USYD OR UNSW COMMERCE? (1 Viewer)

scarletter

HSC
Hey guys just got an offer for USYD commerce in the late round and I'm stuck between which one to pick.
Enrollments are tomorrow for USYD so this is urgent.
I have accepted the UNSW offer from the main round but getting the USYD offer has thrown me off.
- A diverse campus life is important to me as I probably would like to get involved
- Sydney is easier to get to
- APPARENTLY people say the commerce course at UNSW is better

What to do?

Pros and con list?

halapenyo

HSC
if USYD is easier to get to. then i recommend you go there. the course will be just as good at Usyd as it is at UNSW.

but keep in mind that usyd doesnt offer actuarial studies, so if you are interested in that you would have to go to UNSW.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's generally accepted to be the better place to learn Commerce.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That isn't an explanation.
Well, for fuller explanations, go look at the other six-hundred and twenty-seven threads that has been made about this. A significant proportion chose UNSW over Sydney.

Though apparently there's a "new" Commerce degree at Sydney.

If you want the best answer, what major are you doing? What do you want out of uni life? What kind of Commerce are you interested in? etc. etc. etc.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
BoS has a higher proportion of Asian people than the entire university population and Asians tend to flock to UNSW.

Correlation is not causation.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW has more majors to choose from and you can modify your timetable.

HSC
UNSW has the Australian School of Business and AGSM...whatever that means :)

Btw, hey OzKo..which is better for law? USyd or UNSW?

ONLY OZKO ANSWERS THAT PLEASE.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not an expert in the intricacies of undergraduate law in New South Wales but they are both comparable.

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter. Availability of certain majors is always important as stated by other users in this thread (electives for Law and majors for the other combined degree program). The practicality of certain units of study must be considered. The presence of groups dedicated to mooting, debating, client interviews etc are always another good positive (I know Macquarie does this well) as this is probably the best way to get ahead of the pack after graduation. Social things such as friends going to university X or certain clubs & societies of interest are also a factor.

What people need to realise is that for undergraduate studies in particular, there is no definitive best university. All of this is subjective and in the long run, if you hold the belief that being a student of a certain university will either accelerate your career or give you particular advantages in a passive sense is sorely mistaken. What you get out of university, wherever you go is equivalent to what you put in.

tl;dr: There is no best for Law. It is subjective.

You can't modify your timetable at USyd?
You can modify your timetable.

HSC
I'm not an expert in the intricacies of undergraduate law in New South Wales but they are both comparable.

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter. Availability of certain majors is always important as stated by other users in this thread (electives for Law and majors for the other combined degree program). The practicality of certain units of study must be considered. The presence of groups dedicated to mooting, debating, client interviews etc are always another good positive (I know Macquarie does this well) as this is probably the best way to get ahead of the pack after graduation. Social things such as friends going to university X or certain clubs & societies of interest are also a factor.

What people need to realise is that for undergraduate studies in particular, there is no definitive best university. All of this is subjective and in the long run, if you hold the belief that being a student of a certain university will either accelerate your career or give you particular advantages in a passive sense is sorely mistaken. What you get out of university, wherever you go is equivalent to what you put in.

tl;dr: There is no best for Law. It is subjective.
Okay, what if I wanted to do Arts/Law...but im desperate to become a lawyer at a top-tier law firm..every other factor is negligble to me

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, what if I wanted to do Arts/Law...but im desperate to become a lawyer at a top-tier law firm..every other factor is negligble to me
Compare the majors available for the Arts component of Arts/Law at USYD & UNSW. Which interests you more?

Join clubs & societies as well.

friend177

HSC
Dude if you can't decide leave it to chance. Flip a coin.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And Arts at Sydney is generally seen to be better.

Again, this is the impressions I've gotten from reading through hundreds of threads on the same topic.

theMoment

HSC
Hey guys just got an offer for USYD commerce in the late round and I'm stuck between which one to pick.
Enrollments are tomorrow for USYD so this is urgent.
I have accepted the UNSW offer from the main round but getting the USYD offer has thrown me off.
- A diverse campus life is important to me as I probably would like to get involved
- Sydney is easier to get to
- APPARENTLY people say the commerce course at UNSW is better

What to do?

Pros and con list?
Generally speaking, the Australian School of Business is regarded as a better business school than the University of Sydney Business School. At the post-graduate level, AGSM > USYD Business and I don't think there is much dispute over that. However, you're at the undergraduate level so the reason you choose one business school over the other should be more or less determined by other factors such as location, major, scholarship, culture, etc.

