USYD or UWS. (1 Viewer)

HSC
So I either want to go Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy and as long as I get my qualifications I don't really care what university I graduate from.

However a lot of people I have spoken to don't think UWS is a good idea and that doing a Health Science degree in USYD is better than getting into a course securely in UWS. I don't think I would get the 98 ATAR required for physio so I was thinking of maybe doing Podiatry and transferring since it includes the Bachelor of Health Science.

But with that ATAR I can get into USYD and do the B.Health Sci there. What would you do if you were me? Do employers REALLY care about which uni you graduate from? USYD is a lot closer for me to travel to so I am putting that into consideration. But I also know that post-grad work in USYD is very difficult to get into, especially for physio.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Have you checked if you are applicable with the 5 point regional bonus point scheme for UWS? This will lower cutoff to 93-94. There is also the flexible entry scheme for USYD where you have to get band 4 minimum for specific subjects for 5 bonus points - however this will apply only if there are still available spots

madharris

HSC
N/A
However a lot of people I have spoken to don't think UWS is a good idea and that doing a Health Science degree in USYD is better than getting into a course securely in UWS.
These people have no idea what they're talking about. All OT and physio courses have to be approved by the australian OT and physio board otherwise they're not allowed to run. So there's a minimum standard that the courses have to be.
You have just as much chance getting a job after you graduate from UWS as you do from USYD.

In my opinion, health science and USYD is a pointless degree unless you want to end up in health promotion or something like that. If you want to transfer into physio, you would need at least a D average which isn't as easy as it seems since health science is actually a difficult course.

What would you do if you were me?
You said USYD is a bit closer which definitely is something to think about, however if I were you, I would go to UWS.
Purely because you're guaranteed a position in physio (or OT), whereas if you do health science at usyd it's a lot more complicated and difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)