idea on how much it would shorten the degree? Are we talking one semester? If you did two, could you knock a year off?

Is it more beneficial to do a Distinction Course that the Board of Studies actually include in the calculation of the UAI?

Thanks.
Each university developed board endorsed course is equivalent to a first year university subject. The typical yearly load at uni is between 6 and 8 subjects (though there are exceptions). With 3 or 4 subjects a semester on a full time basis. So you would 'knock off' a semester in each subject in the BA(or similar) degree. You may also be able to do second year subjects in the first year of your degree depending on what is chosen.

As far as whether it is more beneficial, it is really a personal choice however keep in mind that most uni developed board endorsed courses are performed during a time when you don't attend regular schooling and also may be taken in either year 11 or 12. Distinction courses on the other hand may only be taken in the final level as they have no preliminary component. So there is no reason that you cannot do both. In fact it may even be helpful to do both, for example doing the USYD philosophy subject during year 11 would help you to develop the skills to succeed in the Philosophy Distinction course in year 12.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
doing something that goes to your UAI beats doing something that doesnt - more work for no reward? =S

nandayo

ismist
HSC
eh. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, I don't think i'd find it life-changing or anything - but I wouldn't do it if I hate it. Maybe it's just a better idea to focus on the remaining 9 units..

Thanks

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I'd do a Distinction Course, although I can only vouch for Philosophy. The cool thing about Philosophy is that you can ignore it for large periods of time, if you're that way inclined, and only really concentrate on it when your assessments come up. It's nice and flexible that way. Also, no huge major project for Philo students :p

And yes, it is scaled ridiculously well, and the residentials are a lot of fun.

/philosophy plug

Bookie

Banned
HSC
asheroth said:
I'd do a Distinction Course, although I can only vouch for Philosophy. The cool thing about Philosophy is that you can ignore it for large periods of time, if you're that way inclined, and only really concentrate on it when your assessments come up. It's nice and flexible that way. Also, no huge major project for Philo students

And yes, it is scaled ridiculously well, and the residentials are a lot of fun.

/philosophy plug
The downside is that philosophy students are highly homosexual and gay.

Yeah, thats right, go and philosophise why I would use synonyms next to each other. No fatalistic theory there, I just did.

So ner.

Also, I know where you live and your phone number (<3 the DC website). My girlfriend goes to NCS. Dont know what relevance that has, but now you know.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Yeah, well, well, go and observe a star or something. yeah.

Likewise, I now know where you live and your phone number.

Guys, people like Bookie do the Cosmology course. I think the choice is obvious.

Pistols at dawn, then?

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Asheroth said:
Yeah, well, well, go and observe a star or something. yeah.

Likewise, I now know where you live and your phone number.

Guys, people like Bookie do the Cosmology course. I think the choice is obvious.

Pistols at dawn, then?
More like you can battle us with words, while I pull out;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)