For what it is worth, the ASB has a higher rank that USYD Business. Rankings, however, place a high emphasis on research output and when you look at the research institutes associated with each school, you'll see that those associated with ASB tend to have more research published in tier-1 journals.

Another consideration is whether or not you want to go on a study abroad program. If you choose to go on a business exchange, you'll see that ASB has much more prestigious business schools. From what I've heard, USYD Business is not offering Wharton as an exchange option for this semester, whereas ASB sends between four to eight students each year. ASB also offers Stern. Wharton and Stern are usually THE target schools of Wall Street placements, but now I'm going on a tangent. If you're interested in economics, you can even go to Cornell. Unfortunately, USYD does not currently offer those schools. USYD however, are in the middle of (?) or have already gone through a very rigious curriculum change. It's designed to be a lot more innovative amongst other things. Just like how ASB offers better business exchange options, if you were doing say for example a combined degree with Arts, Law or whatever, USYD offers law exchanges to Cornell, NYU, Duke, Harvard etc.

At the end of the day, most people associate ASB as the better B-School because of its industry links. USYD is incorporating this into their program, but is really nowhere near how far ASB has come with its industry placements. The other main point is that there are more business electives/options/majors and a media report also indicated that the ASB had the most academics from foreign institutions.

But, it's what you put in to your university life that will make it better than the other. If you prefer USYD because of its cultural life, societies and what not, USYD should be the university to go to. Although it might seem like UNSW has a more favourable opinion, what will count are the marks you attain and the extra-curricula activities you engage in. For exchange, only those with WAMs in the HD range will get to go to institutions like Wharton so unless you're one of them, go to the place you feel that you are more comfortable.

When you look for a job, most recruiters wont differentiate between USYD/UNSW. Some will however, because it is their alma mater. But that's life and just a luck of the draw. Other than that, graduating from either of the two universities shoudl yield the same opportunities.

HSC
Compare the majors available for the Arts component of Arts/Law at USYD & UNSW. Which interests you more?

Join clubs & societies as well.
Both universities offer the same components for Arts AND Law. I live exactly ten minutes from each university. I am indifferent to the social lfie on offer at both universities. Which university should I choose?

acemusic415

HSC
Generally speaking, the Australian School of Business is regarded as a better business school than the University of Sydney Business School. At the post-graduate level, AGSM > USYD Business and I don't think there is much dispute over that. However, you're at the undergraduate level so the reason you choose one business school over the other should be more or less determined by other factors such as location, major, scholarship, culture, etc.

For what it is worth, the ASB has a higher rank that USYD Business. Rankings, however, place a high emphasis on research output and when you look at the research institutes associated with each school, you'll see that those associated with ASB tend to have more research published in tier-1 journals.

Another consideration is whether or not you want to go on a study abroad program. If you choose to go on a business exchange, you'll see that ASB has much more prestigious business schools. From what I've heard, USYD Business is not offering Wharton as an exchange option for this semester, whereas ASB sends between four to eight students each year. ASB also offers Stern. Wharton and Stern are usually THE target schools of Wall Street placements, but now I'm going on a tangent. If you're interested in economics, you can even go to Cornell. Unfortunately, USYD does not currently offer those schools. USYD however, are in the middle of (?) or have already gone through a very rigious curriculum change. It's designed to be a lot more innovative amongst other things. Just like how ASB offers better business exchange options, if you were doing say for example a combined degree with Arts, Law or whatever, USYD offers law exchanges to Cornell, NYU, Duke, Harvard etc.

At the end of the day, most people associate ASB as the better B-School because of its industry links. USYD is incorporating this into their program, but is really nowhere near how far ASB has come with its industry placements. The other main point is that there are more business electives/options/majors and a media report also indicated that the ASB had the most academics from foreign institutions.

But, it's what you put in to your university life that will make it better than the other. If you prefer USYD because of its cultural life, societies and what not, USYD should be the university to go to. Although it might seem like UNSW has a more favourable opinion, what will count are the marks you attain and the extra-curricula activities you engage in. For exchange, only those with WAMs in the HD range will get to go to institutions like Wharton so unless you're one of them, go to the place you feel that you are more comfortable.

When you look for a job, most recruiters wont differentiate between USYD/UNSW. Some will however, because it is their alma mater. But that's life and just a luck of the draw. Other than that, graduating from either of the two universities shoudl yield the same opportunities.
Now that is an explanation. Very interesting I must say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)