USYD or UNSW? (1 Viewer)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys so I'm in a bit of a pickle. As you can probably tell I want to do Advance Science and Comp Sci.
Problem is I cant decide between UNSW or USYD!

Its my passion to do Science, however as most know there aren't that many jobs here in Australia for Science Research.
Also the fact that it is extremely competitive and so I wont know if I'm good enough until I try it out in UNI.

My other option Computer Science which is something I'm really good at as well. Problem is USYD is better for Science while UNSW is better for Comp Sci.

A bit of time ago I found out that USYD is actually 4th in the world in employability rankings!

So now my question is should I choose UNSW or USYD? because if science doesn't work out UNSW is ranked higher for Comp Sci, but USYD has a higher employability ranking AND its ranked higher for science, so this would help if I was to look for a career in science outside Australia.

(Oh and btw the ATAR is not too high a concern, as currently my predicted atar is comfortably higher than the cutoff)

Thanks. :D

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Distance is not a concern, I'm basically the same distance away from both.
Only about a 10-15 minute difference according to google

captainneuro

HSC
If you're thinking of doing research, i would recommend usyd just because of its much better recognition internationally. For aus, doesn't matter which has better ranking between the two, both well off here lol

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Does USYD even offer Science and Comp Sci?
I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks,

DrDusk

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah that makes sense.

Just two more questions, sorry guys

Does USYD only offer the Bachelor of Science? because at UNSW you get Advanced Science.

Also the degree is Advanced computing/Science, does that mean you would focus more of your uni time into the Advanced computing major?, because I want to make sure that I'm not missing out on anything that students doing just science would do.

Thanks a lot for the replies, ;)
USYD degrees are just so confusing lol

andrew12678

HSC
Before 2018 USYD did have Science (Advanced) which was a 3 year degree but have since replaced it with Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced Studies so it seems like 2 separate degrees. I don't really think advanced matters, it just means you are forced to do a certain amount of advanced units in 2nd and 3rd year which are usually substantially harder than the normal stream.

If you are interested in the double degree of Advanced Computing/Science like you said above, do take a look at:

https://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-page/degree_id/771

However, like I said if you are interested in doing one field in science eg. Physics then I would recommend doing Bachelor of Science (w/o Advanced Studies) and double majoring in Comp Sci and that 1 particular field-it will honestly save you a lot of effort. But if you are interested in multiple fields eg. you want to do Physics and Chemistry for Science then the double degree of Science and Advanced Computing is your go

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Ah that makes sense.

Just two more questions, sorry guys

Does USYD only offer the Bachelor of Science? because at UNSW you get Advanced Science.

Also the degree is Advanced computing/Science, does that mean you would focus more of your uni time into the Advanced computing major?, because I want to make sure that I'm not missing out on anything that students doing just science would do.

Thanks a lot for the replies, ;)
USYD degrees are just so confusing lol
both units offer adv science
And no, if you do a double degree you complete majors in both areas of study of equal credits

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Before 2018 USYD did have Science (Advanced) which was a 3 year degree but have since replaced it with Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced Studies so it seems like 2 separate degrees. I don't really think advanced matters, it just means you are forced to do a certain amount of advanced units in 2nd and 3rd year which are usually substantially harder than the normal stream.

If you are interested in the double degree of Advanced Computing/Science like you said above, do take a look at:

https://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-page/degree_id/771

However, like I said if you are interested in doing one field in science eg. Physics then I would recommend doing Bachelor of Science (w/o Advanced Studies) and double majoring in Comp Sci and that 1 particular field-it will honestly save you a lot of effort. But if you are interested in multiple fields eg. you want to do Physics and Chemistry for Science then the double degree of Science and Advanced Computing is your go

Oh that makes so much more sense, dammit USYD makes everything so complicated.

Thats so sad that you cant take advanced science(USYD's equivalent) and Advanced computing. Damn only UNSW offers that :(

andrew12678

HSC
I don't exactly see why Advanced matters so much lol, BSc and BSc(Advanced) are virtually the same thing and you can still combine both with Advanced Computing.

Although I don't go to UNSW, taking a quick look at what they have, I don't think they have Advanced Science/Computer Science either. They have Advanced Science (Honours)/Computer Science (which has the honours years, unless you're interested in doing honours) or Science/Computer Science (which is exactly what you would have at Usyd)

https://www.science.unsw.edu.au/fut...undergraduate/degrees/sciencecomputer-science
https://www.science.unsw.edu.au/fut...rees/advanced-science-honourscomputer-science

captainneuro

HSC
Although I don't go to UNSW, taking a quick look at what they have, I don't think they have Advanced Science/Computer Science either.
The adv sci with hons is adv sci/comp sci at unsw, theres no such thing as adv sci course without honours

Last edited:

andrew12678

HSC
The adv sci with hons is adv sci/comp sci at unsw, theres no such thing as adv sci course without honours, anywhere
Well admittedly I know very little about UNSW Science but anyways mandatory honours doesn't sound too appealing imo. There was the 2017 and older Usyd BSc(Adv) which was definitely without honours and your current degree which is the current rendition of that degree is also without honours

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Well thanks a lot everyone, I finally understand them USYD degrees lol

It really helped in making a decision :D

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Check out both campuses and see which one feels more "right".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)